Tired of making the same post

View as article
Gattis isn't the reason we lost this game. We lost because our guys could not execute. We had guys in position all night to capitalize and take this W. We didn't do it. The RZ playcalling needs to be better, and we have to adjust to our personnel limitations, but the opportunities were there, and we blew them.

On Lashlee, while I'm a fan of him and wish him the best, there's a lot of amnesia around here about his offenses. As you said, we constantly went three and out, had 40-second drives, and put a gassed defense on the field consistently. One reason why our D played so well in this game is that we kept them fresh. Our O actually sustained long drives and gave our D a breather.

I'm confident that Mario and this staff will figure this out. Overall, while I'm ****ed we blew what should've been a win, I saw major improvement from this team.

Also, I'm not really concerned about whether a team doesn't miss an assistant when they leave for another school. 90% of the time, when an assistant leaves (unless they're a complete trainwreck), a fan base will say they won't be missed, or their success was actually because of some other assistant who's still on staff. It's the homer in all of us.

Spot on.

I’d like to see more quick hitters in the passing game to get TVD in rhythm. I think we will learn from this and adapt.

More importantly, the foundation of the offense has been fundamentally changed, we can run block and pass block consistently now. Not elite but massive improvement. Hard for the average fans to see how scheme allowed for this in some ways, most just see the deep passes and flash plays.

Advertisement
Few notes- what’s the average w Tvd as a a starter. It changed once king got hurt. Harris didn’t run their offense last year. He had a co oc and an hc who schemed the offense bc he was horrible their first two years w him as sole oc
We scored 35 points a game with TVD from UVA on. But look at the defenses. They were all bad.

We simply don't have a single game changing receiver on the current roster.

Restrepo is a good player, but he's a slot guy. Smith, George, and the others each have their own redeeming qualities, but none of them are complete receivers. The game of football is hard enough but when you don't have a "guy" you find yourself having to consistently put together 7,8, and 9 play drives to score against good teams. The best teams get lifted by the big play or at the very least the THREAT of the big play.

THIS is why many of us get so ****ed off in recruiting when the high end guys go elsewhere. For each of those high end guys that ended up going elsewhere there was always that ONE guy on this board who would post the ol' "Next year South Florida is loaded at WR" we'll get our guy then type. I hate to break it to you guys....but every time you lose one of those battles for a stud in your backyard, someone else benefits and you directly lose. You just added 3,4, or 5 additional plays to your hypothetical scoring drive example.

So what I expect to see from now through the signing day periods is Mario with his boyish charm and Ruiz with his pocketbook do whatever it takes to make guys like Hykeem Williams stay home. Hykeem is just a name and the example I used here, but there are several others out there of a similar ilk who would suffice. We can't continue to allow Ohio State, LSU, and the regular offenders to come into our backyard and continue to poach these game breaking type difference makers. If you put together a good 9 or 10 win season , send Mario in to win the living room, and supplement it with Ruiz doing his thing.....there's a clear path to fix this problem.

Advertisement
I'm not giving up on Gattis and think he has a good running scheme so I'm not being ultra negative here, however, i have a question for anyone that might know. Did Mario ever offer or SERIOUSLY consider hiring a non bro style OC? I know there were rumors with Candle, Briles (not gonna lie, this one hurt), and a few others but was he actually close to getting these guys?

I just ask as I'm wondering just how married Mario is to a more pro/bro style offense. Is there any hope he hires a more progressive OC and is more hands off? It's completely his M.O. now and it can't help recruiting.

You think Mario will pull the plug if needed after one year?
I’m not saying fire the dude , I’m saying he’s paid to put kids in better positions. Make the qb comfortable and play to his strengths. Or is he just married to what he does? I said before the season kids are having issues picking this scheme up and it’s an enormous change. I Know my boy @Liberty City El has remained quiet, maybe he’s busy.

We scored 35 points a game with TVD from UVA on. But look at the defenses. They were all bad.
NC State was 18th in scoring defense vs FBS competition. They were pretty good.

App State was 33rd at 23.1 pts/game, but they obviously play lower level competition.

Pitt was 45th with 24.9 pts/game allowed vs FBS.

Nobody else on the schedule was top 50.

Advertisement
if coaches preach about tempo tempo at practice y isn't showing up in games?? lil bit tempo

Tempo or “pace” of offense is a culture and overpowering philosophy. It’s not something you turn on or off. It is ALL YOU DO and EVERYONE at every position is involved in that culture and style. Look at Lebby, Huepel and Frost (prior to NEB). They are nasty good at it and their goal is to play as fast as possible and rip off as many plays as possible in a game, it’s a hyper aggressive mentality and style that dictates a game. It means you don’t even blink about 4th and short, it’s a super confident GO FOR IT the play is already called.

