Tired of making the same post

View as article
The route combinations of the trips receivers on the wide side of the field for the play from 9:34 - 10:35 in this video are just brutal. It created so much congestion and was just doomed to fail by design alone.

And as the commentator is describing about how the corner route for the inside receiver is a commonly featured alternative in this formation, that would at least gives you an end zone shot on a 3rd and a mile where maybe your QB drops it in the bucket, it's placed where only the WR can make a play on it, perhaps you draw a DPI, etc. It at least gives you a shot at something meaningful.
I’ve used the word “ congestion“ a lot the last two days.

Advertisement
Knew Michigan fans weren't crazy about him and thought he was good when he had more help, but didn't know he lied about calling plays at Bama. That is really strange.
All throughout the game day thread I mentioned Gattis wasn’t challenging the safeties and putting them in tough situations. This film showed that. He’s in the box, how couldn’t he see it and adjust? The backside safety on those trips concepts was rolling coverage and making it look easy. When running 2x2 we didn’t challenge the seams and corners to make those safeties move off their spots. We ran guys right into them, or right across their face. Our route concepts made it easy on them too often. Was there a few good calls in there? Sure. Poorly executed but a few good ones. But some also has just 1 option and the rest decoy routes. You at least need a few options, a primary and check down or high low concept. Some has 1 and why TVD has no choice but to throw into coverage or for almost no gain.

Last edited:
This man just legit does not like Gattis. And, I gotta be honest, this doesn't help your argument. Just running commentary as I am watching. I found there were more player errors in just this selection that I even thought going into this video.

First play was all Gattis (he also makes assumption about what coaching the players got and what they were told to do...for all we know WR cut his post shallow, we don't know and neither does this guy) and it was a bad play...but second play was all Cristobal considering it was a good play per this guy...third play, too (btw - he said two TE sets were all Harbaugh, and here Gattis is putting in multiple TE sets a lot in this game...just shows his bias). Two out of three plays were good playcalls and were praised.

Fourth play, Josh Gattis "can't get his players to block"...ok. This is stuff we can call a wash because none of us know what the blocking assignment was...but I'm not chalking that up to some sort of coaching error either. Fifth play...what looks like a dece RPO developing, false start on the offense, puts them behind schedule. Next play...the wheel route...but Keyshawn Smith is open underneath early on (bad play call or bad read? idk, and neither does he, but he blames Gattis on what could have been a poor route run by Parrish, too...I'll chalk this up to a wash, because we don't know what the playcall really asked for). He loved the seventh play call. Canes kick the field goal.

Next drive.

Sprint out, receiver doesn't close or TVD throws a ****ty pass, you choose. Next play, blockers stink and it wasn't exactly the best throw. Next play, straight man coverage, mesh to Parrish, who is wide open for what would put us deep in the red zone, dropped. From the 12, TVD throws an uncatchable ball into the 3rd row, but WRs aren't open either on the smash and 51 is wandering into nothingness leaving the end free to pressure...not a great playcall either, but execution issues, still. I'll call it a wash. Penalty puts us behind schedule. Double post (says its a good play call) and TVD puts into a aTm lineman's face and he even notes the WRs run ****ty routes. He says good run play, but pull guy misses his block. Play after that was just messy...no one is open and Redding gets his hands on the ball but no catch (poor call, poor execution of whatever the **** it was supposed to be).

4th Quarter plays...

All WRs are covered and TVD leaves the pocket to nothingness. Runs another sprint and this guy likes the sprint play. Play after is a bit of a mess. Guy in the video asks for the post...there is no post, but that also might be a poor route as well. idk and neither does this guy either way, its executed like ****, too, whatever it was. Next play, lil out to Mallory...bad throw by TVD, gave Mallory no chance to get up field and no blocking. Pivot route...WR ran that way short.

That was the video. A lot of things per his own words, and some of how I'd evaluate that with what little information we have.

Brother...there are more player related errors on that list than bad play calls. I'm not saying Gattis called a good game, there are several messy play calls in there...and I have said since the beginning it wasn't good, but look at all those player errors...and those are just the obvious ones. Missed blocks, penalties, poor ball placement, drops...and lets be honest, a whole lot of ****ty route running and dudes just not getting open.
Go look at his resume and offenses pre Weiss. Now go look at their offense now. Remember everyone here defending Gattis saying “ his pass game struggled because his qb’s were trash“? Now suddenly our wr’s can‘t block , get separation or catch. Oh and the qb looks like a different guy. Maybe he’s speaking the truth and you just don’t like it. He’s saying what me and others have been saying. I guess we have an agenda too? Most fans speak highly of a quality coach when he leaves , not all of them being happy he’s gone.

