Tired of making the same post

View as article
Kids have been told about what we’ve seen from rival schools. I’ve mentioned they’re negative recruiting our HC and OC’s pasts. Norvell is like just talk to Pitman and leave it at that.

I’m sure the coaches are now texting “told ya so, good luck there“.

Not good already

Advertisement
"The game was lost when we ran three times in the red zone and kicked a field goal down 17-3. You can’t say you have the best QB in the country and then show a complete lack of faith in him".

"Maybe someone who charted the game can correct me, but I can’t remember a single contested catch in 41 passes. “NFL open” does not exist in our passing game. We have body catchers, not snatchers".

You can't be shocked when Gattis runs the ball inside the red zone and at the same time be highly critical of our WRs. So, you wanted Gattis to pass in the red zone. To who? Who was catching the ball? According to you, no one was going to catch the ball because the entire game, no one could make a contested catch.

The complaint against Gattis is that he ran TWO QB draws while in the red zone. That's the complaint.
Are there any other positions on the field besides WRs that are allowed to catch passes? How about our TE's. Can we throw them the ball in the RZ? Or how about getting creative with Rooster

There was separation with Key idk what you’re talking about. You need to put the ball in a place where the receiver can make a play

They weren’t great throws but I didn’t see much sunlight either my friend. Granted Jayson Jones is a pretty good corner

I didn't think anyone was uninspired. The OL played the best game we've played against an SEC-type team in 10+ years. Just fantastic overall.

The backs were excellent, except for the Parrish drop (which was an absolute killer, by the way).

TVD isn't as good as people here thought he was for beating up on a bunch of terrible teams last year. He's a good player, a good college QB, he's not great.

The WR's are who we thought they were. Can't separate, and can't catch. Not a single one of these kids will get a sniff on Sundays.

The good news? With an OL this good, we should be able to have much more success against weaker teams, which is what we play the rest of the season until we get to Clemson. It's also Game 3, so I expect the execution to improve as we move forward.

The bad news? The ceiling on this offense is very limited with the lack of playmakers on the outside and with the conservative nature of our staff. So, in weeks where the defense doesn't play its best, and/or when we face above-average offenses (UNC will be the first test), and we have to score to win, there's a good possibility we're going to be in dogfights because the offense just doesn't have the ability to pull away from people.

I still feel good about 9-3, but I wouldn't be shocked if we lost 2 games, aside from Clemson, that we really shouldn't, simply because the defense has a down day or we face a QB who gets hot, and we just can't keep up. I know I already mentioned it, but UNC in 3 weeks scares the **** out of me with this exact scenario playing out. If we win that game, I think 9-3 is probably the worst we finish. Luckily for us, I don't see very many explosive offenses on the schedule going forward.
I’m not ready to make a judgement on TVD yet. Way too easy. Especially in an offense that clearly doesn’t cater to his strengths.

Advertisement
It would even look better with guys like Rambo, Harley and Restrepo. That's the part that scares me. Those guys aren't great and there is a pretty sizable gap between them and what our current group has done in practice and games.
Forgetting the Gattis as OC part. What is the issue with Gattis the WR coach and these kids? He was successful as a WR coach at Vanderbilt. He was successful as a WR coach at Bama, though for only one year. As others have said, these kids were all 4 star recruits that showed promise. Even accounting for a new, more complex scheme, where is the breakdown in Gattis as a teacher/WR coach and these kids?

💯 People want to talk about tempo and being aggressive, but playing from behind early in a hostile environment that these kids have never seen isn’t the time for tempo and can snowball quickly into a large deficit.

We talk about how well our defense played but give no credit to the offense for time of possession and keeping them off the field. That has a huge effect on the psyche of the opposing offense and effort level of our defense.

Special teams in particular punt return was horrendous. How many times did we start drives inside our own 10? Credit to the OL and running game for sustaining drives with ****** field position all night
I understand what you are saying, but do you not agree that Mario was overly conservative? I haven;t looked yet, but I have to think the analytics said to go for it on 4th down several times where he chose to kick a FG. That is math telling you to go for it.

Running 3 straight times on the goal line in the 4th, in a low scoring game? One of those runs was TVD (lol) of a BOOTLEG (LOL).

There is a difference between trying to put your team in position to steal an SEC road game in the 4th quarter, and playing too conservative. We DID put ourselves in position to steal it, then played to conservative to win.

The problem you are overlooking and I think what a lot of this gets to on a macro level is running this type of offense shrinks your margin of error. So 7 points gifted to them on the fumble is suddenly a much more difficult setback to overcome. You are not wrong - players need to make all of those plays, but the coaches need to do more to put them in more positions to make more plays where those mistakes are not as heavily emphasized.

Ok trade gattis out for Lashlee. How many times did we go tempo on opening drive and go 3 and out? Shoot, just in general how many times did we go 3 and out with lashlee? He had no run game, went tempo, and before you knew it our defense was back on the field playing gassed.

