Tomahawk Nation Game Predictions

Advertisement
Man, some of those guys are flat out delusional. While I agree anything can happen in a rivalry game, the thing that usually happens is the better team wins. Right now the better team is Miami, and I don't think it's close. When they are happy to have no pass Travis back because he gives them their best chance, it tells you where they are as a program.

I think they have a shot... because I don't trust Manny's defense.

If they neutralize the initial pass rush, then they will exploit the middle. Unfortunately, with Manny's defense, we see receivers running free all over the place in every game.
Manny's delayed blitz will not work with someone like Travis.
Fortunately, their OL is not very good. That will help get some penetration.

Either way, our offense should have a field day..

Advertisement
Stepping back and looking at this game I see no way they should be within ten points. Our strength on defense ( if you want to call it that ) is run defense. They run the ball so that SHOULD lean in our favor. Their secondary is awful and we have Tvda gawd. Another matchup that leans our way. But knowing our Head Coach they’ll likely move the ball well , taking time off the clock and make the game into a dogfight. The recipe to shredding Mannys defense is out there. It would nice to have an easy Saturday against a bad team but we all know that’s unlikely. Take your blood pressure meds.

fsu horse falls.gif

Advertisement
There is a healthy belief among some up there that their defense is good (its not) and our defense is worse than 11 zombies (compelling, but also false), and that Jordan Travis (who they admit sucks but also might be given superpowers this game) just needs to complete “a few downfield shots to keep Miami honest in the run game”.

Here are some facts (that do not rely on our players getting a mythological ring of power from Sauron):

- Our defense is not good, like fire the DC not good, but we still only give up 17 more yards per game than their “vastly improved” and “formidable” defense.

- Points per game difference: 3.

- Miami‘s pass defense appears worse than FSU’s, for sure. Miami has also played 5 of the top 20 passers in the nation this year. FSU has played 3. They’re about to play their 4th, however.

- Jordan Travis is not in the top 100.

- Miami held Sam Howell to less yardage than FSU, passing and rushing. Also held Leary to less.

- “Yeah, but Miami is terrible against the run, which is what FSU does well.” Miami is better against the run than FSU, 153 ypg vs 135.

- As a point of comparison to these defense stats, Miami averages about 75 more yards and 4 points a game more on offense thank FSU does.

None of this is to even remotely suggest Miami has a good defense, we do not. We have a bad defense, and they have *maybe* a moderately less bad defense with 1 good unit: the DL, which cannot mask how atrocious their secondary is.

By contrast we are a legitimately good offense, (Top 25, top 5 the last few weeks) and their offense is bad (86th). I don’t blame FSU fans for talking themselves up this game, we are not anywhere near a dominant or complete team. Upsets happen, they can win this game, but we have a much bigger advantage on offense than they have on defense.

There is a healthy belief among some up there that their defense is good (its not) and our defense is worse than 11 zombies (compelling, but also false), and that Jordan Travis (who they admit sucks but also might be given superpowers this game) just needs to complete “a few downfield shots to keep Miami honest in the run game”.

Here are some facts (that do not rely on our players getting a mythological ring of power from Sauron):

- Our defense is not good, like fire the DC not good, but we still only give up 17 more yards per game than their “vastly improved” and “formidable” defense.

- Miami‘s pass defense appears worse than FSU’s, for sure. Miami has also played 5 of the top 20 passers in the nation this year. FSU has played 3. They’re about to play their 4th, however.

- Miami held Sam Howell to less yardage than FSU, passing and rushing. Also held Leary to less.

- “Yeah, but Miami is terrible against the run, which is what FSU does well.” Miami is better against the run than FSU, 153 ypg vs 135.

- As a point of comparison to these defense stats, Miami averages about 75 more yards and 4 points a game more on offense thank FSU does.

None of this is to even remotely suggest Miami has a good defense, we do not. We have a bad defense, and they have *maybe* a moderately less bad defense with 1 good unit: the DL, which cannot mask how atrocious their secondary is.

By contrast we are a legitimately good offense, (Top 25, top 5 the last few weeks) and their offense is bad (86th). I don’t blame FSU fans for talking themselves up this game, we are not anywhere near a dominant or complete team. Upsets happen, they can win this game, but we have a much bigger advantage on offense than they have on defense.
We’ve actually pretty decent against the run lately.

Advertisement
Our run defense while not great has been decent and if we're not going for knockout shoulder hits we should hold their run gane down. Their defense on the other hand sucks if they're not getting pass rush from Thomas and Johnson so I think we handle that early and often

Advertisement
This could be one of the worst displays of something resembling football you will ever see. Anything can happen, or not happen. My prediction is there will be more tvs broken by flying objects than total points scored.
As long as they're all in trailers around Tallahassee, I find your prediction acceptable.

'Preciate the balanced assessment Inday. The truth is we should win this game comfortably despite having a mediocre defense. Which for all my negativity on Manny as HC and DC is improving, and not just because of whom we've played these past few games. We're tackling better, and stopping the run better as Cribby pointed out.

Advertisement
Back