Last edited:
All throughout the game day thread I mentioned Gattis wasn’t challenging the safeties and putting them in tough situations. This film showed that. He’s in the box, how couldn’t he see it and adjust? The backside safety on those trips concepts was rolling coverage and making it look easy. When running 2x2 we didn’t challenge the seams and corners to make those safeties move off their sports. We ran guys right into them, or right across their face. Our route concepts made it easy on them too often. Was there a few good calls in there? Sure. Poorly executed but a few good ones. But some also has just 1 option and the rest decoy routes. You at least need a few options, a primary and check down or high low concept. Some has 1 and why TVD has no choice but to throw into coverage or for almost no gain.
Lashlee put pressure on the seams with te’s

All throughout the game day thread I mentioned Gattis wasn’t challenging the safeties and putting them in tough situations. This film showed that. He’s in the box, how couldn’t he see it and adjust? The backside safety on those trips concepts was rolling coverage and making it look easy. When running 2x2 we didn’t challenge the seams and corners to make those safeties move off their sports. We ran guys right into them, or right across their face. Our route concepts made it easy on them too often. Was there a few good calls in there? Sure. Poorly executed but a few good ones. But some also has just 1 option and the rest decoy routes. You at least need a few options, a primary and check down or high low concept. Some has 1 and why TVD has no choice but to throw into coverage or for almost no gain.

without knowing as much as you do, or even the all-22, there are times when TVD has a very clean pocket, and you can just see that he's looking around for something to come open. As much as he struggled -- and deserves some of the heat -- I dont think this is all on him

Am I wrong?

Advertisement
without knowing as much as you do, or even the all-22, there are times when TVD has a very clean pocket, and you can just see that he's looking around for something to come open. As much as he struggled -- and deserves some of the heat -- I dont think this is all on him

Am I wrong?
I just watched the tv version. herbstreit called out several situations where the OL gave him 4-5 seconds and he was going from one read to another to find someone open.

Am I wrong?
When you complete your drop and plant your back foot, the primary read should be there so you can throw in rhythmn, otherwise you reset and go to your secondary or check down. It’s still TVDs responsibility to put the ball on his guy but you could tell his waiting for his primary to clear was throwing off his timing and accuracy.

All throughout the game day thread I mentioned Gattis wasn’t challenging the safeties and putting them in tough situations. This film showed that. He’s in the box, how couldn’t he see it and adjust? The backside safety on those trips concepts was rolling coverage and making it look easy. When running 2x2 we didn’t challenge the seams and corners to make those safeties move off their spots. We ran guys right into them, or right across their face. Our route concepts made it easy on them too often. Was there a few good calls in there? Sure. Poorly executed but a few good ones. But some also has just 1 option and the rest decoy routes. You at least need a few options, a primary and check down or high low concept. Some has 1 and why TVD has no choice but to throw into coverage or for almost no gain.
quality post

I just watched the tv version. herbstreit called out several situations where the OL gave him 4-5 seconds and he was going from one read to another to find someone open.
If the OC isn’t giving you the concepts / combinations to beat a coverage you’re f’d. You better have an athlete back their to put some cologne on it by making a play with his feet.

Advertisement
And again, Pittman ain't ballin' at His new stop. Name one kid that was a flunky under Mario at Oregon that's ballin' now, I'll wait!!!
Dude is up there in Tally just killing grass, lol

1663639864106.png

Only problem with that quote is he didn't call QB draws...
TVD's decision making was lacking to put it kindly.

I'm indifferent about the play calling though. It had its positives. And I understand that the drops, bad throws and poor decisions weren't on him.

But all these tight formations.. None of these WR can get separation. They're going to have to be schemed open. He can do something about spacing them out. Its hard to believe that its just suddenly going to click and these guys figure out how to create separation.

I mean.. What do you think is more likely to happen? Gattis makes changes to his system or stays the course?

If these kids catch the fvckin' ball when it's thrown to them...
Don't commit costly holding penalties in the redzone...
And our QB hits a few more of his throws...
We aren't even talkin' about Gattis.

We out-gained them 392 to 264.
We basically ran the ball at will. When's the last time we ran the ball that effectively versus a good opponent?
We only punted 3 times the entire game.
I can't count at least 3 huge/costly drops off the top of my head that could've changed the whole outcome of the game.

