Top 10 Coaches Heading into the Season

Mike Gundy IMO is one of the best coaches in college football.

And why wouldn’t Lane be in the top 10 coming into this season?

Why I can’t have my own opinion?
Lol Nah you can have a opinion my boy.

I think Mike Gundy is a good coach. U think Okie st football you think of the mullet and the fact that guy is a man and indeed over 40. He’s in a perfect situation and culture for himself to carve out the caree he has..and I think there’s plethora of good coaches in CFB who don’t get the shine because of situations etc..I just wouldn’t put him in the top 10

As for kiffin..I just don’t agree he’s a top 10 HC. Ppl say guys like jimbo and Kirby are overrated..Lane is the walking embodiment of overrated..but aye I respect your opinions on here even if I disagree with this particular topic

Advertisement
No, Clemson had the #2 ranked Defense in the Nation & was hit with a rash of injuries.

They’ve still recruited on an Elite level over the last 4 years & have a young team with a ton of talent returning.

I think their Defensive replacements for Venables were questionable hires especially Wes Goodwin, but I actually think their Offense will be much better this year with Brandon Streeter as the OC rather than Tony Elliot.

I personally don’t agree with Dabo’s methodology of only making in-house hires, but what he’s built is a culture that has continuity & makes it easier to replace changeover when coaches do finally up & leave, they’re not completely changing everything, it’s a conveyer belt that keeps the same message & reiterates stability within their organizational structure.

I don’t think DJ Ukulele is all that good, but Cade Klubnik has potential to be the next great Clemson QB, he has terrific arm talent & overall ability, I’m curious to see if they’ll have an open competition at QB this Spring/Summer/Fall, if so I expect him to overtake DJ at some point.

But even so still, Clemson has a very good roster, Miami fans are selling way low on Clemson based on classic offseason Homerism, but the truth is, even in a down year they were 10-3 & are set to maintain their stronghold on the ACC, I fully expect them to win the Atlantic & be in the ACCCG.
You’re probably right. I’m not as high on Dabo as some are but he’s built that program with a good foundation. I do wonder if they regress some without Venables being there. Time will ultimately tell and until we show we can beat them the ACC runs through Clemson.

My top 10:

1) Nick Saban
2) Dabo Swinney
3) Kirby Smart (🤢🤮)
4) Lincoln Riley
5) Mike Gundy
6) Ryan Day
7) Kyle Whittingham
8) Paul Chryst
9) Mario Cristobal
10) Lane Kiffin

Honorable Mention: Jim Harbaugh, Brian Kelly, Mark Stoops, Hugh Freeze, Dave Aranda, Luke Fickell, Kalani Sitake, Billy Napier, Jamey Chadwell, Blake Anderson, Jay Norvell, Brady Hoke

Coaches I think are set to breakout: Jeff Traylor, Sonny Dykes, Josh Heupel, Eli Drinkwitz, Shane Beamer, Joey McGuire, Rhett Lashlee, Tyson Helton, Timmy Chang, GJ Kinne

What’s yalls top 10?

I would throw Bill Clark at least In honorable mention. He took a program that was literally dead and just keep’s winning.

Kirby dumb goes no higher that number seven for me.

Yes he’s got the one ship, but there are way too many red flags, the only thing that overcomes them is his Alabama type roster, with five stars in the 3-deep. Give Danny Miaz that roster, and even he might stumble into the playoffs.

Remember when Kirby dumb was hired, the booster base at UGA went on high alert and started an unprecedented spending campaign to attract recruits, the bags were frequent and heavy, much heavier than what UGA was doing before, and probably surpassing Alabama’s spend.
The last paragraph sounds somewhat familiar to a current situation lol

Lol Nah you can have a opinion my boy.

I think Mike Gundy is a good coach. U think Okie st football you think of the mullet and the fact that guy is a man and indeed over 40. He’s in a perfect situation and culture for himself to carve out the caree he has..and I think there’s plethora of good coaches in CFB who don’t get the shine because of situations etc..I just wouldn’t put him in the top 10

As for kiffin..I just don’t agree he’s a top 10 HC. Ppl say guys like jimbo and Kirby are overrated..Lane is the walking embodiment of overrated..but aye I respect your opinions on here even if I disagree with this particular topic
Mike Gundy is 149-66 & 11-5 in Bowl games & has done so at a program like OK ST that doesn’t have the same resources that people think they have like Texas, Oklahoma, TAMU etc.. he turned OK ST into a viable program, if he wasn’t there they’d be a middling 7/8 win team. The only reason they ever have a chance to compete in the Big XII is because of him.

