Tito's Tidbits

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
-There’s a few remaining targets on the board for Miami’s 2014 class and two of them happen to be Florida commitments. Cook’s status still remains to be seen and to build off what Peter Ariz reported last week, Cook is going to give juicy quotes to whichever reporter interviews him, so his word should be taken with a grain of salt. The tell tale sign for Cook will be if Miami can seem to squeeze an official visit out of him, which at this point seems unlikely from what I’m hearing.

-The other commitment that Miami is trying to pull away from Gainesville is J.C Jackson. Miami is putting the full court press for Jackson and it looks like it’s working. Jackson recently gave some quotes to the Sun-Sentinel regarding his commitment and he said this:

“When asked about what percentage he might place on his level of commitment to UF, Jackson said, “I don’t know right now … it’s confusing right now.”...... When asked Wednesday about his thoughts on UF, Jackson said, “I don’t even want to talk about Florida right now. … I do hope they win Saturday, though.”

-It’s obvious that Miami is getting to him and his commitment to UF is getting weaker, however Jackson has already committed to FSU and UF, so once again the true indication of how serious Jackson is with Miami is if the staff can get him on an Official Visit.

-One important thing to note for Jackson is that the staff is looking at him as a corner rather than a safety. The safety position is still one part of the class that needs to be addressed. Carol City ATH Trayone Gray may be projected to play Safety here, but his chances of qualifying should concern the staff enough to find other targets.

-Miami is also after another Gator commit, this one being 2015 receiver D’Vante Phillips. It’s been well known that Miami has continued to recruit Phillips for a while despite the commitment to UF last summer, but a source close to Phillips told me that the commitment will not last very long. Miami has been recruiting Phillips for quite some time and we will see where it leads.

-Dwyer receiver Johhnie Dixon is set to announce, but don’t be surprised if he pushes back his original announcement date of Nov. 30th. Dixon is going to the Army All-American game so it wouldn’t shock me if he pushes the announcement back to that game. As far as where we stand with Dixon, Miami still seems like the most likely landing point.

--With JUCO DL Claudeson Pelon there is an interesting scenario brewing. He has planned his visit for Miami around December with USC before that and recently visiting Washington. Both USC and Washington are considered heavy favorites for Pelon, but if Miami can get him on campus before any commitment, they’re squarely in it. I posted during the summer that Pelon is originally from Miami and his family lives in Florida, so if his family can come with him on his visit that could help Miami’s case.

- I’m leaving this post for last because I’ve heard both sides of the coin on it. There’s been a lot of noise regarding UGA commit Sony Michel on whether Miami can still sneak in and take him before signing day. One person did tell me that Sony is taking a serious last look at Miami and that a switch isn’t out of the realm of possibilities, but then another source told me he highly doubts this will amount to anything. He told me that Sony has been aching to get out of Miami ever since his commitment and that he feels it would be best if he leaves the state. TIFWIW, personally I think it will be tough to flip him, but there’s no other school that has a better chance than Miami to do it.

Little 2015 Recruiting Tidbits

-2015 Safety Calvin Brewton is planning on announcing within the coming months. As of right now, Brewton seems to be all but a Seminole, however, if Miami does come in with an offer prior to his announcement they would be squarely in it.

-Both 2015 ATH’s Tim Irvin and Jaquan Johnson are high on Miami’s 2015 board and it looks like it will be a UF-Miami battle for them. Both of these prospects are close friends and have another interesting factor in common: Both can enroll early to the school of their choice.

-Building on my previous post, if Miami plays its cards correctly with both of the above prospects, it looks like 2015 TE Devonaire Clarington would most likely follow them in their decisions. There’s still some confusion regarding Clarington and where he stands with his offer from Miami, but as of right now Miami likes him at TE.

-While the Top QB to recruit in 2015 for Miami looks like Torrance Gibson, don’t forget about New Jersey QB Brandon Wimbush. It’s been very well documented that this staff can pull prospects from New Jersey as was the case with Al-Quadin Muhammad, Courtel Jenkins and Kevin Olsen.

Advertisement
I will trust the staff but **** I wish they would just offer some guys already (Cronkite, Brewton, Calvin Ridley)

Great job Tito, gotta get Cook (after what Freeman did) but its unlikely I know. We cant stack RB from our backyard for some reason. There no excuse now with the NCAA stuff done and dealt with.

Great job Tito, gotta get Cook (after what Freeman did) but its unlikely I know. We cant stack RB from our backyard for some reason. There no excuse now with the NCAA stuff done and dealt with.

Despite what cook says to anyone, he DOES NOT WANT TO PLAY WITH YEARB! As long as we hold onto Yearby, cook will not be a part of this class.

JC seems like the most possible of all flips. Especially with UF burning in flames. IMO we need to keep winning to maximize our efforts with JC and Sony. It's very possible we fall flat on our face and don't win the coastal.

Advertisement
I still think Michel ends up in this class. Cook no because of peer pressure from the other commits.

No cook b/c of peer pressure from others commits??
Lol. Like who? I doubt it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
cook, lane and clark are this class. don't think we even want clark. I still think cook may come.
Irvin and Johnson are next year. Irvin is related to Mike.
scarborough isn't coming her. neither is the other kid from Louisiana. stop.

- I’m leaving this post for last because I’ve heard both sides of the coin on it. There’s been a lot of noise regarding UGA commit Sony Michel on whether Miami can still sneak in and take him before signing day. One person did tell me that Sony is taking a serious last look at Miami and that a switch isn’t out of the realm of possibilities, but then another source told me he highly doubts this will amount to anything. He told me that Sony has been aching to get out of Miami ever since his commitment and that he feels it would be best if he leaves the state. TIFWIW, personally I think it will be tough to flip him, but there’s no other school that has a better chance than Miami to do it.

Doesn't he go to school in Plantation......

Advertisement
Need safeties... need safeties. Luckily, there are a bunch in 2015 however we need some depth!

I'd rather put my efforts in that kid from New Orleans.

WHY?

We have no shot thats a Randy bad strategy move if I ever heard one. Hes going to go to an SEC school or a physical offense, if Im him I would look at Bama but again if Im him Ide go to UM.

Advertisement
Back