Tired of making the same post

View as article
Advertisement
In today’s modern football, you can’t dominate a game like that and not score touchdowns. The WR room is what it is but Gotta finish the recruiting class strong by having something to sell them as well as any transfer prospects.

Next big test is UNC. No one can save Gattis if the offense looks the same and we lose.
I didn't hate the offensive game plan tbh. He tried to mimic App st and it worked for the most part. My issues are red zone play calling and not doing more to help mask the deficiencies of TVD and the WR room.

Gattis needs to play with tempo more. I dont think we need to go full on Lashlee "snap at 34 seconds every play", but it needs something added to it. Whether it's situational like the final 4 minutes of a game (******* pEnos flashback on that drive in particular) or even just having that feel that the defense is reeling on a particular drive...STEP ON THEIR ******* THROAT AND MAKE THEM SURRENDER TO THE CREEPING THOUGHT THAT THE OFFENSE IS GOING TO SCORE. Being physical is more than just having an offensive line manhandle. Being physical is taking the ball from their side of the field and beating their fvckin brains in play after play until that 6 is up or their spirit is broken knowing they can't stop nothin.

Im really curious if the pace of the offense is ******* with TVD's head. Seems like his best throws last year were always the ones that he simply hikes the ball and lets it rip. Like I said in the podcast Q&A post, it just seems like (to my completely untrained eye) there's too much processing going through his head if the 1st read isn't open and its making him second guess too much.

All that said though, YUUUUUUGE mf'in FAIL to the receivers...we can say what we want bout gattis and some it is warranted, but his money plays were SCHEMING guys open to just drop it. Infuriating....whats that Reggie Wayne saying about the ball hitting your hands?

Disappointing, nauseating, frustrating loss in a game that was beyond winnable...BUT, with all the bad ****, there was certainly enough to be encouraged about in the future, and knowing its not some Great Value knockoff Micky-Mouse staph that is being said with helps some.. We shoulda won, coulda won, woulda won...but that don't mean **** now, onto the next week to keep building from success and failure alike.

I’m telling you what other coaches are saying . Not just Norvell, I just used Pitman as an example since he’s been outspoken about the offense when there. But of course that went over your head like everything tends to do. Explain that?
bro you're definitely over reacting a little imo. Especially as someone who has been saying we have a problem at WR all offseason and in a game where we were missing the only WR any of us were actually counting on this year, and with the actual most talented WR in the room just coming off suspension and not having the coaches trust yet. And with us emphasizing WR with Speed heavily in the transfer portal and us coming up empty. None of this is surprising. And regardless what you say TVD just didn't play well, nor did the WRs. Maybe that play calls/scheme isn't great, but they WERE working. We had 4 12+play 65-83yard drives! It just fell apart in the redzone. All this talk about spacing or quick passes would NOT have been beneficial there. The players just didn't execute. I'm sorry if TVD is better in a full on spread offense - but that simply is not what the identity of this team will be - ever. So anybody hoping to make significant changes to OLine splits and all that is just making wishes into the void. And again, I'm not sure how more quick passes is going to do much positive for us when the A&M dbs were already sitting on everything (compounded in the RZ, which is the majority of our issue) and everybody is already complaining about the lack of deep plays.. All that would have resulted is more 1 read quick passes that gained little or were dropped/picked. I'd trust this run game more for 5 yard plays than any of these WRs. Thats just the situation. TVD was hyped up all offseason as being an NFL qb. If he is as good as everyone believes he will play better.

Also You're saying an Oregon offense that had a complete garbage passing QB last year wasn't making WRs look good? I'm shocked. Michigans offense was good - and that was with McNamara. They have JJ McCarthy starting now, who will be the reason Michigans offense will be superior - if it is. But lets not pretend Michigans offense wasn't good or anything either. Oregons offense wasn't as good, but still actually did better than it's currently performing.