You guys want tempo FOR WHAT?
Just for the sake of going fast?
I would rather go a little slower and get the right "check with me" call then to go fast and be wrong. (thus putting the defense right back on the field)

Not every call by Gattis is gonna work. Football doesn't even work that way. And the redzone calls were a little head-scratching. But there were PLENTY of good calls by Gattis where the kids simply didn't execute. There were tons of passing plays that were schemed open. On the long Arroyo catch we had TWO guys open. (Parrish was wide open)
Parrish was also schemed open on the big 3rd down play that hit him right in his grill.
The long Mallory catch was schemed open.
The long crossing route that Keyshawn dropped (it was a little off) was also schemed open.
The 4th down drop by Brashard was a perfect **** call. "Y Stick" to a slot WR that had leverage. Catch the **** ball and we're still marching down field.

Have yall forgotten how bad Lashlee's offense looked at times?
Inside zone.
Inside zone.
Vertical route.
Punt.

We show way more versatility on offense right now than we have in years past, especially in the running game.
I don't think yall realize how handcuffed we are at times with our lack of talent at WR.

I'm not ready to write-off Gattis yet.
There were plenty of opportunities to make plays and the kids didn't execute.
Because they are delusional thinking Lashlee scored every drive. They also believe he had subpar WRs performing well when we got to watch 6 and 8 drop everything 2 years ago. Even with "pace" and "spacing" it equated to nothing. Disregard all the 3 and outs ineffective run game and annihilation by decent opponents.

Advertisement
Because they are delusional thinking Lashlee scored every drive. They also believe he had subpar WRs performing well when we got to watch 6 and 8 drop everything 2 years ago. Even with "pace" and "spacing" it equated to nothing. Disregard all the 3 and outs ineffective run game and annihilation by decent opponents.
ah yes 15-0 and scoring every drive. no one said that either lol. we got pretty much blown out by An average SEC team sat night just in a diff fashion. is that better?

ah yes 15-0 and scoring every drive. no one said that either lol. we got pretty much blown out by An average SEC team sat night just in a diff fashion. is that better?
As sad as it is that was the best performance weve had in quite some time. Usually in those games we are staring down a 3 TD loss at least. If you enjoy diarrhea stroll on over to the I miss Lashlee suckfest.

As sad as it is that was the best performance weve had in quite some time. Usually in those games we are staring down a 3 TD loss at least. If you enjoy diarrhea stroll on over to the I miss Lashlee suckfest.
atm isnt good. if they were even decent on offense, it'd be worse. our. D was top notch sat night though. so far, this has been one of the better defenses we've fielded from a performance standpoint and coaching standpoint

Advertisement
atm isnt good. if they were even decent on offense, it'd be worse. our. D was top notch sat night though. so far, this has been one of the better defenses we've fielded from a performance standpoint and coaching standpoint
What's your point? Miami isn't good either. The people that thought this was a 10 win team have their panties in a bunch. This was always an 8 win team.

What's your point? Miami isn't good either. The people that thought this was a 10 win team have their panties in a bunch. This was always an 8 win team.
the schedule is a joke along w the conference. it should be 10. were likely winning 8 though.

the schedule is a joke along w the conference. it should be 10. were likely winning 8 though.
We all want it to be 10 but glaring holes on the roster mean it could be 10 or it could be 6. I wouldn't be shocked at either but I expect 8. Mario is here for the long haul. Either the coaching staff adapts to the roster and recruits better or we stay in the same mediocre hole as the last 20 years.

Go look at his resume and offenses pre Weiss. Now go look at their offense now. Remember everyone here defending Gattis saying “ his pass game struggled because his qb’s were trash“? Now suddenly our wr’s can‘t block , get separation or catch. Oh and the qb looks like a different guy. Maybe he’s speaking the truth and you just don’t like it. He’s saying what me and others have been saying. I guess we have an agenda too? Most fans speak highly of a quality coach when he leaves , not all of them being happy he’s gone.
I had a much longer post put together for this, but just deleted it.

You're just absolving a lot of very obvious ****ty football by players for a few plays you could point out were obvious poor playcalls. Most of these same players were non-factors on this team before Mario and Gattis even got here. The fact that they still have stinky tendencies shocks me none. These are professionals now, we can stop caping for these players like they are still kids. Its ok to say they stink when they stink.

Advertisement
Back