Tired of making the same post

View as article
Bubble. The melo screen is more of a swing screen but it's the same concept.
Melo had two tough WR screen plays. Besides his own catch that didn't go anywhere, he f'in WHIFFED on a block that might have sprung BSmith. I've been advocating for more Melo opportunities, but I'm sure that type of play ****es off Gattis.

Advertisement
I didn't consider it until you said it, but I think draws would have been open all night.

As for screens, their DBs were too physical for our WRs. Our WRs couldn't block them on the outside all night. That is an area where we could have used Harley and a few other guys from years past. Our guys are SOFT on the outside.
Three man fronts and no draws is mind blowing. They had their cake and ate it defensively.

Yes. Gattis needs to keep everything the same in the running game & simplify the outside with quicker tempo. If he does so this team will be a very tough out. If he doesn’t will be in a dog fight weekly.
My hope is that this slow game plan was opponent specific. But games 1 & 2 didn't exactly inspire confidence.

Another thing is I think losing Chaney and Citizen probably contributed to tempo. A team like aTm is physical. Idk how many times you want to run little Parrish and Knighton right at them.

Disagree this game was lost on Special Teams and Key Drops/not finishing plays they were there to be made.. We moved the ball up and down the field especially in the first half and came away with 3 points because of all of the above.. With all that being said we still had a chance at the end and still dropped the ball.. Any other Miami team in the past 15 years would have been blown out in this game

Gone are the days of Toretta and Copeland or Dorsey and Shockey, driving down the last possession, knowing we were going to score and win...

Advertisement
People act like we’re running out a bunch of two star wr’s from the Dakotas out there. We all agree thats not a Miami caliber Wr room but there’s a bunch of Oc’s that could do a lot more with that group.
Ok last year with Lashlee offense, Rambo, how of his catches were scheme open? And how many was him just making a play? 50/50? 45/55?

There were catches Rambo made that nothing to with scheme. He just went got it.

While I agree Gattis can scheme it up better, but sometimes a receiver has make a play we the DB drapped on him.

I'm usually more positive a few days after a loss but this game is the exact opposite and i feel worse the more i reflect. I think i was excited Miami didn't completely get blown out like they usually do in these games, my expectations are apparently quite low.

But these coaches are making crazy money and we have a great QB. Gattis was fools gold, it was rumored the turnaround at Michigan wasn't his doing and it's pretty evident that's true or he wouldn't be here to begin with. I don't want to be pessimistic but i don't expect him to adjust much to TVDs strengths because he didn't do that at Michigan and he already would've done that prior to A&M if he was going to do it here. We all know coaches say they adapt to players but very few really do. I did love the running game and he did scheme a few good passing plays but overall the passing game was very bad. A&M played the same type of defense the whole game and Gattis didn't do much to throw them off balance. The plays took forever to develop. (it's actually crazy they didn't get any sacks, o-line is way ahead of schedule imo). Gattis needs to do RPO and some other concepts from Lashlee that the team already knows, it would make a dramatic impact imo.

The other scary part is that although A&M is really talented, they're a pretty bad team overall. However, I think their d is probably quite good so it was very encouraging to see the o-line play the way it did. That was the biggest positive.

I think we have to all hope that Miami wins enough games to bring in a good class, hope to God the offensive philosophy doesn't scare off who's already in the class, and pray we sign some outside impact receivers both from high school and definitely from the portal. If we're going to use this style of offense, we basically have to out-talent the other team across the board.

TAMU will lose at least 3 if not 4 more games... they are a boderline average SEC team

Last edited:
9 points in 2022? Are you kidding me? 9 points isn’t on the offense ? AM closed up shop in the fourth because they knew we couldn’t score. Jimbo folded the play sheet up at 17-3 and was already thinking about his Sunday hair plug treatment. He went very conservative especially in the fourth. We’ve got to stop with all the what if’s. 1. They’re useless and mean nothing. 2. Nobody anywhere cares or wants to hear it. It’s an excuse, the score is all people see or care about. On top of that they had their freaking 4th and 5th string guys out there and Gattis did nothing. That’s all I’ve heard from friends and clients. “**** I though y’all had them after the two starters got kicked out and with all the other db’s out “.

For the 21st straight year, people think we could have just play-called our way into the end zone with all of that "talent".

WR recruits around the country watching the Gattis offense
2X02.gif

Advertisement
have written it maybe 100x since last season: my biggest hope was that he’d get ‘bouncier’ in the pocket and extend plays. The weird thing is I’ve already seen him do that sometimes. He actually looks lighter on his feet sometimes, but less decisive. Basically, just out of sync as a passing offense. Throw the ball 60x against MTSU. Treat it like a 7 on 7. The season starts October 8th.
We got a scrimmage and a bye to improve on this.

