Tired of making the same post

View as article
Actually it didn’t work. 9 points and we lost even though the defense gave up 10 points. If you go to the redzone as many times as we did and come away with nine points you will lose every time. Its 2022, not 1982.
The game plan worked the execution failed. Without the special teams errors we win. That doesn't mean the offense played well.

Advertisement
I didn't hate the offensive game plan tbh. He tried to mimic App st and it worked for the most part. My issues are red zone play calling and not doing more to help mask the deficiencies of TVD and the WR room.
Red Zone offense is always part of a game plan....you can't say "I didn't hate the offensive game plan"...then say, but I hated the Red Zone offense.

NC State was down 5 starters against us. That wasn’t their real defense.

App St plays a G5 schedule.

Take out UMASS and NH and recalculate Pitt’s scoring defense. They got torched multiple times. Gave up 30+ 4 times and 29 to Duke. Essentially half their season, they gave up 30+ points.
Thats a lot i analytical bs to passively crap on players to defend coaches.

Miami did not dominate the game. That’s a misnomer. It was a low level game, below 400 yards of offense split between passing/running.

In 2022 time of possession is the most meaningless stat in football. # of first downs? Who cares…that doesn’t matter either. If your score 50 points on half the number of first downs and half the time of possession…you are a good offense in 2022. POINTS!

In modern football you dominate with points and number of plays and/or possessions run. This isn’t 1985
Fine, it’s a misnomer. I made the pointed out that you have to score points (TDs).

We don’t have enough players to make the explosive plays to score in half the first downs or maybe we do have some but the scheme is suppressing them.

Because we didn’t score doesn’t mean that we didn’t drive on them.

They really had no explosive plays either.

27 first downs does matter though. That means you are moving the ball, even if it’s at a snails pace.

Advertisement
Bingo. They aren’t great but he’s doing nothing to help the situation. It didn’t just sneak up on him lol. Same with TVD, so more of what he’s comfortable with and play to his strengths. I’m not overreacting , people just want to defend coaches and rip players. When this dude is very underwhelming with his formations / concepts.
The blame got to be equal on the players especially when there was a lack of execution from PLAYERS when there were plays to be made. Cribby you my guy but it’s not just on the coaches in that game specifically. Everyone deserves criticism from that atrocity. With that being said, time to move on and hope for adjustments throughout the rest of the season.

I didn't hate the offensive game plan tbh. He tried to mimic App st and it worked for the most part. My issues are red zone play calling and not doing more to help mask the deficiencies of TVD and the WR room.
Those are mine as well.

^Fundamentals, people.

That didn’t happen….and it did not happen because of all the other negative factors with the O. Scoring in the redzone is an art….or….it’s a massive BULLY POUND YOuR throat thing.
Gattis needs to play with tempo more. I dont think we need to go full on Lashlee "snap at 34 seconds every play", but it needs something added to it. Whether it's situational like the final 4 minutes of a game (******* pEnos flashback on that drive in particular) or even just having that feel that the defense is reeling on a particular drive...STEP ON THEIR ******* THROAT AND MAKE THEM SURRENDER TO THE CREEPING THOUGHT THAT THE OFFENSE IS GOING TO SCORE. Being physical is more than just having an offensive line manhandle. Being physical is taking the ball from their side of the field and beating their fvckin brains in play after play until that 6 is up or their spirit is broken knowing they can't stop nothin.

Im really curious if the pace of the offense is ******* with TVD's head. Seems like his best throws last year were always the ones that he simply hikes the ball and lets it rip. Like I said in the podcast Q&A post, it just seems like (to my completely untrained eye) there's too much processing going through his head if the 1st read isn't open and its making him second guess too much.

All that said though, YUUUUUUGE mf'in FAIL to the receivers...we can say what we want bout gattis and some it is warranted, but his money plays were SCHEMING guys open to just drop it. Infuriating....whats that Reggie Wayne saying about the ball hitting your hands?

Disappointing, nauseating, frustrating loss in a game that was beyond winnable...BUT, with all the bad ****, there was certainly enough to be encouraged about in the future, and knowing its not some Great Value knockoff Micky-Mouse staph that is being said with helps some.. We shoulda won, coulda won, woulda won...but that don't mean **** now, onto the next week to keep building from success and failure alike.

