Today's Athletic on "Rebuilds"

rustywalkedaway

Sophomore
Purgatory
Here is the quote. I think Miami and USC are very similar institutions and programs, but they have very dissimilar results now and, it looks like, quite different long term plans. Wonder who is "right".

Remember, USC went 4-8 last season. The Trojans have essentially lit a blowtorch to the concept of the traditional rebuild. As schools across the country make coaching hires with the intention of finding someone who can orchestrate a quick fix, the blueprint USC laid out last offseason will likely be emulated by a few staffs over the next few months.

As the Trojans look to claim their first Pac-12 title since 2017 and secure their first-ever trip to the College Football Playoff, The Athletic spoke to coaches and administrators who have seen USC up close in recent years to examine the factors that have led to the program’s sudden rise. They were granted anonymity so they could speak freely about the program.

“It’s just where college football is now and we’ve never seen it before at this level so that is surprising,” said one former member of the program. “You could have never expected or predicted this a year ago. But that’s just the way it works now with the transfer portal. Every single year now is a new year, a new team, and there are no such things as a rebuild anymore.”

Advertisement
I say this respectfully, but this article is full of chit.

The Transfer Portal has been around since 2019, & we were the Godfather of it. Teams eventually started to follow our lead, when it was deemed as unsustainable, initially.

I was talking to my guy at SC last night, & we discussed this. The difference between what Riley did vs. everyone else is that Riley secured the most important position on the field, QB1; but, it wasn’t just any QB1, it was thee #1 QB1 both coming out of HS & The Portal. A QB1 who belonged to the coach who recruited him at his old spot.

U have that same QB1 who was friends w/ WR1 in the Transfer Portal, & WR2 happened to belong to Riley at his old spot, & WR3 is the God Son of SC Royalty. It was literally the perfect crescendo in the portal, nothing revolutionary or “out of the box.”

Last edited:
Yeah usc was a rare case. A coach leaves a already playoff contending roster to go to the untapped potential of usc. Hes gets his heisman qb to follow him already knowing the scheme and playbook and qb being the most important person to know the playbook can’t be ignored. Add that to the 2 top 10 wrs. Its not often a good coach leaves on playoff contender for another with a hesiman contender to just follow him over. Probably wont see a turn around like this year in a while. Just too many outliers

The portal helps for immediate needs but you also need to recruit at a high level. If you rely only on the portal you’re gonna have some off years imo.

Advertisement
We could’ve had similar results but Mario missed in the portal and chose to move way too slow with his hires/missed on his hires

I’m here to tell u, no we wouldn’t.

Addison to SC was a done deal b4 he even hit the portal. Williams & Williams to SC was a wrap before Riley even signed on officially to SC.

I’ve asked this ? b4, who did we realistically have a shot at from a play making standpoint from The Portal?

The Transfer Portal has been around since 2019, & we were the Godfather of it. Teams eventually started to follow our lead, when it was deemed as unsustainable, initially.

I was talking to my guy at SC last night, & we discussed this. The difference between what Riley did vs. everyone else is that Riley secured the most important position on the field, QB1; but, it wasn’t just any QB1, it was thee #1 QB1 both coming out of HS & The Portal. A QB1 who belonged to the coach who recruited him at his old spot.

U have that same QB1 who was friends w/ WR1 in the Transfer Portal, & WR2 happened to belong to Riley at his old spot, & WR3 is the God Son of SC Royalty. It was literally the perfect crescendo in the portal, nothing revolutionary or “out of the box.”
I don’t really agree in general other than obviously Williams is a stud qb. The real difference is Riley makes his qbs into stars and heisman winners with his coaching and offense. Addison has 810 yds on the season, almost half of what he had last year. Mario Williams has 545 yds on the year so they are contributing but nothing special. They are obviously riding Caleb’s arm and legs to wins but tvd had very similar stats last year in the games he started.

Bottom line is Riley’s offense relies on skill players and a great scheme and him as a great play caller…Mario’s mainly relies on the ol

Addison to SC was a done deal b4 he even hit the portal. Williams & Williams to SC was a wrap before Riley even signed on officially to SC.

I’ve asked this ? b4, who did we realistically have a shot at from a play making standpoint from The Portal?

Wouldn't have mattered with this oline and gattis lol

Advertisement

USC was a ‘perfect storm’ to steal a Cane metaphor.

Whos WR3

Advertisement
The portal helps for immediate needs but you also need to recruit at a high level. If you rely only on the portal you’re gonna have some off years imo.
That maybe premature. I can see the portal becoming a higher priority than HS recruiting for some programs.

I’d expect most of that Top 10 or more have back-channel discussions with perspective new teams.

I’d expect right now the Canes are involved in discussions as players declare for the portal, or otherwise communicated an interest in Miami.

Advertisement
I don’t really agree in general other than obviously Williams is a stud qb. The real difference is Riley makes his qbs into stars and heisman winners with his coaching and offense. Addison has 810 yds on the season, almost half of what he had last year. Mario Williams has 545 yds on the year so they are contributing but nothing special. They are obviously riding Caleb’s arm and legs to wins but tvd had very similar stats last year in the games he started.

Bottom line is Riley’s offense relies on skill players and a great scheme and him as a great play caller…Mario’s mainly relies on the ol

Addison’s #s r down b/c he’s playing in a “pick ur poison” offense. He’s not the sole target as the ball is spread around. At Pitt, he had 100 receptions, the next closest was Jacques-Louis at 25. Here at SC he’s at 54 receptions, but they have 3 other WRs w/ 30+ receptions (Rice, Washington, & Williams).

It’s real easy when u r the HC & the architect on a side of the ball. Riley had the ultimate gift, a Heisman worthy QB who was already in his system. He had a major leg up, & he’s an offensive mastermind w/ his concepts. If he ever gave a **** about the other side of the ball, he might have some hardware to brag about.

W/ Mario, he’s truly a CEO. He’s neither an offensive or defensive mastermind, but he’s a leader. He absolutely failed on his OC, an OC who tricked us all, but he’ll build us the right way top down.

We could’ve had similar results but Mario missed in the portal and chose to move way too slow with his hires/missed on his hires
Season 10 Hate GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

also helps that Riley is 10x the coach.

offense will follow him everywhere he goes (ECU to OU to USC) and it will always be elite.

Yeah usc was a rare case. A coach leaves a already playoff contending roster to go to the untapped potential of usc. Hes gets his heisman qb to follow him already knowing the scheme and playbook and qb being the most important person to know the playbook can’t be ignored. Add that to the 2 top 10 wrs. Its not often a good coach leaves on playoff contender for another with a hesiman contender to just follow him over. Probably wont see a turn around like this year in a while. Just too many outliers
Mario is never gonna be a quick fix type of coach. he doesn't have anything that follows him instantly (he doesn't coach D or O). his way of building is slow and takes time and **** have to hit on his coaching hires

Advertisement
Back