Today's Athletic on "Rebuilds"

I say this respectfully, but this article is full of chit.

The Transfer Portal has been around since 2019, & we were the Godfather of it. Teams eventually started to follow our lead, when it was deemed as unsustainable, initially.

I was talking to my guy at SC last night, & we discussed this. The difference between what Riley did vs. everyone else is that Riley secured the most important position on the field, QB1; but, it wasn’t just any QB1, it was thee #1 QB1 both coming out of HS & The Portal. A QB1 who belonged to the coach who recruited him at his old spot.

U have that same QB1 who was friends w/ WR1 in the Transfer Portal, & WR2 happened to belong to Riley at his old spot, & WR3 is the God Son of SC Royalty. It was literally the perfect crescendo in the portal, nothing revolutionary or “out of the box.”
Actually I think the final point, that "rebuilds are over" is the key, and it isn't specific to USC. It is about the changing perceptions, of both schools and fans.

To me, this looks like what happened when Bob Stoops won a national championship in year 2 at Oklahoma. That made a whole bunch of people think that was realistic and that is about the time we started to see coaches get fired in year 3, even though the prior "rule" had been to give a new staff 4-5 years.

USC, particularly if they won last night, would have convinced similar people that you can flip an entire program into the playoffs in year one. Those people wouldn't have worried about the pieces it took; they'd just look at the results. TCU can add that as well, but it doesn't have the USC profile.

Advertisement
I say this respectfully, but this article is full of chit.

The Transfer Portal has been around since 2019, & we were the Godfather of it. Teams eventually started to follow our lead, when it was deemed as unsustainable, initially.

I was talking to my guy at SC last night, & we discussed this. The difference between what Riley did vs. everyone else is that Riley secured the most important position on the field, QB1; but, it wasn’t just any QB1, it was thee #1 QB1 both coming out of HS & The Portal. A QB1 who belonged to the coach who recruited him at his old spot.

U have that same QB1 who was friends w/ WR1 in the Transfer Portal, & WR2 happened to belong to Riley at his old spot, & WR3 is the God Son of SC Royalty. It was literally the perfect crescendo in the portal, nothing revolutionary or “out of the box.”
Riley also had a functional OL group.

Put Caleb behind Miami's OL and see what happens.

Actually I think the final point, that "rebuilds are over" is the key, and it isn't specific to USC. It is about the changing perceptions, of both schools and fans.

To me, this looks like what happened when Bob Stoops won a national championship in year 2 at Oklahoma. That made a whole bunch of people think that was realistic and that is about the time we started to see coaches get fired in year 3, even though the prior "rule" had been to give a new staff 4-5 years.

USC, particularly if they won last night, would have convinced similar people that you can flip an entire program into the playoffs in year one. Those people wouldn't have worried about the pieces it took; they'd just look at the results. TCU can add that as well, but it doesn't have the USC profile.

I think the problem is w/ how we define the word “build.” Build in today’s era of CFB doesn’t need to be a 4-5 yr project; in most cases, it’s a 2-3 yr process. I’ve been the biggest proponent that if we (general fan base) don’t see huge dividends by year 3, there’s a great chance that won’t happen. Yesteryear? Sure coaches needed 4-5 yrs, but not today. With how simplified the game has become (although we made it waaaaaay more difficult than it needed to be this yr), u have freshmen coming in making an impact + the transfer portal.

My point w/ SC was this narrative of Riley being this mad genius when he’s not. If there’s anything I will give Diaz credit for is regarding the transfer portal & being one of The Pioneers of manipulating it. Riley did a great job in flipping SC’s roster in yr 1, & I won’t take that away from him, but the biggest flip was bringing over his QB1 to run his offense, & QB1 recruiting WR1 to come.

Advertisement
I think the problem is w/ how we define the word “build.” Build in today’s era of CFB doesn’t need to be a 4-5 yr project; in most cases, it’s a 2-3 yr process. I’ve been the biggest proponent that if we (general fan base) don’t see huge dividends by year 3, there’s a great chance that won’t happen. Yesteryear? Sure coaches needed 4-5 yrs, but not today. With how simplified the game has become (although we made it waaaaaay more difficult than it needed to be this yr), u have freshmen coming in making an impact + the transfer portal.

My point w/ SC was this narrative of Riley being this mad genius when he’s not. If there’s anything I will give Diaz credit for is regarding the transfer portal & being one of The Pioneers of manipulating it. Riley did a great job in flipping SC’s roster in yr 1, & I won’t take that away from him, but the biggest flip was bringing over his QB1 to run his offense, & QB1 recruiting WR1 to come.
Total agreement with not thinking of Reiley as some sort of pioneer. And totally agree that Manny was. I just think that had any one of USC, LSU, or, to a lesser extent TCU got to this year's playoffs, people would start to think the timetable is a year or two.

Frankly, it seems we no longer build programs; we build 1-2 year teams.

Advertisement
Back