Toledo Thoughts

edge

Junior
Irma proved to be a positive and a negative. Positive = we didn't have to play FSU with a secondary in disarray. Negative = we missed a much needed warm up game against Ark St. and the layoff showed big time in the first half today.

QB = Nice to have a mobile QB again. It became so frustrating watching Kaaya in the pocket. Rosier is athletic and is fun to watch when he gets loose. The first TD he scored should have counted. I am going to say this and I might get roasted, but Rosier throws a better deep ball then Kaaya. His deep balls have been on the money first two games. We watched Kaaya underthrow so many deep balls in his career. Rosier gets the ball out front, has nice loft on it and his receivers always have a chance to catch it.

RB = So happy Walton chose to commit here despite two other "so called" big time RB's committed at the time. This dude is flat out fun to watch. He's a warrior. He is the type of player that puts teams over the top and helps them with championships. Not sure who the last Miami 200 yard rusher was. Homer is a beast as well. This guy will flat out run you over. Watch for him to put a few guys out of games this year.

WR = Berrios proves hard work pays off. When he first got here he was a bit out of his league. He has worked his tail off and become a very good receiver. Harley had a good game. But what happened to Langham and Cager? Completely out of the game plan today. Seems like we could have used them in the first half. Either way we have a very good problem at receiver right now. Our number one receiver was out, yet two young studs named Dallas and Thomas did not sniff the field. We are simply loaded there. Mullins is a disappointment though. Hands are not very good. Seems like Dallas should be taking his reps.

OL = Overall I grade them at a B+ today. Clearly they got the job done. Just seems like they should have done better on the first goal line stand. No push on 3 runs in a row. I still say the first TD by Rosier called back was not a hold. Donaldson is just ridiculous. Absolute monster and we would not be as good without him.

TE = Very good performance here today on what was asked of them. Irvin got tossed like a rag doll on one goal line play. Completely lost leverage and got thrown in the way of Homer. That needs to be fixed. Other then that those guys did fine.

DT = McIntosh had an excellent game. Norton has not played well yet. Moten had some nice plays. Overall they had good push and played their lanes well.

DL = Still waiting on these guys to get back to last years level. Plain and simple they have to get better to help this secondary situation. Did DJack even play? Coach K needs to work his magic here and do it quickly.

LB = Just not sure what to say here. These guys are not playing as well as they should be. Is it the scheme? Is it sophomore slump? They are just a step slow in all their reads. Also they are not doing a good job disguising there blitz. And when they do get through they are coming in without control allowing the QB to make a simple move to avoid them. Just like the DL, we know these guys have the talent, but they have to get better and quickly. One thing I noticed is Perry got more burn then McCloud in second half. Wonder what the issue their was. Perry played alright, but he does not have the talent or range that McCloud has.

CB = Where to begin? Malek played well. Does a great job avoiding PI and blanketing receivers. He needs to be on the field unless he needs a blow. No need to talk about Dee. At this point it is clear he is not a D1 CB. Never seen a CB fall so much. The question is, why is he playing? If nothing else Redwine needs to go back to CB and we let Romeo and Carter take over there. I know Redwine was not great last year. But he certainly was not falling all over his face last year. I only bring Redwine up because Dean must not be at all ready to play if he cannot take some minutes from Dee at this point. We really missed out not bringing Edwards in. I believe he is starting for UF.

S = I love Johnson. He is Cane through and through. But he is not as great as everyone leads on. He is a half step late on his reads. He was much better as nickel back. He seems too small to make an impact at Safety. Redwine is not playing great there either. Move him back to corner and see what we can get out of Carter and Romeo. I never could figure out why Carter and Jenkins received so much flack last year. Those guys were good and they allowed Manny do some creative things up front. Now he does not have that luxury.

ST = Kickoff coverage better today. Still needs to be better. We are still one recruiting cycle from having speed across the board that carry's over to fast and mean ST's.
Thomas has had three occasions now to beat one man and make a big play on kickoff. He has allowed that one defender to get him each time.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Your comment about Carter and Jenkins.... leave and don't come back. Carter is a slightly more athletic Kacey Rodgers

Your comment about Carter and Jenkins.... leave and don't come back. Carter is a slightly more athletic Kacey Rodgers

Carter is on an NFL roster and making plays. Rodgers never sniffed the CFL. Leave and don't come back right back at you dude.

I'm not disputing that they each have NFL athletic ability. But 99% of knowledgeable Canes fans will tell you, we are overall a better defense with Jamal Carter not in the field. The guy had absolutely zero awareness. All I have to say is the fumble vs Norte Dame. Suck it

Advertisement
Oh, you meant Notre Dame. You had me confused thinking there was a new college in town.

The fact we went hurry up and opened up the playbook was a huge step in the right direction. I do not want us relying on Walton all year, because as good as he is, he's far better when there are multiple threats OTHER than Mark Walton. Spread it around, hurry it up, and Walton will have all kinds of room to run. Slow it down and feed him the ball, and those big holes magically disappear.

Advertisement
You are an idiot. I can't believe I'm trying to explain football to an 11 year old yard on the internet.

I bet Kyle Wright is your favorite Canes player

How did guys like shaq and Pinckney play so well last year and now they both look like ****? It's Manny as newly implemented defense. Delaney is bad yes we mis having talents like Jenks and Corn, but Manny is getting away from simplicity. Players looks slow out their reacting. Wow I can't believe I said that (Doritos part 2).

I said it all offseason that JJ is to UM material bc of his size and athleticism. But I was begged into oblivion. "He was all Dade 4x" "plays like reed". He flat out sucks and I'm being nice. Redwine and MJ are not high level guys but we can win with them. Secondary needs tweeks. Malek and Dean need to start. Jaquan in the nickel and Bandy,Redwine, carter, smith rotation at s

Didn't see DJack out there too.. seems like garvin took all his reps.. pickney played the most out of all the LBs, cause mike smith played a lot at mike today.

Good write up though

Advertisement
Yes I have to agree about Thomas on the KR he aint showin me ****..I have not been impressed with one KR so far he looks scared and tentative back there

Advertisement
Still think Dallas should be moved over to CB.

They clearly don't trust the guys they have there at the moment.

Okay all of you Jamal Carter homers, show me all of the game changing plays that helped win us games and I'll show you 3times as many mental mistakes, bad pursuit angles, kill shot hits where he misses the tackle, or targeting and late hit penalties. The guy was above average athletically and way below average in football IQ while playing for Miami.

Most of you don't know how to watch a football game objectively... which is way you look and sound retarded

I'm not disputing that they each have NFL athletic ability. But 99% of knowledgeable Canes fans will tell you, we are overall a better defense with Jamal Carter not in the field. The guy had absolutely zero awareness. All I have to say is the fumble vs Norte Dame. Suck it

We are overall a better defense without him?

Have you watched the first 2 games? lol

Advertisement
Back