Tired of making the same post

View as article
If these kids catch the fvckin' ball when it's thrown to them...
Don't commit costly holding penalties in the redzone...
And our QB hits a few more of his throws...
We aren't even talkin' about Gattis.

We out-gained them 392 to 264.
We basically ran the ball at will. When's the last time we ran the ball that effectively versus a good opponent?
We only punted 3 times the entire game.
I can't count at least 3 huge/costly drops off the top of my head that could've changed the whole outcome of the game.

You guys want tempo FOR WHAT?
Just for the sake of going fast?
I would rather go a little slower and get the right "check with me" call then to go fast and be wrong. (thus putting the defense right back on the field)

Not every call by Gattis is gonna work. Football doesn't even work that way. And the redzone calls were a little head-scratching. But there were PLENTY of good calls by Gattis where the kids simply didn't execute. There were tons of passing plays that were schemed open. On the long Arroyo catch we had TWO guys open. (Parrish was wide open)
Parrish was also schemed open on the big 3rd down play that hit him right in his grill.
The long Mallory catch was schemed open.
The long crossing route that Keyshawn dropped (it was a little off) was also schemed open.
The 4th down drop by Brashard was a perfect **** call. "Y Stick" to a slot WR that had leverage. Catch the **** ball and we're still marching down field.

Have yall forgotten how bad Lashlee's offense looked at times?
Inside zone.
Inside zone.
Vertical route.
Punt.

We show way more versatility on offense right now than we have in years past, especially in the running game.
I don't think yall realize how handcuffed we are at times with our lack of talent at WR.

I'm not ready to write-off Gattis yet.
There were plenty of opportunities to make plays and the kids didn't execute.
I am somewhere in between this and the idea that we should absolutely still be utilizing the faster developing quicker read pass plays and rpo.

I think we’re all really disappointed because we dropped a game we absolutely could’ve won and should’ve won.

To be fair some of our drives that were about to be 3&out were sustained by targeting penalties too. Our run game was good and our passing game needs to improve. Our pass game in particular had some plays where the scheme worked and players missed and some plays were there wasn’t anything available or took too long to develop.

Need to get that stuff figured out.

Last edited:
Advertisement

We basically ran the ball at will. When's the last time we ran the ball that effectively versus a good opponent?
I can't count at least 3 huge/costly drops off the top of my head that could've changed the whole outcome of the game.

I would rather go a little slower and get the right "check with me" call then to go fast and be wrong. (thus putting the defense right back on the field)

Not every call by Gattis is gonna work. Football doesn't even work that way. And the redzone calls were a little head-scratching. But there were PLENTY of good calls by Gattis where the kids simply didn't execute. There were tons of passing plays that were schemed open. On the long Arroyo catch we had TWO guys open. (Parrish was wide open)
Parrish was also schemed open on the big 3rd down play that hit him right in his grill.
The long crossing route that Keyshawn dropped (it was a little off) was also schemed open.
The 4th down drop by Brashard was a perfect **** call. "Y Stick" to a slot WR that had leverage. Catch the **** ball and we're still marching down field.

Inside zone.
Inside zone.
Vertical route.
Punt.

We show way more versatility on offense right now than we have in years past, especially in the running game.
I don't think yall realize how handcuffed we are at times with our lack of talent at WR.

thank-you-michael-scott.gif

Uninspired. That’s the feeling I had leaving Kyle Field. It’s not the right thing to say as the owner of a fan website, but it’s the truth. It was a boring game with a familiar result. Let’s get the obvious out of the way: it's early, this is a building process, and it's way too early to make any sweeping observation about the Cristobal Era. But this was a major missed opportunity to build momentum in recruiting and within the fanbase. Some specific thoughts:

- We paid too much money for nine points. Gattis is accountable for the end result, no matter how fluky (first team since at least 2000 to have 27 first downs and zero touchdowns). Our pace was puzzling to me. Is there a distinct advantage to going no huddle when we move so slowly?

- The game was lost when we ran three times in the red zone and kicked a field goal down 17-3. You can’t say you have the best QB in the country and then show a complete lack of faith in him.

- The past few years, and this weekend in particular, really hammered a point home: WR has become a Top 3 important position in football. Look at the Dolphins on Sunday. Maybe someone who charted the game can correct me, but I can’t remember a single contested catch in 41 passes. “NFL open” does not exist in our passing game. We have body catchers, not snatchers. We should not miss guys like Rambo (undrafted), Harley (undrafted) and Restrepo as much as we do. This is Miami. The whiffs in the Transfer Portal really showed up on Saturday.

