Today is EXACTLY what I felt the Basketball team needed:

SFbayCane

All American
I really didnt want this team heading into the post season tournament on a huge winning streak. I continued to feel that a flat loss was needed for them to recharge and refocus, although its always tough to root for a loss. lol

IMO this will make their post season run that much more productive. Food for thought.

Advertisement
I was going to say the same. Actually been thinking it for a while. They havent played the best for a the last couple of games. It actually a good spot for one. Vtech next week to fine tune and then you have duke again to reestablish to everyone that you are legit.

A few of the core players have been trying to do too much lately. Ive seen some forced and uncomfortable plays. I think they just need to settle down and play within the offense. Once that happens the fast break stuff will come back.

Again, its a good loss. Let it burn. Look at the tape and fix what is wrong. The things they did today they cant do in the tourney. Learn it now.

losses are bound to happen no matter how good your team is. UK went like 30-1 in the regular season last year? then lost to Vandy in the conference tourney. no team is invincible and hopefully we learned that today and come out swinging for the rest of the year

Advertisement
I really didnt want this team heading into the post season tournament on a huge winning streak. I continued to feel that a flat loss was needed for them to recharge and refocus, although its always tough to root for a loss. lol

IMO this will make their post season run that much more productive. Food for thought.

Yeah, that was ugly and incredibly sloppy. Constant bad shot selections, not taking care of the ball, etc. Hopefully they've got it out of their system and it was the slap in the face that they needed to bring them back to reality so they refocus.

I am not jumping off the ledge and I still think this team will do special things but NO ******* LOSS IS GOOD. None, you can think this will light a fire under this team, etc but it can do the exact opposite.

I am not jumping off the ledge and I still think this team will do special things but NO ****ING LOSS IS GOOD. None, you can think this will light a fire under this team, etc but it can do the exact opposite.

They really needed to lose, they've played mediocre for the last few games and won, plus gotten the benefit of others losing. They need to fall off the map, so to speak, and not hear everyone talking about them.
This brings everything back into focus.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I am not jumping off the ledge and I still think this team will do special things but NO ****ING LOSS IS GOOD. None, you can think this will light a fire under this team, etc but it can do the exact opposite.

They really needed to lose, they've played mediocre for the last few games and won, plus gotten the benefit of others losing. They need to fall off the map, so to speak, and not hear everyone talking about them.

How can an undefeated run in the ACC, #1 Seed in the ACC tourney, #1 Seed in the NCAA tourney, and possible #1 ranking in the country not keep you in FOCUS?? No offense, this line of thinking is off in my opinion. You shouldnt need a loss to keep you hungry or focused. The greatness that you can accomplish without losing should keep you focused.

Last edited:

How can an undefeated run in the ACC, #1 Seed in the ACC tourney, #1 See in the NCAA tourney, and possible #1 ranking in the country not keep you in FOCUS?? No offense, this line of thinking is off in my opinion. You shouldnt need a loss to keep you hungry or focused. The greatness that you can accomplish without losing should keep you focused.

You're severely overestimating the talent of this group of players. We're good as a team, but individually not THAT good that we will be able to skate through an undefeated season. You're deluding the **** out of yourself.

How can an undefeated run in the ACC, #1 Seed in the ACC tourney, #1 See in the NCAA tourney, and possible #1 ranking in the country not keep you in FOCUS?? No offense, this line of thinking is off in my opinion. You shouldnt need a loss to keep you hungry or focused. The greatness that you can accomplish without losing should keep you focused.

You're severely overestimating the talent of this group of players. We're good as a team, but individually not THAT good that we will be able to skate through an undefeated season. You're deluding the **** out of yourself.

??? Now we are not talented?? Come on guys, we lost but ****. Now everyone knew we werent going undefeated???

So Wake Forest is a better team than us and are more talented?? I guess we are going to suck in the NCAA tourney because people are more talented and have better teams...