Now I fully agree this loss wasn't good for recruiting. It's all a wheel of suck - we desperately need wrs -> offense performs poorly heavily due to the lack of quality WRs -> recruits don't like the performance on the field -> We struggle to recruit top WRs -> We still desperately need Wrs. Luckily this is game 3, and signing day isn't until December and these WR recruiting battles are not ending anytime soon.

Advertisement
running a slow offense also reduces your number of possessions, so that combined with a bad red zone offense isnt a recipe for success

I didn't hate the offensive game plan tbh. He tried to mimic App st and it worked for the most part. My issues are red zone play calling and not doing more to help mask the deficiencies of TVD and the WR room.
Actually it didn’t work. 9 points and we lost even though the defense gave up 10 points. If you go to the redzone as many times as we did and come away with nine points you will lose every time. Its 2022, not 1982.

Lol amazing job? That wasn’t an amazing job. The only thing he did well was run the ball. The passing scheme is terrible at best
I doubt you know what you’re talking about. Passes hit WRs, they couldn’t complete the catch. The OP says so. B. Smith, Parrish, Key. Smith, and Redding all dropped passes that if caught would have gone for 40 yards.

Also I really don't get why everybody wanted to see more Thad. Bro Thad is not a starting University of Miami RB. Plain and simple. Sure he would be fine at the goal line. But people that wanted to see more of him over Parish are tripping. The only problem with the RB share was that drive Knighton was in in the redzone over Parish imo.

Advertisement
We’re ripping the wr’s but nobody will answer who coaches them?

When players don’t “Execute”, it’s always coaching. It is an extremely rare occasion when a top level D1 program is bad or fails because “The players are mental midgets”. Coaching matters and is huge. Miami hasn’t recruited in the 100’s rankings.

He’s not a runner. It isn’t his game. This is why cribby is saying square peg round hole.
Yeah but he can do it though, he can run and get a first down. He used to play baseball and he’s 6’4 230 plus

I keep hearing about Gattis’ route concepts. About 5 Miami WRs dropped passes that would have went for at least 40 yards. Parrish, both Smiths, and Redding dropped passes with significant YAC if caught.

Advertisement
Now that Gattis has seen that our receivers can't get separation for good DBs, it's on him to scheme around it. THE OL and run game was pretty darn good, but we can't become one dimensional with a QB like TVD.

It's a bit premature to call for someone's head after game 3 that nobody expected us to win, but now is when Gattis can show he's worthy of the hype by adapting and putting up big numbers. Especially since we face at least one more top defense.

bro you're definitely over reacting a little imo. Especially as someone who has been saying we have a problem at WR all offseason and in a game where we were missing the only WR any of us were actually counting on this year, and with the actual most talented WR in the room just coming off suspension and not having the coaches trust yet. And with us emphasizing WR with Speed heavily in the transfer portal and us coming up empty. None of this is surprising. And regardless what you say TVD just didn't play well, nor did the WRs. Maybe that play calls/scheme isn't great, but they WERE working. We had 4 12+play 65-83yard drives! It just fell apart in the redzone. All this talk about spacing or quick passes would NOT have been beneficial there. The players just didn't execute. I'm sorry if TVD is better in a full on spread offense - but that simply is not what the identity of this team will be - ever. So anybody hoping to make significant changes to OLine splits and all that is just making wishes into the void. And again, I'm not sure how more quick passes is going to do much positive for us when the A&M dbs were already sitting on everything (compounded in the RZ, which is the majority of our issue) and everybody is already complaining about the lack of deep plays.. All that would have resulted is more 1 read quick passes that gained little or were dropped/picked. I'd trust this run game more for 5 yard plays than any of these WRs. Thats just the situation. TVD was hyped up all offseason as being an NFL qb. If he is as good as everyone believes he will play better.

