Tired of making the same post

View as article
Because i‘m over talking about it. Evey time I move on i‘m blown up with twenty responses or smart *** comments. I’m living deja vu lol. Like I said I see why some folks just went quiet. I’ll do the same with this subject.
Just sit back and wait. All of these same clowns will start singing a different tune when the offense inevitably continues to sputter. They will then act like they never had their prior opinions and will be calling for Gattis’s head. Some will probably make new accounts. This has happened for every failed coach we’ve had here since this board existed.

Advertisement
One was supposed to have been a toss & other two were rpo. Tyler chose that option.

OK, this is an honest question, so I'm just going to ask it.

Why call an RPO in that situation if there is a decent possibility of a QB run? That still doesn't make a lot of sense FOR THE OC TO CALL THAT PLAY, while fully acknowledging that TVD's decision was wrong too. I think that one or two of those RPOs/pitches went into the short side of the field, which makes things even worse, as you quickly lose the ability to get to the outside, thus leaving yourself only the cutback run lane.

To be honest, I didn't see a lot of RPO in the middle of the field, and I'm not sure what makes it a good playcall (not even once, but TWICE) in the red zone.

Just my 2 cents.

TVD's decision making was lacking to put it kindly.

I'm indifferent about the play calling though. It had its positives. And I understand that the drops, bad throws and poor decisions weren't on him.

But all these tight formations.. None of these WR can get separation. They're going to have to be schemed open. He can do something about spacing them out. Its hard to believe that its just suddenly going to click and these guys figure out how to create separation.

I mean.. What do you think is more likely to happen? Gattis makes changes to his system or stays the course?
A mesh of the two. Definitely needs to get more creative with spacing BUT you also can't sell that out and expose your hand. We need defenses respecting the run & fearing the pass. I'm sure it's gonna bore everyone but I'd say we need to run more two tight end sets for the purpose of the passing game. I'd like to see skinner utilized in the passing game far more often. He's the most talented option we have out there. I think only way any of this becomes options is if we test out options further down the chart in wr room. After a&m I've seen everything I needed to see out of Redding to know he shouldn't be on the field. Only ones I'm ready to say I'm comfortable with from a results stand point is x , key & breshard. Past that were gonna have to get creative. I've always felt decent about jacolby but after seeing his effort level against what he viewed as superior talent, I'm not gonna give him a pass again.

Advertisement
We have a bad habit as fans of blaming coaching as the only reason we haven't lived up to the billing. Its 20 years of bad coaches...so I get it...but some of yall just don't believe your eyes. Some lack of execution was just evident. You don't need to be Sean McVay to see it. The lack of execution doesn't absolve Gattis of those playcalls either...they can be two different discussions.

From TVD today:

Van Dyke also was asked if he feels comfortable in the Josh Gattis offense, which so far appears much more run-heavy than what Rhett Lashlee ran. To that end, Miami netted 175 yards on the ground last weekend.

“I don’t think it’s a big adjustment (from Rhett Lashlee to Gattis), football is football,” Van Dyke said. “It comes down to a connection level with receivers, and it starts with me. Better throws for them to catch.”

Van Dyke also indicated that there could be some pieces of last year’s offense he did well that will be implemented.

“I mean, I think people thought last year that this type of offense would be better for me,” Van Dyke said. “It doesn’t matter up-tempo spread, handing to the guys. This year it’s the same case. We’ll implement things we did last year we really did well at. We’ll have a good mix of what coach Gattis likes to do and implement a little of what we did last year.”

This has happened for every failed coach we’ve had here since this board existed.

You hit on something on accident. Even though we've tried different backgrounds and philosophies, Miami guys and non-Miami guys, fiery guys and soft-spoken guys, the result is that they all fail. The one constant? South FLO-RIDA swag up and down the roster. But we will eventually run this staff out of town and bring in the next group to fail.

Advertisement
When you complete your drop and plant your back foot, the primary read should be there so you can throw in rhythmn, otherwise you reset and go to your secondary or check down. It’s still TVDs responsibility to put the ball on his guy but you could tell his waiting for his primary to clear was throwing off his timing and accuracy.

Yeah, I heard Roman talking about some of this too.

You have an RPO-tradeoff going on here. Roman has showed some clips where the OLs are clearly getting downfield better for run blocking, getting hits on LBs, when they were a bit delayed in the past due to the RPO decision process. So moving away from RPO has (in a small sample size) shown a lot of improvement in OL run blocking and the RBs getting very clean lanes for the first 5 or 6 yards.

On the other hand, that mesh-point RPO decision-making delay gave WRs a bit more time to get downfield, to the point where when TVD did plant his back foot, a bit more time had passed. With a straight dropback out of a shotgun snap, you plant the back foot a bit sooner. Now, this may be IN ADDITION TO the WRs being asked to run routes that take longer to develop. It's a bit hard to time every single WR separately, but regardless, I've heard chatter that the 2022 WR routes take a bit longer than the 2021 WR routes did, so if you combine "TVD getting set to throw sooner" with "WRs taking longer to get open", it's a recipe for poor timing in the passing game.

I was never a huge fan of RPO, but I can respect the fact that some QBs love it and/or are great at it. I like our run-blocking and RB production thus far, but we have to put a LOT more work into the timing of the passing game.

Mannnn...STFU with your Toxic BS...the day you're 1/100th of the fan I am will be never.

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

Yup, yet we still had fans screaming "15-0" and talking about rolling fifth-year Jimbo three games into Mario's tenure.

Some more fun facts for the crowd that wants 15 years of incompetence and irrelevance cleaned up overnight. Going into this season:

— 118-85 since the 2005 Peach Bowl, which comes out to a 7-5 average as a program over that 16-year span.