Agreed, Being physical has nothing to do with style of offense. Being physical is about how you execute an assignment and finish that assignment. You can be BRUTALLY PHYSICAL in a fast tempo offense that spreads you out (or not).

Advertisement
Gattis in the Red Zone:

49285393-10FF-414D-9AD7-CC698BB5AE1D.gif

The blame got to be equal on the players especially when there was a lack of execution from PLAYERS when there were plays to be made. Cribby you my guy but it’s not just on the coaches in that game specifically. Everyone deserves criticism from that atrocity
I think it's splitting hairs to say the players get x% of the blame and the coaching gets the rest. The fact is our WR room absolutely needs to improve and our offense needs to do more to help out what we have now.

If Cristobal's plan is to run this system his whole tenure, it works if he recruits every position like we know he is capable of. That is fine. It is also year 1 right now and the system we're running now needs to be adjusted to what is on the roster now, not what will be on the roster if recruiting goes to plan over the next few cycles.

The offensive coaching staff, including Mario.

1st and Goal at the 10, late 3rd quarter, down 17-3.

Run to Knighton (your weakest back between the tackles, in an area of the field that is condensed and you need power over speed)....2 yards.

Bleed the play clock down, designed QB sweep with TVD. Are you absolutely ******* kidding me with your SECOND designed QB run? Gain of 2.

Bleed the play clock down, another run to Knighton, gain of 2. See 1st down above.

4th and goal from the 4, with just under 5 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter, when the analytics are a CLEAR "go"....kick a FG. 17-6, yay. And we burned 2 minutes off the clock just on the 3 downs from inside the 10.

Just a terrible sequence here. I'm fairly certain we had a 1st and Goal from the 10 yard line, we ran 3 plays, and not a single one of the 11 kids on our side of the ball even entered the endzone at any point. Not on a drive block, not on a pass route, nothing. We didn't even threaten. If you score, it's 17-10, with 19 minutes to play against a team who is severely challenged offensively. Puzzling play-calling, and a terrible in-game decision.

I felt the same way watching that series. That was the worst play-calling of the game, plus the final 2 plays of the game.

Thats a lot i analytical bs to passively crap on players to defend coaches.
I don’t see how. Everything I posted was a fact. Don’t take my word for it. Somebody posted the Bet the Board podcast last week and they spent half the segment on our game talking about the defenses TVD did well against. They were all bad. When we run up against those same bad defenses, we will see a much better comparison between the two.

I’ve been hesitant of the Gattis hire since day one. And I railed on him all week leading up to the game. I still have a bunch of question marks, but the plays were there and just weren’t made. Some issues aren’t going away and I’ve made that known. Was he amazing Saturday night? No. But he did *enough* to win that game.

Advertisement
I also said his offense wasn’t exactly helping the wr’s too. Guys had regressed. It wasn’t just they had struggled. I also said it didn’t fit Tvd In the receivers thread I started weeks ago I said this. That whole thread was defending them because of what I’d heard about the offense.
Guys didn't regress. Last year they were playing to the scheme which GAVE them solid-good stats. That scheme also had MAJOR negatives - like the complete inability to run the ball. And whether people like to admit it or not we DID drive down the field most of this game - that actually is the infuriating part. The actual problem with the offense against A&M was in the redzone. How is the spread scheme going to have made a difference in the redzone? maybe the spread would have led to more big plays, but we had big plays open as is and the qb/wr just didn't perform to a good enough level (so what if the scheme made it more difficult, it was there for the taking!). This isn't us complaining because we went on a bunch of 3 and outs. We are complaining about the offense and the players performance and we STILL drove down the field most of the game. It was about finishing. And the problem wasn't Gattis general scheme not being a spread that led to us not finishing the drives in the redzone. Thats the point I'm making. The scheme was working, even with the poor performances. Tell me, could Lashlees offense had marched up the field that many times with TVD and the WRs playing so poorly? I doubt it. Lashlees offense with TVD clicked against ACC teams - a part of the schedule we haven't entered yet. We will see how Gattis offense does against those defenses.