Gattis’s deep play shots like you said are those long developing clear out routes and although the OL is holding longer, they take a long fcking time to develop and they are more complicated reads

There are openings but the windows are small and when the defenders are trying to get to the QB you don’t have all day

We tried a quick throw down the sidelines on the opening drive to key smith. Absolutely no separation… we did it again later in the game… no separation…

And then we yell at gattis for not scheming them open, and then when he does we complain that it’s too slow developing

You can run the same running plays and blocking schemes from a more spread out formation (spacing for the WR).

This is something that Oklahomo and now USC do extremely well.

I’m not sure why Gattis can’t do this.

i’ve argued this all offseason. Maybe they have ‘off the field’ issues or maybe they’re not the group of WRs Gattis had at Bama. Fine. But, now everyone is terrible? How? They can’t even flash what they flashed last season? To me, it tells me there’s more than one thing. But, it’s always easier for the mob to blame one thing.
Yea, there’s a desire for things to be Black and white here, when the actual answer is that there’s a lot of nuance to be discussed.

Advertisement
9 points in 2022? Are you kidding me? 9 points isn’t on the offense ? AM closed up shop in the fourth because they knew we couldn’t score. Jimbo folded the play sheet up at 17-3 and was already thinking about his Sunday hair plug treatment. He went very conservative especially in the fourth. We’ve got to stop with all the what if’s. 1. They’re useless and mean nothing. 2. Nobody anywhere cares or wants to hear it. It’s an excuse, the score is all people see or care about. On top of that they had their freaking 4th and 5th string guys out there and Gattis did nothing. That’s all I’ve heard from friends and clients. “**** I though y’all had them after the two starters got kicked out and with all the other db’s out “.
Dude I agree you on that lol. Gattis deserve criticism for his RZ offense. All I am saying they were other factors I think had way more impact that lead to our demise. Agreed to disagree.

Three man fronts and no draws is mind blowing. They had their cake and ate it defensively.
I have to rewatch still, but it looked like 3 man fronts with 2-seep safeties that weren't playing all that deep (because we didn't threaten them vertically at all).

The shallow nature of their zone coverage kept everything in front of them, so those slow-developing crossers underneath were there once in a while (a few converted, a few dropped), but they were never going to be explosive vs a team like aTm. Not when our WRs don't have the speed you need to get the edge on plays like that.

A few draws, a few more comeback/hitch routes to the outside guys, and PLEASE a few vertical shots - even if they don't connect, to give TVD some space to throw underneath. TVD was off, but there wasn't much space to work.

The other scary part is that although A&M is really talented, they're a pretty bad team overall. However, I think their d is probably quite good so it was very encouraging to see the o-line play the way it did. That was the biggest positive.
They look to me like a 7 or 8 win team. I think they'll likely win a game or 2 that will surprise everyone but also lose another game or two that will surprise everyone.

Advertisement
Ok last year with Lashlee offense, Rambo, how of his catches were scheme open? And how many was him just making a play? 50/50? 45/55?

There were catches Rambo made that nothing to with scheme. He just went got it.

While I agree Gattis can scheme it up better, but sometimes a receiver has make a play we the DB drapped on him.
Harley had a ton off of scheme. Also Rambo got those one on ones because the defenses was spread thin. They had more field to defend. Gattis stays inside the hashes which is fish in a barrel.

We tried a quick throw down the sidelines on the opening drive to key smith. Absolutely no separation… we did it again later in the game… no separation…

And then we yell at gattis for not scheming them open, and then when he does we complain that it’s too slow developing
There was separation with Key idk what you’re talking about. You need to put the ball in a place where the receiver can make a play

As much as the offense wasnt razzle dazzle. They move the ball quite well against TAMU. Cutting through all the bull****, two things cost us this game: Special Teams and No game breakers at WR.

Y'all act like TAMU drop 40 on us, we lost by 8 to a team that has 3x the talent we depth wise.

Stevenson muffed punt cost us points but on the coach?

Brinson getting tackle by his shoelace cost us points but that's on coach?

Borregales miss a FG he normally makes but that's on the coach?

Borregales has his FG block, no points but that's on the coach?

The coaches put their *** in position to make a play, when is the player going to step up make play?
The problem you are overlooking and I think what a lot of this gets to on a macro level is running this type of offense shrinks your margin of error. So 7 points gifted to them on the fumble is suddenly a much more difficult setback to overcome. You are not wrong - players need to make all of those plays, but the coaches need to do more to put them in more positions to make more plays where those mistakes are not as heavily emphasized.

Advertisement
Back