- Upon rewatch, I’m not as down on TVD. He played bad, but his degree of difficulty was off the charts. I thought back to my first time watching him at Paradise Camp. I expected a big, mechanical QB who would drive the ball but struggle to create. Instead, I saw an instinctive athlete who changed speeds and arm angles and thrived with a fast tempo. It feels like we are trying to put him back in that box with the slow-developing plays.

TVD is tough and will hang in until the last second to make the throw, but he should have more quick-hitting options to get in rhythm. It reminds me of Kaaya under Richt. There was a regression (and four losses) followed by schematic adjustment to get the ball out of his hands quicker. Those changes were in response to poor OL play, which isn’t really our problem. But they got results. I hope we see similar adjustments before the losses pile up.

- Some of our recruiting victories over the SEC showed up on Saturday. Jalen Rivers was moving people and is a huge reason for our improved running game. Leonard Taylor brings special interior rush ability, which is the best way to disrupt a passing game. James Williams missed a key tackle on the Achane TD, but otherwise was everywhere as a versatile weapon. We need more like those guys.

- The running backs ran hard and finished above their weight class. I was disappointed we didn’t have anything special cooked up for Jaylan Knighton in the passing game. He is our most explosive player and we need everything we can get.

- Happy for DJ Ivey. His game elevates when he tackles with physicality. The more he plays with a confident edge, the more he will finish at the catch point with length and timing.

- In general, this game looked very much like what we saw on Greentree. Struggles with downfield passing game, improved OL, strong DL, elevated DB play. For all the talk about Greentree All-Americans, the players generally play like they practice.

- Jacolby George needs to lock in. He’s clearly the most talented pure WR, but when Joe Rose asked Mario about him this AM the first thing Mario talked about was off-field reliability. This is a huge opportunity for George and he needs to seize it.

- Kamren Kinchens is playing faster every game. His football IQ is as good as it gets, and he is really starting to trust his instincts and pull the trigger.

- I like the way the pass rush is trending. We are 5th in the nation in sack percentage and a lot of people are contributing. That rush will lead to wins in ACC play.

- The most encouraging long-term sign is the OL. We looked strong against an SEC team and Mario is recruiting behemoths. If Miami becomes an OL program, it will raise our floor.

Overall, the improvements in physicality were apparent but we gave away a winnable game. Muffed punts, drops, penalties, missed kicks. Before the season, I expected a year like Mario’s first at Oregon or Richt’s first at Miami. That’s still the projection. This offense and pace will lead to a lot of close games where anything can happen. Time for the coaches to earn their money and make the necessary adjustments.
So fire Gattis??

8E497521-240B-4187-9F43-75AFBFAA3AAD.gif

Advertisement
The drive that rooster ran in the red zone I would’ve preferred to see Thad. Besides that, I like getting Parrish and Rooster touches between the 20s over Thad.

I’ll take thad in third and short but to be honest I think Parrish runs forward and steals more yards away then look possible so even though he’s undersized he’s really good at that role
Agreed, it may not make sense that Parrish is good in short yardage but he just is.

Imagine being gattis and seeing Rhett lashlee ride TVD to a head coaching job at an upper echelon G5 school by putting him in position to succeed and exploiting his strengths.

And then you decide to go slow and not push the ball.

Inside zone.
Inside zone.
Vertical route.
Punt.

I remember when QP used to blame the players and stick up for Dorito 💀💀💀💀

Dye is running back. Pittman has been loud about Mario’s offense and the fact that it does nothing for WRs
I’m telling you what other coaches are saying . Not just Norvell, I just used Pitman as an example since he’s been outspoken about the offense when there. But of course that went over your head like everything tends to do. Explain that?

And again, Pittman ain't ballin' at His new stop. Name one kid that was a flunky under Mario at Oregon that's ballin' now, I'll wait!!!

Advertisement
Dude, Miami had the ball last and a chance to win the game on the road vs a team with more talent. For what we had to work with, Gattis did an amazing job. ST does their job, Miami walks out with a victory.
Lol amazing job? That wasn’t an amazing job. The only thing he did well was run the ball. The passing scheme is terrible at best

I'd put all of the receivers in front of a jugs machine and sling balls at them for a few hours and Every time they drop a ball or catch it with their body they'd run to the other end of Greentree.