Also I'm confident that if TVD plays well and if we had some actual quality WRs, this offense will/would be lighting Defenses up. But neither of those are true at this moment.

Red Zone offense is always part of a game plan....you can't say "I didn't hate the offensive game plan"...then say, but I hated the Red Zone offense.
No Red zone is situational. The game plan was run the ball control the clock and try to play action occasionally to keep the defense honest. Unfortunately play action is not a strength for TVD. If they went into the game planning to kick field goals that would be on Mario as the head coach.

On the field? Idk.

Off the field - Thad Franklin. His sideline demeanor wasn’t good. One drive in the red zone or close to it.. I assume he was supposed to be beside Kevin Smith and he was sitting on the bench. They were looking for him to send him in the game and couldn’t find him and scrambled and they eventually ran Parrish back out there. Thad got lit into during the FG attempt a few plays later.
This is just terrible.

He’s balled out and his reward is a handful of snaps.

He handled it the wrong way but he’s a what, 18-19 year old kid (definitely not excusing it) but it doesn’t matter if it was communicated to him or not if this was the game plan, it’s just a raw deal because he’s done everything on the field to earn the plays.

Advertisement
I don’t see how. Everything I posted was a fact. Don’t take my word for it. Somebody posted the Bet the Board podcast last week and they spent half the segment on our game talking about the defenses TVD did well against. They were all bad. When we run up against those same bad defenses, we will see a much better comparison between the two.

I’ve been hesitant of the Gattis hire since day one. And I railed on him all week leading up to the game. I still have a bunch of question marks, but the plays were there and just weren’t made. Some issues aren’t going away and I’ve made that known. Was he amazing Saturday night? No. But he did *enough* to win that game.
Agree that he did enough to win this game. Our guys just didn't execute. It's also not like they were only once or twice. There were multiple opportunities in every quarter to create a game-changing play. This time around, our guys couldn't execute. Doesn't detract from the fact that he needs to be way better playcalling in the RZ, and Mario has to trust his team to go for it inside the 10.

Guys didn't regress. Last year they were playing to the scheme which GAVE them solid-good stats. That scheme also had MAJOR negatives - like the complete inability to run the ball. And whether people like to admit it or not we DID drive down the field most of this game - that actually is the infuriating part. The actual problem with the offense against A&M was in the redzone. How is the spread scheme going to have made a difference in the redzone? maybe the spread would have led to more big plays, but we had big plays open as is and the qb/wr just didn't perform to a good enough level (so what if the scheme made it more difficult, it was there for the taking!). This isn't us complaining because we went on a bunch of 3 and outs. We are complaining about the offense and the players performance and we STILL drove down the field most of the game. It was about finishing. And the problem wasn't Gattis general scheme not being a spread that led to us not finishing the drives in the redzone. Thats the point I'm making. The scheme was working, even with the poor performances. Tell me, could Lashlees offense had marched up the field that many times with TVD and the WRs playing so poorly? I doubt it. Lashlees offense with TVD clicked against ACC teams - a part of the schedule we haven't entered yet. We will see how Gattis offense does against those defenses.

Also I'm confident that if TVD plays well and if we had some actual quality WRs, this offense will/would be lighting Defenses up. But neither of those are true at this moment.
Playing to the scheme? Go reread your first sentence friend. You made my point and wasn’t even trying to. The scheme helped them.

Perhaps someone can explain this to me. In the 4th quarter when we had 4th down at the 3 yard line, the HC decided to kick a field goal rather than use that one play to try to score a TD. Apparently, he reasoned that we had a better chance of making that kick and then later scoring a TD AND thereafter making a 2 point conversion from the 2 yard line to tie the game. If you do not trust the team to score in one play from the 3 [earning at least 6 points so that another TD wins the game] how do you play for a tie game by stopping TAM and then scoring on our next possession AND then scoring 2 on one play from the 2? This felt very corch-like to me.

It's a great ******* analytical point.

The entire strategery depends on making a one-shot-only 2-yard play (conversion) and they are scared to try a one-shot-only 3-yard play.

I questioned the end-of-first-half fearfulness too, as well as the time management when we were trying to get the ball back.

Mario, call me. Let me make all your sideline decisions. We'll win a lot more games, and you can focus on other issues.

Advertisement
Back