You guys are making ******* excuses. There are no excuses for this loss today, none. Lose to Duke, fine. Today, should have never happened. They should bounce back and we should be fine, but dont make excuses and you sure as **** cant convince me a loss is good or makes them "refocus".

I disagree 100%. We had "one of those days" the last 3 games. Those close wins against bad teams on the road, and then UVA should have woken this team up. They should have come out on fire TODAY. They didn't need to lose, they played 3 bad games in a row. Now it's 4, and they have a loss. We'll probably win our home games, and probably win them rather handily, while losing to Duke, so we'll be the #1 seed, but we need to get this figured out. This was not an "off day." This is 4 bad games in a row. This is 2 weeks of bad basketball. The FSU game should have snapped them out of dreamland. It didn't. The Clemson game should have...it didn't. The UVA game should have...it didn't.

We are good, but we're not playing like it now. We're likely to be the #1 seed in the ACC, but I don't care. I'm worried about the NCAA tournament right now. Play like this, and we don't make it past the 2nd round.

Advertisement

What he said.

this loss was coming either today or vt or duke. we havent been playing and never adjusted to the big coming out and defending larkin. the difference from the Clemson and UVA game and today was that wake hit their open shots and those teams didn't.

btw for those saying you have to go undefeated, st joseph had 1 loss when jameer was there and they didnt make a title game appearance. UK ran through the reg season but also had two top 5 picks on their roster

Advertisement
Coach L is going to have figure out something, because this is 4 games in a row of Larkin not looking like he knows what he's doing when they come out on the ballscreens.

I disagree 100%. We had "one of those days" the last 3 games. Those close wins against bad teams on the road, and then UVA should have woken this team up. They should have come out on fire TODAY. They didn't need to lose, they played 3 bad games in a row. Now it's 4, and they have a loss. We'll probably win our home games, and probably win them rather handily, while losing to Duke, so we'll be the #1 seed, but we need to get this figured out. This was not an "off day." This is 4 bad games in a row. This is 2 weeks of bad basketball. The FSU game should have snapped them out of dreamland. It didn't. The Clemson game should have...it didn't. The UVA game should have...it didn't.

We are good, but we're not playing like it now. We're likely to be the #1 seed in the ACC, but I don't care. I'm worried about the NCAA tournament right now. Play like this, and we don't make it past the 2nd round.

Maybe they've just really overachieved and this is who they really are? Maybe they really are a 4 or 5 seed that caught lightning in a bottle?
Another so-so performance vs VT and who knows. Duke is going to be virtually un-winnable, they (Duke) are going to want blood, how the team responds, IMO, will speak magnitudes about what their realistic chances are in the tourney.

Maybe they've just really overachieved and this is who they really are? Maybe they really are a 4 or 5 seed that caught lightning in a bottle?
Another so-so performance vs VT and who knows. Duke is going to be virtually un-winnable, they (Duke) are going to want blood, how the team responds, IMO, will speak magnitudes about what their realistic chances are in the tourney.

I don't think we're the 2nd best team in the nation, but I also think we're better than say #20-25. We're a top 8-12 team, which we're not even playing like now.

??? Now we are not talented?? Come on guys, we lost but ****. Now everyone knew we werent going undefeated???

So Wake Forest is a better team than us and are more talented?? I guess we are going to suck in the NCAA tourney because people are more talented and have better teams...

You guys are making ******* excuses. There are no excuses for this loss today, none. Lose to Duke, fine. Today, should have never happened. They should bounce back and we should be fine, but dont make excuses and you sure as **** cant convince me a loss is good or makes them "refocus".

The problem with you is it's either black or white. Up or down. Shades of grey paints a much more accurate picture of the situation.

This team has talent, but it also has pretty significant flaws which we've managed to hide really well, until recently. There is no shame in saying that and talking about it.

You sound exactly like a UM football homer with the boring cliches.

Advertisement
Back