Toby Johnson.......

ImU2daDEF...CLF

Sophomore
According to Canesport, he says we will make his final cut. The 6'4" 305 DT out of Hutchinson CC is one of the top JC prospects in the country, with a 4* rating on Scout and Rivals and a 5* on 247Sports. IIRC, Tennessee has been all over him and have already secured verbals from a couple of his teammates. His offer sheet is ridiculous.

Can't see this kid being a Plan B type, so how interested are we? With AG still wanting better play from the DT spot, I guess I'm buying it. Insiders, let us know something please.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Real talk. Have we ever signed a highly ranked JuCo DT?

Those guys just don't get in here. Was it King that was JuCo? He is about the only DT I can think of and to say "lightly regarded" would he being generous.

Smith was the JC guy, King was a late signee.

I thought it was worth asking because of the fact the kid is so highly regarded. Everybody has offered this dude.

Also, IIRC, McDougle and/or William Joseph were JC guys. I know McDougle was a DE, but its not like big time DL guys have never played here. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure one, if not both of these guys went that route to get here.

Those guys just don't get in here. Was it King that was JuCo? He is about the only DT I can think of and to say "lightly regarded" would he being generous.

Last edited:

I can't remember one that was highly ranked.... Darius Smith wasn't highly ranked. Clint Hurtt was from a prep school, I think? He wasn't overly highly ranked either though, IIRC... and we know how he turned out.

Advertisement

I thought it was worth asking because of the fact the kid is so highly regarded. Everybody has offered this dude.

Also, IIRC, McDougle and/or William Joseph were JC guys. I know McDougle was a DE, but its not like big time DL guys have never played here. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure one, if not both of these guys went that route to get here.

Andrew Williams had to make a pit stop at either Juco or Prep school... not William Joseph. (Pretty sure on that). Corny Green was a JUCO guy too, if we're talking DEs.

But DTs are a different animal. We just can't seem to get them in.

Cortez Kemnedy was a jc.

Joseph holds the UM record for starts, any position. Definitely not a JC.

Yeah don't take my post as criticizing yours. Just saying it seems like we hear about a JuCo DT every year and in the end its almost impossible to get them in.

This is a new day

That's what I'm saying, and like I said, I thought it was worth mentioning becasue of his perceived pedigree, and AG's seeming unhappiness with the DT position at the moment. You can NEVER have enough quality war daddies in the middle, and everybody wants this kid.

I do think Tennessee has the inside track; they got got a verbal from a teammate of his this year, another 4* DT, and their coach from last year is on the UT staff now. He helped them land the top JC guy last year in WR Cordarrelle Patterson. Either way, he says we're on the list, so I thought it was noteworthy.

Tezzie was a JC guy? Hmmm, from JC to HOF......not bad.

Advertisement
Not at all J, just sharing information, and given AG's seeming unhappiness with the DT play, I thought it was interesting.......

Also, Bakas posted that we are still communicating with TE Josh McNeil, so things maybe are not dead there either.

Given our crunched numbers this year, I wonder would there be room for both McNeil and Johnson if they wanted in. I wouldn't be opposed to it.......

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back