Also You're saying an Oregon offense that had a complete garbage passing QB last year wasn't making WRs look good? I'm shocked. Michigans offense was good - and that was with McNamara. They have JJ McCarthy starting now, who will be the reason Michigans offense will be superior - if it is. But lets not pretend Michigans offense wasn't good or anything either. Oregons offense wasn't as good, but still actually did better than it's currently performing.

Now I fully agree this loss wasn't good for recruiting. It's all a wheel of suck - we desperately need wrs -> offense performs poorly heavily due to the lack of quality WRs -> recruits don't like the performance on the field -> We struggle to recruit top WRs -> We still desperately need Wrs. Luckily this is game 3, and signing day isn't until December and these WR recruiting battles are not ending anytime soon.
I also said his offense wasn’t exactly helping the wr’s too. Guys had regressed. It wasn’t just they had struggled. I also said it didn’t fit Tvd In the receivers thread I started weeks ago I said this. That whole thread was defending them because of what I’d heard about the offense.

Advertisement
Well, @DMoney, we're sick of reading them!

Yes, it's early, but from the perspective of the program, it's also late. It's not just that we keep losing, it's how we lose. This aTm team, while not an inferior opponent, was badly weakened, and they got weaker throughout the game.

If we lost, but did so being aggressive and opportunistic, I'd be fine with that. There exists a balance between being conservative and wreckless, but coaches too often insist on one or the other.

The point of frustration is that no matter how early it is, there is no excuse for an uninspired game plan and unprepared play, which is precisely what this was.
You do not get two or 3 years to get it together anymore, especially now that SFL recruiting is on the national stage.

We do need to infuse talent, but between now and then we need to the current players in the best position to succeed. If you can't do that, "the guys we need," ain't coming. We've seen this before.

You have a year of footage on what TVD does very well, and those concepts should be the foundation we're building upon, at least for now, even if they aren't exactly your long-term vision. Do what you have to and win the game. Instead, they will at best be something you fallback on in a pinch.

We had some success running the football, and as highly-recruited as some of their DBs were, they were inexperienced and largely unchallenged. Too often, we had multiple receivers either in, or threatening the same zone while a safety was flat-footed elsewhere, completely unchallenged.

If we went with more space and better pace, we'd have found our busted coverage on an RPO or a wheel route. I would have liked us to send Arroyo or Mallory right at these guys a ton more.

People can say all they want about Harley and Rambo not being here, but everything that is currently being said about our WRs was said about Harley until Lashlee showed up and matched the offense to what was on the roster a **** of a lot better.

NC State was 18th in scoring defense vs FBS competition. They were pretty good.

App State was 33rd at 23.1 pts/game, but they obviously play lower level competition.

Pitt was 45th with 24.9 pts/game allowed vs FBS.

Nobody else on the schedule was top 50.
NC State was down 5 starters against us. That wasn’t their real defense.

App St plays a G5 schedule.

Take out UMASS and NH and recalculate Pitt’s scoring defense. They got torched multiple times. Gave up 30+ 4 times and 29 to Duke. Essentially half their season, they gave up 30+ points.

I feel like many of us on this board and thread are ignoring that we had multiple guys in position on O to capitalize and make game-changing plays. Our guys couldn't convert once. Did we put our guys in a position to convert inside the RZ? No, that's where I have the biggest issue with Gattis' playcalling. Did we have multiple opportunities on O that were blown by bad passes and drops? Absolutely.

Had we not moved the ball whatsoever and come out flat, I'd be more concerned about Gattis. But there were multiple opportunities where our guys were absolutely put in a position to win, and they just couldn't get the job done.
I dont see how anyone can disagree with this whole statement

Both are true. Our WRs are mediocre and Gattis does little to help them in the passing game.
Bingo. They aren’t great but he’s doing nothing to help the situation. It didn’t just sneak up on him lol. Same with TVD, so more of what he’s comfortable with and play to his strengths. I’m not overreacting , people just want to defend coaches and rip players. When this dude is very underwhelming with his formations / concepts.

Advertisement
Back