Tired of making the same post

View as article
The problem you are overlooking and I think what a lot of this gets to on a macro level is running this type of offense shrinks your margin of error. So 7 points gifted to them on the fumble is suddenly a much more difficult setback to overcome. You are not wrong - players need to make all of those plays, but the coaches need to do more to put them in more positions to make more plays where those mistakes are not as heavily emphasized.
I agree but what is Gattis to do when:

Parrish drop probably walk in TD in the RZ

TVD under throws Arroyo (the one the DB tipped) probably a TD.

I get it Gattis is not everyones cup of tea. I am not defending Gattis playing calling in RZ. But man we have to chill with this scorch earth ****. Does Gattis need improve play calling? Yes. Do the player need excute when Gattis puts them position to? Yes. Fan are acting like we had a bunch of 3 and outs and we couldn't move the ball against them.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Gattis’s deep play shots like you said are those long developing clear out routes and although the OL is holding longer, they take a long fcking time to develop and they are more complicated reads

There are openings but the windows are small and when the defenders are trying to get to the QB you don’t have all day
I have a feeling that those clearout routes are going to look so pretty against lesser defenses. Guys catching it in stride with 1 guy to beat up the sideline.

But against aTm, even when they dropped 8... let's be honest... our OL looks wayy better, but they aren't an elite unit by any means. The passing game relies on them to hold blocks so long, and I just don't think our line is there yet like Michigan's was last year.

We are here complaining about our lack of WRs, while aTm beat us with their third team secondary. Durkin outcoached Gattis. Gattis failed to adjust. Simple as that.

Every week I see teams full of 3 star receivers light up scoreboards.

We have five 4* receivers. All but one were rated .91 or higher by 247

Everyone else does more with less but apparently Miami needs 5 Megatrons for their offense to work.
The issue is that most of our fans don’t actually watch football around the country on Saturdays.

Ok trade gattis out for Lashlee. How many times did we go tempo on opening drive and go 3 and out? Shoot, I’m general how many times did we go 3 and out with lashlee? He had no run game, went tempo, and before you knew it our defense was back on the field playing gassed.

With how bad our WRs are this year this game would have been a blowout with lashlee
**** on the players defending a guy Michigan fans celebrated when he left? I guess TVD didn’t look like a different player under Lashlee either? Maybe Gattis should use some of last years spacing to help the qb who was more comfortable in that offense. Maybe use spacing to help the receivers.

Remember is defending Gattis saying Michigans qb’s looked like trash? That’s why their passing game sucked ? Lol.

I agree the throws were bad, but I disagree he got adequate separation. Would have really needed to put it in a bucket.
Agree to disagree then. He would’ve needed to put it in a place where the receiver can make a play on it but yeah wasn’t a huge window. In college football though with PI being favorable you try to give your receivers a chance to make the play

Rambo made a ton of plays last year on balls that weren’t placed in a bucket. He was a dog. If we want to see that again we need to give the receivers a chance to do it

Advertisement
Anyone noticing beyond the dline rotation that we are not rotating much at all in the back 7? Especially at the db group

We rotate the lb groups too. Thats when you see Keontra and Johnson in. The third Group is Chase Smith and Wesley or Huff.

If these kids catch the fvckin' ball when it's thrown to them...
Don't commit costly holding penalties in the redzone...
And our QB hits a few more of his throws...
We aren't even talkin' about Gattis.

We out-gained them 392 to 264.
We basically ran the ball at will. When's the last time we ran the ball that effectively versus a good opponent?
We only punted 3 times the entire game.
I can't count at least 3 huge/costly drops off the top of my head that could've changed the whole outcome of the game.

You guys want tempo FOR WHAT?
Just for the sake of going fast?
I would rather go a little slower and get the right "check with me" call then to go fast and be wrong. (thus putting the defense right back on the field)

Not every call by Gattis is gonna work. Football doesn't even work that way. And the redzone calls were a little head-scratching. But there were PLENTY of good calls by Gattis where the kids simply didn't execute. There were tons of passing plays that were schemed open. On the long Arroyo catch we had TWO guys open. (Parrish was wide open)
Parrish was also schemed open on the big 3rd down play that hit him right in his grill.
The long Mallory catch was schemed open.
The long crossing route that Keyshawn dropped (it was a little off) was also schemed open.
The 4th down drop by Brashard was a perfect **** call. "Y Stick" to a slot WR that had leverage. Catch the **** ball and we're still marching down field.

Have yall forgotten how bad Lashlee's offense looked at times?
Inside zone.
Inside zone.
Vertical route.
Punt.

We show way more versatility on offense right now than we have in years past, especially in the running game.
I don't think yall realize how handcuffed we are at times with our lack of talent at WR.

I'm not ready to write-off Gattis yet.
There were plenty of opportunities to make plays and the kids didn't execute.

Ok trade gattis out for Lashlee. How many times did we go tempo on opening drive and go 3 and out? Shoot, I’m general how many times did we go 3 and out with lashlee? He had no run game, went tempo, and before you knew it our defense was back on the field playing gassed.