Anyway….This current system and culture couldn’t be further away from that. It’s all slow and painful.

Mario will likely make changes….soon.

But that depth ain’t doin ****! Only other DT lookin hood is Jackson. Miller made a play or 2 last game! The DEs are playing real good
LOL what game are you watching? They are all playing well. LT should get more reps but Steele just said it in his presser. He's progressing and still freelancing a bit.

Unless we score 45 points a game, despite not having our players execute and blow opportunities, some people will want Gattis gone.
Coming off a scoring output of 9 points you want to talk about 45 points a game? Nobody is expecting 45 points a game. That’s not the issue. 18 points would’ve done the job.

Advertisement
No, fans are acting like he isn’t putting his players in a position to be successful when it matters.
Nobody gives a *** about yards or three and outs. How about we score two td’s out of all those trips to the redzone. I’d been ok with the rest of the game being three and outs with 250 total yards if that happened. Because we likely win going away.

Last edited:
I feel like many of us on this board and thread are ignoring that we had multiple guys in position on O to capitalize and make game-changing plays. Our guys couldn't convert once. Did we put our guys in a position to convert inside the RZ? No, that's where I have the biggest issue with Gattis' playcalling. Did we have multiple opportunities on O that were blown by bad passes and drops? Absolutely.

Had we not moved the ball whatsoever and come out flat, I'd be more concerned about Gattis. But there were multiple opportunities where our guys were absolutely put in a position to win, and they just couldn't get the job done.

Uninspired. That’s the feeling I had leaving Kyle Field. It’s not the right thing to say as the owner of a fan website, but it’s the truth. It was a boring game with a familiar result. Let’s get the obvious out of the way: it's early, this is a building process, and it's way too early to make any sweeping observation about the Cristobal Era. But this was a major missed opportunity to build momentum in recruiting and within the fanbase. Some specific thoughts:

- We paid too much money for nine points. Gattis is accountable for the end result, no matter how fluky (first team since at least 2000 to have 27 first downs and zero touchdowns). Our pace was puzzling to me. Is there a distinct advantage to going no huddle when we move so slowly?

- The game was lost when we ran three times in the red zone and kicked a field goal down 17-3. You can’t say you have the best QB in the country and then show a complete lack of faith in him.

- The past few years, and this weekend in particular, really hammered a point home: WR has become a Top 3 important position in football. Look at the Dolphins on Sunday. Maybe someone who charted the game can correct me, but I can’t remember a single contested catch in 41 passes. “NFL open” does not exist in our passing game. We have body catchers, not snatchers. We should not miss guys like Rambo (undrafted), Harley (undrafted) and Restrepo as much as we do. This is Miami. The whiffs in the Transfer Portal really showed up on Saturday.

- Upon rewatch, I’m not as down on TVD. He played bad, but his degree of difficulty was off the charts. I thought back to my first time watching him at Paradise Camp. I expected a big, mechanical QB who would drive the ball but struggle to create. Instead, I saw an instinctive athlete who changed speeds and arm angles and thrived with a fast tempo. It feels like we are trying to put him back in that box with the slow-developing plays.

TVD is tough and will hang in until the last second to make the throw, but he should have more quick-hitting options to get in rhythm. It reminds me of Kaaya under Richt. There was a regression (and four losses) followed by schematic adjustment to get the ball out of his hands quicker. Those changes were in response to poor OL play, which isn’t really our problem. But they got results. I hope we see similar adjustments before the losses pile up.

- Some of our recruiting victories over the SEC showed up on Saturday. Jalen Rivers was moving people and is a huge reason for our improved running game. Leonard Taylor brings special interior rush ability, which is the best way to disrupt a passing game. James Williams missed a key tackle on the Achane TD, but otherwise was everywhere as a versatile weapon. We need more like those guys.

- The running backs ran hard and finished above their weight class. I was disappointed we didn’t have anything special cooked up for Jaylan Knighton in the passing game. He is our most explosive player and we need everything we can get.

- Happy for DJ Ivey. His game elevates when he tackles with physicality. The more he plays with a confident edge, the more he will finish at the catch point with length and timing.

- In general, this game looked very much like what we saw on Greentree. Struggles with downfield passing game, improved OL, strong DL, elevated DB play. For all the talk about Greentree All-Americans, the players generally play like they practice.

- Jacolby George needs to lock in. He’s clearly the most talented pure WR, but when Joe Rose asked Mario about him this AM the first thing Mario talked about was off-field reliability. This is a huge opportunity for George and he needs to seize it.

- Kamren Kinchens is playing faster every game. His football IQ is as good as it gets, and he is really starting to trust his instincts and pull the trigger.

