Off-Topic Titanic tour sub missing

Gotta love the media milking this for DAYS as some sort of search and rescue mission for clout knowing **** well those people literally cease to exist. Whatever pieces of these people that did exist after that 30 milliseconds of implosion completed the circle of life as deep sea chum for whatever freakish creatures live at those depths within minutes of that implosion.

They even had a countdown clock for how much oxygen these people - who were dead since Sunday - had left.

Advertisement
I read an article that several "names" in that "industry/hobby" had huge concerns over the CEO's personality and lack of engineering rigor at the company.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
This man flaunted his cost cutting and operation and networks allowed this man to spew his nonsense unchecked. Journalists are shown a $30 Logitech gaming controller as the sole means for controlling this vessel and are just like "cool cool, that really works, ay?"

Just pure human hubris and the leader going into the clubhouse to win the Darwin Award 2023.

TrumpyCane watched a video of James Cameron talking about deep sea diving and exploring at those depths

Basically called the people running that company ******* retards
Cameron had redundancies built upon redundancies. He has extreme attention to detail.

The Titan didn’t have the scope of this.

It’s hull (apart from the nose and tail) were built from carbon fiber. Very strong, but apparently subject to fatigue over time.

1687531254320.png

Cameron had redundancies built upon redundancies. He has extreme attention to detail.

The Titan didn’t have the scope of this.

It’s hull (apart from the nose and tail) were built from carbon fiber. Very strong, but apparently subject to fatigue over time.
Cameron commented on this and Cameron is part owner of a company that builds and operates submarines for the tour industry and submersibles for research. "The submersible community is a small and close knit community. We build submersibles with hulls made from steel and titanium. The Titan hull was made from spun carbon fiber ... an experimental and unproven technology not in commercial use anywhere for this type of hull. Nobody should ever use experimental, unproven technology for commercial vessels.". Cameron personally has made 33 visits to the Titanic site ... in one of his subs that is designed and approved according to engineering standards. The Titan might have been OK for a couple of trips but apparently the spun carbon fiber material was subject to fatigue (just like wire when bent and re-bent) and failed. It really is verging on criminal neglect that the Titan builder failed to use commonly used technology in building his sub ... it wouldn't have failed ... but he probably saved a few hundred thousand dollars using "off the shelf" home depot components and by not having any safeguards built in. Really feel sorry for the mother of the 19 year old who went to appease his father.

Advertisement
I realize it's Wikipedia, but it's still bizarre to read such stuff.

He "researched". And "based on a marketing study". And other bits. I'm linking the original 2019 article underneath the Wikipedia bit with footnotes.

1687532958656.png

I realize it's Wikipedia, but it's still bizarre to read such stuff.

He "researched". And "based on a marketing study". And other bits. I'm linking the original 2019 article underneath the Wikipedia bit with footnotes.

View attachment 243506

You look the pics of what they built and it just gives off "toaster oven" vibes.

Advertisement
I amended the old standard a bit for this particular venture:

Play crazy expensive, insanely stupid games, win catastrophic and horrifically stupid prizes.
true, but everyone is making this a class issue and mocking these rich people. the idiocy isn´t that they were rich, but that they exercised poor judgment. do we mock cuban rafters who essentially do the same? everything today has to be be about race, gender or economic class. this is marxism at its best.

true, but everyone is making this a class issue and mocking these rich people. the idiocy isn´t that they were rich, but that they exercised poor judgment. do we mock cuban rafters who essentially do the same? everything today has to be be about race, gender or economic class. this is marxism at its best.

Are you actually equating a Cuban rafter utilizing the scarce tools and materials available to him in an attempt to leave an oppressive, communist dictatorship to afford him/herself and his/her family the opportunity of a better life in the United States, with billionaires engaging in macabre tourism at the ocean floor for their own enjoyment?

If so, one of the most asinine comparisons in the history of this message board, which is saying a lot.

Advertisement
Listen, I've seen some bad takes and people with misguided opinions, but equating billionaires spending more than most people make in a decade to go see a sunken ship is not even close to the same as people willing to risk death to enjoy the basic freedoms we so easily take for granted.