— 28-21 after Richt's fugazi of a 10-0 start to 2017 (which could've easily been 6-4 without a few miracles.)

— 21-15 under Diaz over a three-year span; low-lighted with blowouts against Alabama (44-13), North Carolina (62-24) and Clemson (42-17), a three-game losing streak to FIU, Duke and a bowl shutout against Louisiana Tech, 4th-and-14 in a 7-5 season, zero bowl wins, 0-3 against the Tar Heels, a 6-7 inaugural run (after putting "7-6" on tackling dummies chests and joining the fracas like the man-boy he is.)

Broken little culture also included victory cigars after beating a putrid FIU team, slip and slide in the rain with players after surviving a home win over Virginia—not to mention tough-guy Twitter talk year one, the yacht booster entrance and other little Napoleon complex moves.

— Cristobal is Miami's third head coach over the same span Jimbo has been at aTm; sixth head coach in 15 seasons. (Not to mention the rotating door of coordinators over that span.)

Will say it again; fans' frustration with a decade and a half of eating **** has nothing to do with the timeline of righting the ship. Some of y'all deluded yourself when looking at this 2022 roster. Didn't want to believe that reports of receivers struggling was real—then them dudes couldn't get separation from aTm's third-string secondary.

This is an 8-4 or at best, a 9-3 football team at this rate—much of that due to how sorry the entire ACC is looking right now.

Mario's response to the loss and getting the kids back to work with the right attitude about things; that is where the growth will occur and that new culture will permeate into the next class of well-recruited kids. Every class that comes in from here will have nothing to do with Diaz and his merry band of frauds.

This team will get better as the year goes on (barring it stays healthy, as the two-deep ain't where it needs to be), a solid class will come in, the process will repeat and by year 2024 you'll see a true Cristobal-led program and what it will look like.

Whatever Florida State is or isn't, 2022 is year three of the Norvell era. They were a laughing stock the first two years, but this year have figured out how to win close games against LSU and Louisville—which wasn't in their DNA year one.

It takes a minute for a coach to put his fingerprints on a program. Any of y'all that thought it would be fixed overnight because Mario got a fat check and hired a quality staff; that's on you as y'all know better and understand how this game is played.

Buckle up, Buttercups.

Why call an RPO in that situation if there is a decent possibility of a QB run? That still doesn't make a lot of sense FOR THE OC TO CALL THAT PLAY, while fully acknowledging that TVD's decision was wrong too. I think that one or two of those RPOs/pitches went into the short side of the field, which makes things even worse, as you quickly lose the ability to get to the outside, thus leaving yourself only the cutback run lane.

To be honest, I didn't see a lot of RPO in the middle of the field, and I'm not sure what makes it a good playcall (not even once, but TWICE) in the red zone.

Just my 2 cents.
Short side was the toss. But that was the issue. Was supposed to go naked. Certainly won't argue that rpo was the best of calls in that instance especially considering Tyler keeps the ball. But it gives us versatility & instills confidence in Tyler's read. Hindsight put skinner outside and run a fade or bring in jacurri for that rpo. We have sets for jacurri that I wouldn't have minded seeing in that spot.

Advertisement

Just my 2 cents.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but an RPO means it's either a handoff to the running back or a pass. No? Giving the QB the option to hand off, throw or run it himself is a different football term (I believe it's the triple option zone read).

From TVD today:

Van Dyke also was asked if he feels comfortable in the Josh Gattis offense, which so far appears much more run-heavy than what Rhett Lashlee ran. To that end, Miami netted 175 yards on the ground last weekend.

“I don’t think it’s a big adjustment (from Rhett Lashlee to Gattis), football is football,” Van Dyke said. “It comes down to a connection level with receivers, and it starts with me. Better throws for them to catch.”

Van Dyke also indicated that there could be some pieces of last year’s offense he did well that will be implemented.

“I mean, I think people thought last year that this type of offense would be better for me,” Van Dyke said. “It doesn’t matter up-tempo spread, handing to the guys. This year it’s the same case. We’ll implement things we did last year we really did well at. We’ll have a good mix of what coach Gattis likes to do and implement a little of what we did last year.”
Gattis’ run offense (in large part thanks for mirabal and Mario) is light years beyond lashes. Lashlee’s passing offense is superior to Gattis’. I pray we mesh the two by brining in more of the lashlee passing game and sticking with the Gattis run game.
Did Ponce call plays at app state? He has to have some **** to implement too right? As many great football minds we have in coral gables right now we should have a ton of knowledge to use. Even if it’s Ed Reed letting us know what he would fear from our O.

6:10minute mark in this video is the play he’s talking about.

Great 8 minute video btw that goes into some depth on a few of the plays we had on offense last game.

I'll tell you what, I was watching the Michigan St. vs UW game Saturday, and man was I impressed by UW's use of shifts and motions.

Advertisement
From TVD today:

I hate when people say we are run heavy. We threw the **** ball like 42 times in a close game. Only half got completed tho.

We are a balanced offense if you base it on the AM game. If we're playing a cupcake, yeah, we may run more.

I'll tell you what, I was watching the Michigan St. vs UW game Saturday, and man was I impressed by UW's use of shifts and motions.
Kalen Deboer is that dude tho and he got his Indiana QB with him who knows and had previous success in that scheme

Knew Mich st was in trouble with their pass defense.. Joy to watch

Correct me if I'm wrong, but an RPO means it's either a handoff to the running back or a pass. No? Giving the QB the option to hand off, throw or run it himself is a different football term (I believe it's the triple option zone read).
Depends. Back when I was coaching our RPO was a pre snap read to throw the bubble, if QB kept then he was reading DE to determine weather to give on the inside zone or keep himself

Advertisement
Back