- I like the way the pass rush is trending. We are 5th in the nation in sack percentage and a lot of people are contributing. That rush will lead to wins in ACC play.

- The most encouraging long-term sign is the OL. We looked strong against an SEC team and Mario is recruiting behemoths. If Miami becomes an OL program, it will raise our floor.

Overall, the improvements in physicality were apparent but we gave away a winnable game. Muffed punts, drops, penalties, missed kicks. Before the season, I expected a year like Mario’s first at Oregon or Richt’s first at Miami. That’s still the projection. This offense and pace will lead to a lot of close games where anything can happen. Time for the coaches to earn their money and make the necessary adjustments.

Pretty much nailed it. I would add a few things:

- Not sure why we didn't play Thad more, particularly in the second half. I think his physicality would have led to some nice runs against a stressed aTm defense.

- Borregales seemed to struggle with kickoffs after putting nearly everything in the end zone during the prior 2 games.

- The 3-game/still-fixable trend with TVD seems to be misses due to underthrowing. What is going on here, it's not arm strength? Seems like "fear of making mistakes with new coaches" has taken away some of that pinpoint ball placement.

- What happens with our D on those drives where every offensive play seems to hit? The first drives of the first and second half by aTm sliced apart a defense that looked pretty good for the REST OF THE GAME. It's strange, as well as our defense has played (particularly in "points given up"), there are some opposing drives that just make us look incapable for 10 plays in a row.

- Why did we not take a couple of shots at the end of the first half, knowing full well we would get the ball to open the second half? I agree that "five FG attempts" tends to make it look like we are unconfident in TVD and the offense, particularly when the 2 misses come back-to-back and are in the middle of the game.

- The last two plays of the game (for us) looked poorly planned, not sure why we don't seem to have multiple plays called there, with no TOs. The third down play was well short and not at the sidelines when we have a running clock, and the final play was just a mess and rushed.

Overall, I see a lot more effort, but certain things (holding, formation/false start penalties, mistakes on STs) came back to bit us. I mentioned to someone else earlier, though, in a low-scoring game with not a lot of opportunities to score, the 2 missed kicks, the kicks that coulda/shoulda been TDs, and the muffed punt are over 20 points of scoring swing.

We need to put together some very strong reactions over the next few games, and if we work out the kinks, I'd say we have A SHOT (small, but real) to beat Clemson in Death Valley.

Advertisement
I wrote this last night but didn't post it because I was tired of the rah-rah crowd telling me I was being impatient or that it was dumb of me to suggest that Mario should have picked an uptempo power spread OC instead of Gattis. Since @DMoney brought the heat, I'm posting it now.
----
It's interesting to look at how the Miami Dolphins transformed in the off season. Tua was starting to look like an all time bust. Last year the backup QB outperformed him. Then UM gets an offensive guru as HC and adds two of the best WRs in the country. And now not even a 21 pt deficit at Halftime on the road, while facing the best running QB in NFL history, can stop Miami.

If Mario is as close to Ruiz as people believe, then this coming offseason Mario needs to beg his friend to sign the two top WRs in the portal to massive NIL deals. There are some offensive schemes that could squeeze more productivity out of the WRs, but Gattis doesn't run one of those offenses. When all goes well, the Gattis offense could put up really good numbers- but he needs superior WR talent in the scheme he runs at UM. It doesn't look like help is coming through the 2023 recruiting class, which means that we are probably going to stuck in a 8-9 win seasons until we get at least one elite WR.
You dont see Robby and Joseph as superior WR talents? At least Joseph?

The writing was on the wall. Plenty of people on here said TVD’s numbers would fall off. And said Gattis and Mario run an offense that is slow and nothing like what should be done with our current roster. But the off season kool aid was flowing and nobody listened.

There are two options now. Change the offense, or change the QB.
Neither are going to change.

Gattis needs to adapt or die and Mario needs to have the self-awareness that we can meet somewhere in the middle

How about we score two td’s out of all those trips to the redzone. I’d been ok with the rest of the game being three and outs with 250 total yards if that happened. Because we likely win going away.
^Fundamentals, people.

In today’s modern football, you can’t dominate a game like that and not score touchdowns. The WR room is what it is but Gotta finish the recruiting class strong by having something to sell them as well as any transfer prospects.

Next big test is UNC. No one can save Gattis if the offense looks the same and we lose.

Miami did not dominate the game. That’s a misnomer. It was a low level game, below 400 yards of offense split between passing/running.

In 2022 time of possession is the most meaningless stat in football. # of first downs? Who cares…that doesn’t matter either. If your score 50 points on half the number of first downs and half the time of possession…you are a good offense in 2022. POINTS!

In modern football you dominate with points and number of plays and/or possessions run. This isn’t 1985

Advertisement
Back