With how bad our WRs are this year this game would have been a blowout with lashlee

Advertisement
We got up to the line and did the hard count every single play. A&M didn’t jump a single time. Then did check with me and drug the play clock down.

We could have really caught them off guard snapping it quickly a few times and probably could have pulled them offsides a few times after that and get a free play and maybe luck up and catch one downfield.

Didn’t even try.
They jumped and we got a first down in a critical time.

@DMoney great point about going no huddle then standing there for 30-35 seconds. What’s the point? It had no purpose , **** they‘re getting a break while we take our half minute to check with me and make the audible. I’ve seen the offense no huddle and have to hurry to beat the play clock lol. Wtf am I watching ?

Rambo didn’t need to be schemed open he was good enough to create separation. Which goes back to my original point
Bro Rambo had to make a play on the ball many times last year and did because the ball was thrown in a place where he could make a play on it.

Key got one on one separation twice where a well placed ball would’ve been a huge gain but the ball placement wasn’t there.

Rambo is better than Key and maybe key wouldn’t have made the plays if he’d gotten the chance, but he got the separation necessary to have the ball thrown his way and give him a shot and the ball didn’t arrive

This is enos all over again. Don’t see anything drastic changing this season. The run game will get us to 8-9 wins. What’s it going to take for Mario to change his offensive approach? He was at Oregon for 5 years and brought out this same slow offense. Can’t even say wait till OL gets better this OL is good! Also what does ponce do? Whenever they showed TVD on the bench he was always talking to Garcia. Lashlee was around TVD all the time last year.

Advertisement
Forgetting the Gattis as OC part. What is the issue with Gattis the WR coach and these kids? He was successful as a WR coach at Vanderbilt. He was successful as a WR coach at Bama, though for only one year. As others have said, these kids were all 4 star recruits that showed promise. Even accounting for a new, more complex scheme, where is the breakdown in Gattis as a teacher/WR coach and these kids?
Gattis can develop receivers. He did the same at penn state and he developed Chris godwin

I understand what you are saying, but do you not agree that Mario was overly conservative? I haven;t looked yet, but I have to think the analytics said to go for it on 4th down several times where he chose to kick a FG. That is math telling you to go for it.

Running 3 straight times on the goal line in the 4th, in a low scoring game? One of those runs was TVD (lol) of a BOOTLEG (LOL).

There is a difference between trying to put your team in position to steal an SEC road game in the 4th quarter, and playing too conservative. We DID put ourselves in position to steal it, then played to conservative to win.

I do think he was too conservative, absolutely. Playing for optics and not the W. It’s a tough stance to take, we just don’t have the horses to be aggressive without it potentially backfiring on us in a big way. We went down quick in a hostile environment.

The red zone offense is definitely in area that gattis flat out sucked in and probably cost us the game. That’s very correctable though. I thought the rest of the game plan was pretty good considering it’s a new offense with no game changing skill players

Kids have been told about what we’ve seen from rival schools. I’ve mentioned they’re negative recruiting our HC and OC’s pasts. Norvell is like “just talk to Pitman” and leave it at that.

I’m sure the coaches are now texting “told ya so, good luck there“.
That's already happening, more than we think...

Advertisement
People act like we’re running out a bunch of two star wr’s from the Dakotas out there. We all agree thats not a Miami caliber Wr room but there’s a bunch of Oc’s that could do a lot more with that group
Every week I see teams full of 3 star receivers light up scoreboards.

We have five 4* receivers. All but one were rated .91 or higher by 247

Everyone else does more with less but apparently Miami needs 5 Megatrons for their offense to work.

Gattis simply has to make his passing scheme more qb friendly. Getting TVD in rhythm should be a priority against MT. Yes wr’s need to play better but expecting them to ball out without reps is crazy. They spent two game using 5 as an decoy for X underneath routes. Also using ace personnel without involving te’s in the pass game is crazy.

Bro Rambo had to make a play on the ball many times last year and did because the ball was thrown in a place where he could make a play on it.

Key got one on one separation twice where a well placed ball would’ve been a huge gain but the ball placement wasn’t there.

Rambo is better than Key and maybe key wouldn’t have made the plays if he’d gotten the chance, but he got the separation necessary to have the ball thrown his way and give him a shot and the ball didn’t arrive

I agree the throws were bad, but I disagree he got adequate separation. Would have really needed to put it in a bucket.

Harley had a ton off of scheme. Also Rambo got those one on ones because the defenses was spread thin. They had more field to defend. Gattis stays inside the hashes which is fish in a barrel.
This is where it gets interesting. He witnessed first hand that he needs to spread his offense out.

So the question becomes, will he change his offense to fit his players? Or does he believe that his players just need to perfect his offense in its current form?

Advertisement
Back