With how bad our WRs are this year this game would have been a blowout with lashlee
1) I am not necessarily saying tempo. Going tempo for the sake of going tempo is useless too. I just mean in general. Space. Easy, quick throws to start and get everyone in a rhythm.
2) This is not binary of Gattis or Lashlee. There are many coordinators out there, with varying philosophies. I do not disagree with what you are saying about Lashlee and these sorts of games. The running part and the OL were great and gave us a good chance to win.
3) I am more worried about what Mario wants on the whole and how dogmatic he is to this philosophy. You can be tough, physical, have a good run game, and not make things so complicated for your QB and WRs. It's not like similar questions were not raised from his time at Oregon, both with Herbert and without.

9 points in 2022? Are you kidding me? 9 points isn’t on the offense ? AM closed up shop in the fourth because they knew we couldn’t score. Jimbo folded the play sheet up at 17-3 and was already thinking about his Sunday hair plug treatment.

/end thread

Advertisement
Gattis can develop receivers. He did the same at penn state and he developed Chris godwin
I agree. That is why I raised the question that I did. I get old habits are hard to break, but we have seen every receiver regress.

I was told they were going to tailor the offense to the roster's strengths

Liar Reaction GIF by CBS

Kids have been told about what we’ve seen from rival schools. I’ve mentioned they’re negative recruiting our HC and OC’s pasts. Norvell is like “just talk to Pitman” and leave it at that.

I’m sure the coaches are now texting “told ya so, good luck there“.

Pittman? He sucks now LOL. And Dye is still ballin' from Oregon to USC, explain that.

I agree but what is Gattis to do when:

Parrish drop probably walk in TD in the RZ

TVD under throws Arroyo (the one the DB tipped) probably a TD.

I get it Gattis is not everyones cup of tea. I am not defending Gattis playing calling in RZ. But man we have to chill with scorch earth ****. Does Gattis need improve play calling? Yes. Do the player need excute when Gattis puts them position to? Yes. Fan are acting like we had a bunch of 3 and outs and we couldn't move the ball against them.
This is fair. Personally, I do not think everything is binary or black and white. The players need to execute better, the coaches need to do better in the passing concepts and in the red zone.

Advertisement
We rotate the lb groups too. Thats when you see Keontra and Johnson in. The third Group is Chase Smith and Wesley or Huff.
Steele is who we thought he was. It was a great hire. I actually liked what he was doing with the lb’s. He knew what A&M’s gameplan was, they were going to try to get 11 in space with their rb. He did a great job protecting 11 and the other guys. Which is the job of a great coordinator. Off topic but he was playing WB in key spots in the game, even late in the half. That told me a lot about Wes.

1) I am not necessarily saying tempo. Going tempo for the sake of going tempo is useless too. I just mean in general. Space. Easy, quick throws to start and get everyone in a rhythm.
2) This is not binary of Gattis or Lashlee. There are many coordinators out there, with varying philosophies. I do not disagree with what you are saying about Lashlee and these sorts of games. The running part and the OL were great and gave us a good chance to win.
3) I am more worried about what Mario wants on the whole and how dogmatic he is to this philosophy. You can be tough, physical, have a good run game, and not make things so complicated for your QB and WRs. It's not like similar questions were not raised from his time at Oregon, both with Herbert and without.

I agree with these points, especially getting the ball out quick in space. I think these are easier fixes than most realize.

I’m a jags fan. I watch T-Law last week look lost holding onto the ball too long on slow developing PA plays.

This week was the complete opposite and he looked like a completely different QB. Game plan was quick reads and quick throws. He dominated with that.

I’d be surprised if gattis and staff doesn’t recognize this and adapt. If he doesn’t he’s toast, if he does I really like the balance of the O.

X being out hurt because he’s that quick hitter this year.

Advertisement
Pittman? He sucks now LOL. And Dye is still ballin' from Oregon to USC, explain that.
I’m telling you what other coaches are saying . Not just Norvell, I just used Pitman as an example since he’s been outspoken about the offense when there. But of course that went over your head like everything tends to do. Explain that?

Forgetting the Gattis as OC part. What is the issue with Gattis the WR coach and these kids? He was successful as a WR coach at Vanderbilt. He was successful as a WR coach at Bama, though for only one year. As others have said, these kids were all 4 star recruits that showed promise. Even accounting for a new, more complex scheme, where is the breakdown in Gattis as a teacher/WR coach and these kids?
Maybe the kids we have just are JAGs that have to play. Are they all hard workers idk but I do know 2 are X and Horton. Idk about the others to be fair

@DMoney great point about going no huddle then standing there for 30-35 seconds. What’s the point? It had no purpose , **** they‘re getting a break while we take our half minute to check with me and make the audible. I’ve seen the offense no huddle and have to hurry to beat the play clock lol. Wtf am I watching ?
I said the exact same thing in the gameday thread.You could see their db's were gassed but yet we gave them 30 seconds every play to catch their breath.

That sht we did the other night was stupid.Every play was rushed because it was snapped within 5 seconds and I also hated that we ran 8 minutes off the clock on that 15 play drive to a FG cause we snapped every snap within 5 seconds.If we just snap the ball with 30-35 seconds on the clock not only do their DB's have to try and run with our receiver's every play being gassed but you would have saved an extra 4-5 minutes on the clock.

There's a time to run clock and a time to snap the ball at 35 seconds.Down 2 scores in the 4th qtr. is not the time to be running clock looking over at the sidelines.

TVD plays better with tempo.I wonder if Gattis even watched any of his film from last year or just said fck it i'm gonna run my Big 10 plow horse sht and he will have to adapt.

Stupid is as stupid does and Gattis did stupid sht all night.

Advertisement
Back