They'd either learn to catch with their hands of be the most fit WR in CFB and ready for the cross-country team when the season was over.

Inside zone.
Inside zone.
Vertical route.
Punt.

I don’t need pace , **** id rather go to the huddle rather than going no huddle and standing with our fingers up our butts for 35 seconds. I know why “ some people” will defend this but the spacing is atrocious and it doesn’t help with wr’s at all. AM was sitting on mostly everything after the half. Because it’s predictable as ****.

I haven’t spoken much on Gattis but I know all about him and his offense. I was warned about everything we’re seeing by somebody who’d know. Right down to the qb would regress. I just hope he adjusts to fit the scheme to the players. That’s all I’ll say on that.

Advertisement
People defending Gattis and ripping players are clueless and have no idea what they’re watching. The route concepts , pacing , and formations do nothing for the qb’s or receivers. TVD is not comfortable in this offense, it does not play to his strengths. Any OC worth his salt would adjust to fit his scheme to the players , he’d also make adjustments to help the wr’s out. He’s known it’s been a weakness since spring. Air raid systems don’t have the greatest Ol and receivers but the scheme uses space to counteract the talent. Wider splits for the OL and using wr’s more to the hashes or outside the hashes. Which helps with getting open.

Gattis better take a long look at himself because Saturday was pathetic. Enoslite pathetic.
Pin this post. Cribby killing it in this thread and calling it how it is.

I've been saying this too. Spacing infinitely helps with separation issues. I'm not panicking here and calling for heads, but Gattis better make some changes.

That was a winnable game that our offensive scheme gifted away.

They were dropping 8 guys a Lot in coverage . To beat that tvd should have done more running wise instead of running like a player scared to get hit too because lanes was open for him to make a play and he hesitated far too often and wasn’t decisive
He’s not a runner. It isn’t his game. This is why cribby is saying square peg round hole.

I'd put all of the receivers in front of a jugs machine and sling balls at them for a few hours and Every time they drop a ball or catch it with their body they'd run to the other end of Greentree.

They'd either learn to catch with their hands of be the most fit WR in CFB and ready for the cross-country team when the season was over.
Our receivers need to work on their timing with our QB too though.

They need to be a unit and figure it out together. Including the RBs and TEs too. Haven’t seen the TEs with any memorable drops this year though

Advertisement
We got up to the line and did the hard count every single play. A&M didn’t jump a single time. Then did check with me and drug the play clock down.

We could have really caught them off guard snapping it quickly a few times and probably could have pulled them offsides a few times after that and get a free play and maybe luck up and catch one downfield.

Didn’t even try.
we did get them to jump at least once that I recall.

Ok trade gattis out for Lashlee. How many times did we go tempo on opening drive and go 3 and out? Shoot, just in general how many times did we go 3 and out with lashlee? He had no run game, went tempo, and before you knew it our defense was back on the field playing gassed.

With how bad our WRs are this year this game would have been a blowout with lashlee
Gattis isn't the reason we lost this game. We lost because our guys could not execute. We had guys in position all night to capitalize and take this W. We didn't do it. The RZ playcalling needs to be better, and we have to adjust to our personnel limitations, but the opportunities were there, and we blew them.

On Lashlee, while I'm a fan of him and wish him the best, there's a lot of amnesia around here about his offenses. As you said, we constantly went three and out, had 40-second drives, and put a gassed defense on the field consistently. One reason why our D played so well in this game is that we kept them fresh. Our O actually sustained long drives and gave our D a breather.

I'm confident that Mario and this staff will figure this out. Overall, while I'm ****ed we blew what should've been a win, I saw major improvement from this team.

Also, I'm not really concerned about whether a team doesn't miss an assistant when they leave for another school. 90% of the time, when an assistant leaves (unless they're a complete trainwreck), a fan base will say they won't be missed, or their success was actually because of some other assistant who's still on staff. It's the homer in all of us.

I can't. Not yet. I'm not making a determination three games in. That's crazy. I mean, sh*t, folks were ready to put UF into the top 5 after week 1 and hand Richardson the Heisman and he's looked awful the last 2 weeks. I assess once there's a sample size. 3 games ain't it. We got a tune-up this week and then 2 weeks to prepare for UNC. If we play UNC and their crappy D and TVD throws for 275 we're all going to feel a lot better.
And in 3 games you know what Richardson is as a passer. It won’t take 8 more games to figure it out. 275? He was averaging over 300 last year.

Advertisement
Back