Today is EXACTLY what I felt the Basketball team needed:

Larkin:
"In warmups, you could see it," he said. "Some of the people on the team were going slow in warm ups and not getting ready for the game. You could just see it tonight. I had a bad feeling coming into warmups because everybody was going slow. I was trying to get people to go faster and stuff. I wasn't even going full speed like I should have. I should have set the example and I didn't do that.

"Overall, we weren't prepared for the game."

If that's true, and not just an excuse for the loss, that's baffling, puzzling, and downright scary. This team should know after the last 3 games, they can't just show up and win. How they come out flat is beyond me. Makes no sense.

The team did the exact same thing at the beginning of the season, though, including that loss to Florida Gulf Coast. They lolly-gagged through the first several games of the year, then picked up the intensity against Michigan State and kept it going until Christmas. No loss is a good loss, but sometimes that lesson that they should have learned after three straight poor games and close calls doesn't actually sink in until they get that "L" in the box score. Hopefully something good comes from this and any lethargy is immediately expelled.

Advertisement
Larkin has had a little bit of an attitude, or edge, the last few games. He gets ****ed off and throws an attitude at referees and coaches whenever something goes against him. Just an observation. Could mean nothing.

Scott is being too passive it seems. When he wants to get to the basket he can pretty much do it at will. Guy could get thirty a night if he wanted to but he's a badass going to the hoop. A little erratic at times. It also seems like he doesn't trust his 3 even though he doesn't shoot it bad.

Gamble was trying too hard today.

Kadji is a star. Wish he could get more going off of ball screens and every game he has at least one nasty block. The numbers may or may not show it but to me even though he's the smaller of the trip of big men he is the best rebounder.

It's time for Reggie to start getting his minutes back. I think coach L knows this and wants a fresh reg for the tournament.

Rion brown has had about 3 decent games. Kid really needs to step it up. We have some good freshmen coming in next year.

I like what I am seeing out of jakiri in limited time and swoope is actually looking kind of promising.

TMJ is very inconsistent, but he is a better player than I thought. When he flung a ball in the rafters trying to shoot I just went, ehhh, because that's just the type of day it was.

Not a terrible loss when it comes to the big picture, but it's never good when you lose to a team like wake forest it's never a good thing regardless of how good they are at home compared to the road. That Horace grant lookalike was playing like iverson out there. The defense in half 1 was literally non existent. Same could be said about most of the second half. Will be interesting to see how they respond next game and how they progress through the regular season.

And I was watching McClinton highlights earlier, the talent on this team compared to that one was night and day even though jack would be the best player on this team.

Advertisement
Larkin:
"In warmups, you could see it," he said. "Some of the people on the team were going slow in warm ups and not getting ready for the game. You could just see it tonight. I had a bad feeling coming into warmups because everybody was going slow. I was trying to get people to go faster and stuff. I wasn't even going full speed like I should have. I should have set the example and I didn't do that.

"Overall, we weren't prepared for the game."

If that's true, and not just an excuse for the loss, that's baffling, puzzling, and downright scary. This team should know after the last 3 games, they can't just show up and win. How they come out flat is beyond me. Makes no sense.

The team did the exact same thing at the beginning of the season, though, including that loss to Florida Gulf Coast. They lolly-gagged through the first several games of the year, then picked up the intensity against Michigan State and kept it going until Christmas. No loss is a good loss, but sometimes that lesson that they should have learned after three straight poor games and close calls doesn't actually sink in until they get that "L" in the box score. Hopefully something good comes from this and any lethargy is immediately expelled.

I know and remember, but had chalked that up to not having Scott, and playing St. Leo, Stetson, FGCU and Jacksonville, not ACC games. Guess I was wrong or wishfully thinking.

After much reflection, this has still been a miracle season and I have been extremely happy to be a fan of this team.

I still think we will make a deep run in the tourney. You cant play that good all season, lose it, and not be able to get it back. We will be fine.

The VT game Wednesday night is now huge, IMO. And I don't just mean from a W/L standpoint. We need to play well and win. Not shoot 30%, have 15 turnovers and manage to scrape out a 52-50 win. If we play poorly Wednesday night, I will start to be really concerned about how deep a run we can actually make in the dance.

The VT game Wednesday night is now huge, IMO. And I don't just mean from a W/L standpoint. We need to play well and win. Not shoot 30%, have 15 turnovers and manage to scrape out a 52-50 win. If we play poorly Wednesday night, I will start to be really concerned about how deep a run we can actually make in the dance.

This!!

Advertisement

The margin of victory is not a good indicator, two teams can play a good game and we barely win. It happens. VT could have their best game this year and we win by 2. I want to see the defense improved, our offense getting to the hole and we're hitting shots. Our bigs need to really play better.

Most important is the energy and effort, that needs to get much much much better.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I'm not worried now... most teams go through periods where they lose their mojo and struggle a bit. How we bounce back after this bad loss will tell us a lot about the team. Blow out VT and I think we'll be fine. Struggle again and I'll officially start to worry a little.

The margin of victory is not a good indicator, two teams can play a good game and we barely win. It happens. VT could have their best game this year and we win by 2. I want to see the defense improved, our offense getting to the hole and we're hitting shots. Our bigs need to really play better.

Most important is the energy and effort, that needs to get much much much better.

That's why I prefaced the 2 point margin with shooting 30% and turning it over 15 times.

I agree, and I'd offer the NC State game an an example. Both teams played very well -- win or lose, I would have been happy with our effort in that game. Against VT, I'm more concerned with how we play than by how much we win (assuming, of course, that we do win).

Advertisement
VT can play a good game, but if we do too, we'll blow them out. We're that much better than them.

That's why I prefaced the 2 point margin with shooting 30% and turning it over 15 times.

Okay

Advertisement
Back