Tommy Tanks?

IMG has scholarships. I don't see tuition as an issue here at Miami moving forward. I would expect the baseball team to get NIL deals from Ruiz. His son played at UM (Johnny Ruiz). I haven't heard about any baseball NIL deal, but I expect they're out there. We could really own college baseball if NIL takes off there. It would make up for the lack of scholarship money and also put money in these young men's pockets.
NIL deals aren’t just free money. There is an expectation that the athlete will promote a good or service. The athletes that get them play a popular glamour sport like football or basketball, or are stars in that sport, or have a big social media presence. I don’t think Ruiz is just gonna throw money at some JUCO transfer bench warmer in a niche sport like college baseball without an expectation of ROI. But if he does, that’s great. Ain’t my money.

Advertisement
It’s like when 12 kids are paying $2,500 to play on a travel ball team. They are paying for uniforms, tournaments, coaches, and for the kid who throws 93. Your fees are covered, son.
Can’t figure out the bigger scam- travel ball or showcases.

NIL deals aren’t just free money. There is an expectation that the athlete will promote a good or service. The athletes that get them play a popular glamour sport like football or basketball, or are stars in that sport, or have a big social media presence. I don’t think Ruiz is just gonna throw money at some JUCO transfer bench warmer in a niche sport like college baseball without an expectation of ROI. But if he does, that’s great. Ain’t my money.
Uhhh, I know this. I know what NIL is and have written several posts against pay for play.

I think Tommy Tanks has market value. Walters, the "Angel of Death has market value. Palmquist has market value. YoYo has market value. Any baseball player that could be drafted has future market value.

Also, getting to Omaha has market value. Winning a national title has market value.

The value is whatever the other side is willing to pay.

Ruiz has NIL deals with 100+ UM athletes including baseball players according to the Washington Post.

Advertisement
Didn’t he say (maybe it was jr) he wants to sign every single long snapper in the country to an nil deal? Not much roi available there.

Uhhh, I know this. I know what NIL is and have written several posts against pay for play.

I think Tommy Tanks has market value. Walters, the "Angel of Death has market value. Palmquist has market value. YoYo has market value. Any baseball player that could be drafted has future market value.

Also, getting to Omaha has market value. Winning a national title has market value.

The value is whatever the other side is willing to pay.

Ruiz has NIL deals with 100+ UM athletes including baseball players according to the Washington Post.
Existing players have some marketing value, but like it says in the article “can’t be used as inducements to go to a particular school”. So the new recruit looking at his balance after his partial scholarship can’t technically expect anything until he gets to campus and there’s no guarantee once he does. Unless Ruiz is breaking the rules which it kinda looks like with that Kansas basketball player.

Existing players have some marketing value, but like it says in the article “can’t be used as inducements to go to a particular school”. So the new recruit looking at his balance after his partial scholarship can’t technically expect anything until he gets to campus and there’s no guarantee once he does. Unless Ruiz is breaking the rules which it kinda looks like with that Kansas basketball player.
No, you're wrong on Ruiz. He made the deal after the Kansas State player signed.

Of course Tommy Tanks would get a deal after signing with Miami and not before. Why would you think a lawyer who knows the law would break the rules?

It's not that hard for a player to know his value without breaking any rules. These guys have agents now which is perfectly legal.

Advertisement
No, you're wrong on Ruiz. He made the deal after the Kansas State player signed.

Of course Tommy Tanks would get a deal after signing with Miami and not before. Why would you think a lawyer who knows the law would break the rules?

It's not that hard for a player to know his value without breaking any rules. These guys have agents now which is perfectly legal.
Of course he “signed” the deal after the transfer. No way in **** did he not know what was waiting for him through his handlers, though. It’s the reason he came.

Advertisement

Is it illegal to sign an NIL before your school? Didn’t Shemar sign his NIL deal the night before signing day? And that 5 star QB going to Tenn also already signed, didn’t he?

Advertisement
Nobody is enforcing and the paperwork is probably post dated.
I honestly have no idea. I always thought it was only binding if you went to that school, so it wasn’t a big deal. Kinda like guys signing FA agreements with multiple schools before committing/signing. IIRC Dalvin signed an FA agreement with Miami, UF and FSU.

I honestly have no idea. I always thought it was only binding if you went to that school, so it wasn’t a big deal. Kinda like guys signing FA agreements with multiple schools before committing/signing. IIRC Dalvin signed an FA agreement with Miami, UF and FSU.
Well, signing an NIL before signing a letter of intent is considered pay-for-play which is a violation in Florida, Texas, and other states. It's buying a player to go to the school.

Yes, players are being bought, but in most cases it's a grey area because technically the NIL is after the signing.

Because the NCAA NIL policy depends on each state's NIL law, it's really up to the state for enforcement which little to nothing is being done.

Well, signing an NIL before signing a letter of intent is considered pay-for-play which is a violation in Florida, Texas, and other states. It's buying a player to go to the school.

Yes, players are being bought, but in most cases it's a grey area because technically the NIL is after the signing.

Because the NCAA NIL policy depends on each state's NIL law, it's really up to the state for enforcement which little to nothing is being done.
So if you maintain that players are bought and the NIL process isn’t enforced, how can definitively say in your other post that the Nijel Pack deal was on the up and up?

Advertisement
Back