To all the folks who want to hire an experienced DC

Advertisement
Durkin and Pruitt were considered both sharp up and comers. It's a boom or bust approach that worked in their favor. Don't know if our program is at a state where we can afford a bust. Especially, with how bad the defense is. When Pruitt was hired at FSU they were in a good place and the same with Durkin at U***. Our situation is very different where our program is at the crossroads. The concept of hiring the up and comer isn't a bad one but does it apply to the situation where they are being hired is the real question. At Miami we need someone proven that can fix the dumpster fire they are inheriting.

I'll take an inexperienced DC who plays a simple attacking 4-3 scheme over an experienced DC who runs a complicated NFL playboy size 3-4

You guys don't get it.....

Pruitt was DC under who .... Saban (His Defense)
Schiano Was DC under Who .... Butch (His Defense)
Shannon was PC coach who was promoted within so he knew the landscape.... He wasn't coming from another team....

Name a coach who was handed the keys to the Defense for his 1st DC job under an Offensive HC ......

JC

For all of you chiming in and thinking that all of this DC knowledge is paramount, just take a look at the very successful FSU and Ala. defensive models over the past 5 years. In order for a DC, either experienced or inexperienced, to be successful at the U, all he has to do is focus on managing a short field that is less than 25 yards. How do you do that? You simply keep the OC and QB GUESSING by blitzing or simulating blitzes from many different angles and on every play, applying consistent pressure to the opposing QB, pounding the opposing QB on every play, having your DBs cover a much shorter field, utilize your speed and letting your defense have confidence and fun!!! This is exactly what we have not been doing for the past 5 years and it's also what made the defenses of our championship years so great. The recipe has not changed!

You guys don't get it.....

Pruitt was DC under who .... Saban (His Defense)
Schiano Was DC under Who .... Butch (His Defense)
Shannon was PC coach who was promoted within so he knew the landscape.... He wasn't coming from another team....

Name a coach who was handed the keys to the Defense for his 1st DC job under an Offensive HC ......

JC

"Shannon was PC coach"?...DUMBEST post EVER. And Pruitt was never the DC under Saban, at least not until this year...get ya' facts straight dummy.

PC = Position Coach.... smdh who's the Dummy?

Pruitt also was a PC coach under Saban.... .....

JC

Advertisement
Well Richt needs someone he can turn the Defense over to and not worry about it being run poorly since he will be in the offense so much. You are right that we can get a young guy who may be suitable but even if he is a position coach he has to have significant experience as such. When you look at us keeping No D because no one else could run that crap on our current staff tells you the matter at hand

I'm pretty sure it's going to be Manny Diaz because (he's from Miami. He was a GA at FSU when Richt was there, Richt is familiar with him from the SEC) So prepare yourselves for Manny.

Other possible candidates
Winston Moss (LB/Assistant HC) - Obviously he has NFL coordinator/HC aspirations, but returning back to CG and heading up the U defense may be too good to pass up.

Tom Allen USF - He worked under Womack at Ole Miss and just look at the turnaround in just 1 year with him as DC at USF.
I think Auburn is after him, but we might be a more intriguing place due to the stability he knows he has with Richt. (Auburn is a crazy revolving door for good and bad)

Those are just some interesting names. Chizik probably is another name but he may be waiting for a HC opening and just wants to hang out at North Carolina. He is from tarpon springs though, played at Florida, and of course coached at UCF

Winston Moss (LB/Assistant HC) - Obviously he has NFL coordinator/HC aspirations, but returning back to CG and heading up the U defense may be too good to pass up.

How do you know that he has coordinator/HC aspirations? I'm not saying that he doesn't, and maybe he's made statements to that effect, but not everyone wants to be a HC or coordinator. There are plenty of guys out there who are happy being position coaches for their entire career.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be Manny Diaz because (he's from Miami. He was a GA at FSU when Richt was there, Richt is familiar with him from the SEC) So prepare yourselves for Manny.

Tom Allen USF - He worked under Womack at Ole Miss and just look at the turnaround in just 1 year with him as DC at USF.
I think Auburn is after him, but we might be a more intriguing place due to the stability he knows he has with Richt. (Auburn is a crazy revolving door for good and bad)

Those are just some interesting names. Chizik probably is another name but he may be waiting for a HC opening and just wants to hang out at North Carolina. He is from tarpon springs though, played at Florida, and of course coached at UCF

I have a hard time believing Richt would hire someone as DC that he just fired a few years ago. We can do much better than Diaz.

Advertisement
I have concerns that we did not fire D'No along with Golden, we've kept him on staff this long and now I'm hearing rumors he may be retained. That would be CATASTROPHIC!!!

I have concerns that we did not fire D'No along with Golden, we've kept him on staff this long and now I'm hearing rumors he may be retained. That would be CATASTROPHIC!!!
If you believe for a second that D'Onofrio will be retained then I have some beach front property in Nebraska to sell you.

Up and coming young OC makes sense if Richt will retain control and coach QBs. While I don't think the total # of years should be the focus, a young up and coming DC who has Future HC aspirations would be ideal. Get the D back to being a well-oiled machine and then take a chance in a young D genius

Advertisement

How do you know that he has coordinator/HC aspirations? I'm not saying that he doesn't, and maybe he's made statements to that effect, but not everyone wants to be a HC or coordinator. There are plenty of guys out there who are happy being position coaches for their entire career.

Because the title "Assistant HC" is what you give someone who has those aspirations. Otherwise they would just be a LB Coach. When the Assistant HC is attached to your name. It's because you want people to look at you as a future HC. That's the only reason for it.

I have a hard time believing Richt would hire someone as DC that he just fired a few years ago. We can do much better than Diaz.

He never fired Diaz. Diaz was fired by Mack Brown at Texas after he lost control of the team and they started to spiral. Diaz was hired by Dan Mullen. Who he left for Texas. He then went to Lousiana Tech and then was rehired by Mullen at Miss. State.

Richt knows Diaz personally. He's never fired him, and when you leave the SEC from a DC position and then get rehired again that's probably an indicator that you aren't bad.

I don't think Diaz is the best DC in the world, but he makes sense for someone who Richt would hire given their history and coupled with the fact he's from Miami.

Please not Diaz. Guy has been majorly down since disaster at Texas.
Had a great first stint at miss st with a massive turnaround but struggled as since then.

Miss St has the 58th ranked defense this year, nothing to be excited about and surely there is better out there

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back