Cocaine Lane is 76-41 with 2 conference titles & I don’t see how he could be overrated when he’s probably one of the most disliked coaches in the country & has especially become hated by canes fans by simple proxy lol.

Winning 10 games at Ole Miss is impressive, considering only 3 coaches in their school history since 1970 have ever won 10 games in a season & one of them had to have multiple wins vacated for violations. Meaning the majority of coaches in their program history have not won there, it’s not an easy program to win at at all, so winning at Ole Miss at a time when the SEC West is as stacked as its ever been is no easy feat to sneeze at.

Advertisement

My top 10:

1) Nick Saban
2) Dabo Swinney
3) Kirby Smart (🤢🤮)
4) Lincoln Riley
5) Mike Gundy
6) Ryan Day
7) Kyle Whittingham
8) Paul Chryst
9) Mario Cristobal
10) Lane Kiffin

Honorable Mention: Jim Harbaugh, Brian Kelly, Mark Stoops, Hugh Freeze, Dave Aranda, Luke Fickell, Kalani Sitake, Billy Napier, Jamey Chadwell, Blake Anderson, Jay Norvell, Brady Hoke

Coaches I think are set to breakout: Jeff Traylor, Sonny Dykes, Josh Heupel, Eli Drinkwitz, Shane Beamer, Joey McGuire, Rhett Lashlee, Tyson Helton, Timmy Chang, GJ Kinne

What’s yalls top 10?

Nice list. I honestly believe it's Nick, Lincoln, Mario and everyone else.

IMHO, Smart had the best team money could buy. I don't believe he's that great of a coach. If you put Smart that high, put Jimbo as 3a. They're the same. It's about the boosters more than the coach. And I don't think that is sustainable over the long run.

Mike Gundy is 149-66 & 11-5 in Bowl games & has done so at a program like OK ST that doesn’t have the same resources that people think they have like Texas, Oklahoma, TAMU etc.. he turned OK ST into a viable program, if he wasn’t there they’d be a middling 7/8 win team. The only reason they ever have a chance to compete in the Big XII is because of him.

Cocaine Lane is 76-41 with 2 conference titles & I don’t see how he could be overrated when he’s probably one of the most disliked coaches in the country & has especially become hated by canes fans by simple proxy lol.

Winning 10 games at Ole Miss is impressive, considering only 3 coaches in their school history since 1970 have ever won 10 games in a season & one of them had to have multiple wins vacated for violations. Meaning the majority of coaches in their program history have not won there, it’s not an easy program to win at at all, so winning at Ole Miss at a time when the SEC West is as stacked as its ever been is no easy feat to sneeze at.

Lane……

taylor swift haters gonna hate GIF
haters know GIF

Advertisement
Nice list. I honestly believe it's Nick, Lincoln, Mario and everyone else.

IMHO, Smart had the best team money could buy. I don't believe he's that great of a coach. If you put Smart that high, put Jimbo as 3a. They're the same. It's about the boosters more than the coach. And I don't think that is sustainable over the long run.

Smart has been to two CFP games so far. Like as much as I wanna trash the dude, he’s elevated UGA to another level, one that surpasses Richt. He’s been there 6 yrs & has 4 SEC East Crowns, 2 SEC crowns, & now a Nat’l title. I compared him to Richt & they were eerily similar to each other’s tenure, but I have to admit Smart better utilizes his pieces. I won’t hate b/c I don’t like him.

Objectively based upon recent successes:

1. Saban
2. Dabo
3. Smart
4. Day
5. Riley
6. Cristobal
7. Fickell
8. Kelly
9. Harbaugh
10. Aranda

I’m not putting Jimbo in the top 10 til this dude can prove he can win more than 8 games in a season in a non-Covid yr.
Jumbo is 34-14 in his first 4 years at TAMU thus far.

Kevin Sumlin was 36-16 in his first 4 years at TAMU.

Post BCS era Jumbo has been at best slightly above average IMO.

