Off-Topic Titanic tour sub missing

FB_IMG_1687553855198.jpg
FB_IMG_1687553833752.jpg
FB_IMG_1687553934521.jpg
FB_IMG_1687553910237.jpg

Advertisement
Any idea who does the "certification" you mention? A USG agency? Private engineering body?

The specific company that does the certifications that experts urged of OceanGate's founders is DNV, which specializes mainly in classing and certification of naval submarines (materials, construction, testing, etc.) but also does the same for research and other subs. The US Navy has their own testing process (SUBSAFE) that certifies the materials, components, and construction specifically of our military subs. I think there might be a few other companies that class & certify subs to similar standards.

The Cameron interview was quite interesting (as his interviews usually are) w/r/t discussing the reasons why carbon fiber is not used at these depths. Hindsight is always 20/20 but in this particular case it seemed many in the deep diving community recognized danger posed by this vehicle's construction well ahead of time.

Advertisement
Like a diesel cylinder works - but one with a compression of thousands of psi -- the one millisecond that it took for that implosion to occur, everything inside was compressed so hard and so fast - the air inside self-ignited like a diesel does, but much more violently - and at millisecond #2 the bodies were not just compressed and evaporated into carbon dust - but they don't exist. And very little carbon dust at that - so complete was the total oxidation.

They never knew there was a problem. Two thousanths of a second to be completely dematerialized doesn't allow for thought, pain, or even awareness.

There are no bodies to recover.

Like a diesel cylinder works - but one with a compression of thousands of psi -- the one millisecond that it took for that implosion to occur, everything inside was compressed so hard and so fast - the air inside self-ignited like a diesel does, but much more violently - and at millisecond #2 the bodies were not just compressed and evaporated into carbon dust - but they don't exist. And very little carbon dust at that - so complete was the total oxidation.

They never knew there was a problem. Two thousanths of a second to be completely dematerialized doesn't allow for thought, pain, or even awareness.

I believe it was a US Navy doctor that described what that event would be like. "In that type implosion the hull sides are traveling inwards at a speed of 1500 mph, the air / oxygen in the cylinder is compressed and super heated to thousands of degrees and explodes and any combustible objects inside the hull are instantaneously vaporized. One second you are alive and a millisecond later you no longer exist. Passengers were not aware of anything happening they simply ceased to exist". There is a reason that steel and titanium are used for pressure vessels and not spun carbon fiber. It is crazy that the technology for multiple safe voyages exists and is commonly used (Cameron with 33 visits to that site in HIS certified steel / titanium hull sub), but Rush wanted to use "innovative" technology (probably saved a couple hundred thousand dollars) and used material commonly used for experimental aircraft.

Thats cause those sea creatures had five guys.

🤷🏿‍♂️

Are you ready, kids???
AYE AYE, CAPTAIN!!!
I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!
AYE AYE, CAPTAIN!!!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....
Who lives in a submarine under the sea?
FIVE DEAD RICH GUYS!!!!

Yes, I know, hellfire for me, but Im pretty sure my ancestors met them on the other side and gave them a "proper greeting".

Advertisement

Exactly.

Our bodies are 70% water. The force on a body that comes from IMMEDIATELY going from a pressurized cabin to 6,000 pounds per square inch in milliseconds effectively liquified those five people.

Advertisement
I'm developing a new style re-breather made from off the shelf tupperwear and bonzai plants. My goal is to hit 15,000 ft.

Who wants in on ground floor of this exciting investment opportunity?

The industry can't handle the disruption our vision will bring.
How about an aluminum foil submarine? A huge single sheet folded in half 25 times . Make it water tight with 3 rolls of shrink wrap. The re-breathers could be used incase of "loss of hull integrity" . Kind of like using your seat cushion as a floatation device if your jet plane hits the ocean . *I am not an engineer but was a combat engineer.

How about an aluminum foil submarine? A huge single sheet folded in half 25 times . Make it water tight with 3 rolls of shrink wrap. The re-breathers could be used incase of "loss of hull integrity" . Kind of like using your seat cushion as a floatation device if your jet plane hits the ocean . *I am not an engineer but was a combat engineer.
Seven fold limit. I think once you’re at seven you’re good.

I believe it was a US Navy doctor that described what that event would be like. "In that type implosion the hull sides are traveling inwards at a speed of 1500 mph, the air / oxygen in the cylinder is compressed and super heated to thousands of degrees and explodes and any combustible objects inside the hull are instantaneously vaporized. One second you are alive and a millisecond later you no longer exist. Passengers were not aware of anything happening they simply ceased to exist". There is a reason that steel and titanium are used for pressure vessels and not spun carbon fiber. It is crazy that the technology for multiple safe voyages exists and is commonly used (Cameron with 33 visits to that site in HIS certified steel / titanium hull sub), but Rush wanted to use "innovative" technology (probably saved a couple hundred thousand dollars) and used material commonly used for experimental aircraft.
There's definitely a Chuck Norris joke in there somewhere but I've been drinking wine all day and can't quite get there.

Also, glad it happened this way instead of them waiting for 3 days to suffocate.

Advertisement
There's definitely a Chuck Norris joke in there somewhere but I've been drinking wine all day and can't quite get there.

Also, glad it happened this way instead of them waiting for 3 days to suffocate.

A buddy has a large natural gas tank, and he says he can guarantee you'll get to the bottom.

And that's it.

He's got a welder and says he can have it done the same afternoon . . .

Advertisement
Back