This is a good time to just say you made a bad comparison and apologize.

The bottom line is every engineering and scientific principle was violated as it relates to the use of a conveyance in a commercial venture that is inherently dangerous.

Even with well-established submersibles made of materials proven over decades, there is still a risk. But then to use a material that has never been used in the past, and trust your life to it, without the rigorous standards that have been previously used, it’s pure insanity.

The owner must’ve been one **** of a salesman to gloss this over.

As a recreational diver, I know all too well, and have experienced myself, what water pressure at depth can do. The deepest I’ve ever dove is just over 150 feet, and even at that shallow depth, there is risk. Every 34 feet is one atmosphere. So even if you dive to just 34 feet, you have 2 atm of pressure impinging on you.

At the over 1,000 feet that this thing imploded at, the enormous pressure at least assured an instantaneous death - mercifully.

Listen, I've seen some bad takes and people with misguided opinions, but equating billionaires spending more than most people make in a decade to go see a sunken ship is not even close to the same as people willing to risk death to enjoy the basic freedoms we so easily take for granted.

This is a good time to just say you made a bad comparison and apologize.
i agree with you, but what i am trying to say is that their being rich is irrelevant to the cause of their death and that not everything needs to be filtered through race, gender or economic class!

Advertisement
The bottom line is every engineering and scientific principle was violated as it relates to the use of a conveyance in a commercial venture that is inherently dangerous.

Even with well-established submersibles made of materials proven over decades, there is still a risk. But then to use a material that has never been used in the past, and trust your life to it, without the rigorous standards that have been previously used, it’s pure insanity.

The owner must’ve been one **** of a salesman to gloss this over.

As a recreational diver, I know all too well, and have experienced myself, what water pressure at depth can do. The deepest I’ve ever dove is just over 150 feet, and even at that shallow depth, there is risk. Every 34 feet is one atmosphere. So even if you dive to just 34 feet, you have 2 atm of pressure impinging on you.

At the over 1,000 feet that this thing imploded at, the enormous pressure at least assured an instantaneous death - mercifully.
The sub was at 3500 meters when it imploded. According to another recent comment they had apparently initiated dropping lead weights in an attempt to stop the descent and commence the ascent to the surface. Reportedly an early warning system had been triggered that indicated there was an issue with the integrity of the hull ... de-lamination of the carbon fiber. That is when coms were lost and it imploded. According to a USN doctor ... it would have been like turning off a light switch ... one moment your are there alive and then in a millisecond you no longer exist ... instantaneous and painless death. Seems like there should be laws against using experimental, unproven technology for sub trips of that nature. As one engineer pointed out ... there are only 10 subs with that depth capability outside of the military and the only one that was not certified according to an engineering standard was the Titan.

The sub was at 3500 meters when it imploded. According to another recent comment they had apparently initiated dropping lead weights in an attempt to stop the descent and commence the ascent to the surface. Reportedly an early warning system had been triggered that indicated there was an issue with the integrity of the hull ... de-lamination of the carbon fiber. That is when coms were lost and it imploded. According to a USN doctor ... it would have been like turning off a light switch ... one moment your are there alive and then in a millisecond you no longer exist ... instantaneous and painless death. Seems like there should be laws against using experimental, unproven technology for sub trips of that nature. As one engineer pointed out ... there are only 10 subs with that depth capability outside of the military and the only one that was not certified according to an engineering standard was the Titan.

I agree with everything, except may be that there should be law part. One thing that we have to remember is that I’m pretty sure this is out in international waters, and secondly, to make a law for such a unique and one in 1 billion occurrence, I just don’t know. I mean it’s not like anybody’s going to try this particular thing again

US knows exactly to the foot and second where and when that sub imploded.

They [Navy] are being purposefully vague in order to not give away technical capabilities for our adversaries to read.

They should be very tight lipped.

Fun Fact: SS Titanic was found only as an agreed to side jaunt because Navy assets were searching for a lost Russian submarine. "Finding the Titanic" was a cover story.

Advertisement
Back