Advertisement

My top 10:

1) Nick Saban
2) Dabo Swinney
3) Kirby Smart (🤢🤮)
4) Lincoln Riley
5) Mike Gundy
6) Ryan Day
7) Kyle Whittingham
8) Paul Chryst
9) Mario Cristobal
10) Lane Kiffin

What’s yalls top 10?

Hopefully, when it’s all said and done, he ends up in all our top 3 and is carried by two lineman to hold up #6 and more..

Lanes is overrated Imo because I include his whole body of work as a HC..that includes the debacle at Tenn..OAK..then USC. ALONG WITH the Good job he’s done at Ole miss so far..we will see what he does with jaxson Dart who I watched at 3 of hes starts at USC and I wasn’t impressed. Like u alluded to the SEC west is stacked. And there’s at least 4 programs I’d put ahead of Ole miss in that division. That’s Bama, Arkansas (based on how they are operating rn overall ), A&M and LSU..we’ll see what he can do to replace the pieces he lost

As for gundy your not wrong. He’s definitely in the top 15 imo. For me it’s him coming up short in some of the biggest career game when he’s had very good rosters to get it over the hump. Destinations and situations matter. Gundy up at Okie state is a marriage made in Heaven. He’s a program builder and that’s perfect where he’s at. If he ever added the recruiter aspect there $omeway somehow then I’d put him in my top ten.

Rn No order

Dabo
Day
Riley
Saban
Kirby
B kelly
Jimbo
Jim
Aranda ( resume isn’t deserving but this dude has IT imo)
my 10th is tough..but I’ll go with 2. Mario and Stoops

Lanes is overrated Imo because I include his whole body of work as a HC..that includes the debacle at Tenn..OAK..then USC. ALONG WITH the Good job he’s done at Ole miss so far..we will see what he does with jaxson Dart who I watched at 3 of hes starts at USC and I wasn’t impressed. Like u alluded to the SEC west is stacked. And there’s at least 4 programs I’d put ahead of Ole miss in that division. That’s Bama, Arkansas (based on how they are operating rn overall ), A&M and LSU..we’ll see what he can do to replace the pieces he lost

As for gundy your not wrong. He’s definitely in the top 15 imo. For me it’s him coming up short in some of the biggest career game when he’s had very good rosters to get it over the hump. Destinations and situations matter. Gundy up at Okie state is a marriage made in Heaven. He’s a program builder and that’s perfect where he’s at. If he ever added the recruiter aspect there $omeway somehow then I’d put him in my top ten.

Rn No order

Dabo
Day
Riley
Saban
Kirby
B kelly
Jimbo
Jim
Aranda ( resume isn’t deserving but this dude has IT imo)
my 10th is tough..but I’ll go with 2. Mario and Stoops
He was at Tennessee for 1 year & went 28-15 at USC.

Advertisement
Jumbo is 34-14 in his first 4 years at TAMU thus far.

Kevin Sumlin was 36-16 in his first 4 years at TAMU.

Post BCS era Jumbo has been at best slightly above average IMO.

Facts, & if Cuddy don’t bring at least a CFP birth in the next 3 yrs w/ all that money TAMU poured into facilities, his contract, & recruiting…I might place him in the Ed O category of lightening in the bottle.

Literally don't give a flying fvck what anyone outside of the UM community thinks right now. Head down, grind away.

I don't know where Mario ranks, and I think anywhere from 5-15 is understandable, but there is no one I'd rather have as our head coach right here, right now, today. LFG.

My top 10:

1) Nick Saban
2) Dabo Swinney
3) Kirby Smart (🤢🤮)
4) Lincoln Riley
5) Mike Gundy
6) Ryan Day
7) Kyle Whittingham
8) Paul Chryst
9) Mario Cristobal
10) Lane Kiffin

What’s yalls top 10?

Smart #2 is gross.

Facts, & if Cuddy don’t bring at least a CFP birth in the next 3 yrs w/ all that money TAMU poured into facilities, his contract, & recruiting…I might place him in the Ed O category of lightening in the bottle.
**** Rell, you putting Jimbo with Coach O… that’s rough lol

I think Jimbo is actually good coach. When he took over TAMU, the transition of styles was going to make it a long rebuild. I do agree with you. If he doesn’t win the west and make to the CFP in 3 years, he might end up on a milk carton

Advertisement
Back