Tired of making the same post

View as article
I hate to react like this but it was just bad. The amount of screenshots I’ve had sent to me with comments about TVD and other players is just crazy. There’s actual people wanting Tvd benched. That’s how bat **** crazy this fan base is. Just like “ the offense will be better without X”. Well how’d that workout ? I bet they wish he was there to return punts.
I dont think x the automatic savior at punt returner either, he’s risky back there too lol.

But for me bottom line, new offensive system or not tvd got to step it up. He hasn’t played well all year and that’s extremely fair to say. Players with his talent level that are good to great should elevate those around him and he’s not doing that right now. And imo it was inexcusable given how well the running game was going how the oline kept him upright on most plays

Advertisement
Moving the ball and eating up huge chunks of time then scoring 9 points is counter productive.
I am not disagreeing with that premise. Gattis deserves criticism on RZ offense. Absolutely. But to make the argument that we lost the game because of the offense. You lose me there.

Stevenson punt was possibly the most costy error. You go from the potential going up by 10 to down by 4

My question is - who was TVD checking with? Gattis is sat in the booth upstairs, no?

Is this a serious question? Gattis relays to assistants and/or bench players on the sidelines who signal the call.

No offense but half this fan base knows nothing about offense. Yes gattis has a lot to prove and fix if he wants to stay here but there were a lot of positives..yet all our fan base considers in an offense is how many times we no huddle and throw it deep. There’s also some serious revisionist history with Lashlee considering how terribly bad he was at times.

This fan base is seriously stupid as **** sometimes. Half of you don’t even know the basics of offense and want to breakdown our scheme and game plan and then call for Gattis head in game 1 against a P5 opponent.

Advertisement
We got up to the line and did the hard count every single play. A&M didn’t jump a single time. Then did check with me and drug the play clock down.

We could have really caught them off guard snapping it quickly a few times and probably could have pulled them offsides a few times after that and get a free play and maybe luck up and catch one downfield.

Didn’t even try.
I believe the jumped twice.

I hate to react like this but it was just bad. The amount of screenshots I’ve had sent to me with comments about TVD and other players is just crazy. There’s actual people wanting Tvd benched. That’s how bat **** crazy this fan base is. Just like “ the offense will be better without X”. Well how’d that workout ? I bet they wish he was there to return punts.
How many times did we throw to the middle of the field on a quick slant? Key smith burnt Pitt last year on a slugo

Route concepts were horrible and predictable. So of course they were blanketed. This isn’t a great receiving core but there’s worse guys putting up numbers because their OC actually helps them. Btw who coaches the wr’s here ? Hmmmm.
they took forever to develop as well, which I did notice. Dont know if its his scheme or that the receivers need that long to create space. But fair play Ill take the L lol

LT was showing out all night. He is a superstar in the making. He just looks the part.

Harvey was getting stuffed on the edge all night. He is not the quality of the edge defender we have seen at UM in recent years.

Flagg is always in the right spot and is a solid contributor. I don't get the hate.

On the offense, Gattis had a quote about "getting speed in space" or whatever. Seems like his idea of "space" is different than what I would like - the 2022 version of spreading the field horizontally and vertically.

Seems to me Gattis' idea of "space" is clearout patterns with crossing patterns underneath them, where you ideally hit the WR in stride and give him room to run. The Mallory play and the play where TVD missed Redding come to mind.

TVD threw the sideline go routes over the shoulder so well last year. Did he even do that at all? There was the play that I think Key Smith dove down the right sideline and it was overthrown a hair, and another when George got alligator arms, but I don't think his feet were set for either of them. It is just strange to me that you have all this film of him doing stuff that has scouts calling him a R1 pick, then you don't allow him to do what he is good at.

You can tell he wasn't in a rhythm. The throw he missed to Redding near midfield in the 4th was a huge miss.

Overall, while I am a bit concerned about the offense and Mario's vision going forward, he did exactly what I predicted he would do before the game. There was a thread saying we can't win the same way App did. I predicted he would try to do exactly that. Shorten the game, play conservatively, and give yourself a chance to win in the 4th on the road in a tough SEC road environment. I get why people want it opened up more, and I do too, but if we convert a few more plays and we steal that game.

Non-conference game, early in the season. The sky isn't falling.

Advertisement
Disagree this game was lost on Special Teams and Key Drops/not finishing plays they were there to be made.. We moved the ball up and down the field especially in the first half and came away with 3 points because of all of the above.. With all that being said we still had a chance at the end and still dropped the ball.. Any other Miami team in the past 15 years would have been blown out in this game

I know that this is the offense style that Cristobal prefers (Gattis is a disciple of Cristobals Oregon OC Joe Moorehead) but if the offseason rumors were true, Gattis wasn't Cristobals 1st, or even 2nd or 3rd choice. So I'll try to lighten the mood and consider the possibility that Mario was willing to adapt but ended up having to settle on Gattis. I recall hearing that Toledo HC Jason Candle was Mario's first choice and offer. Candle is a high octane spread offense guy. Candle decided to stay at Toledo (bummer, would have been fun to see) . I believe the 2nd choice was Kendall Briles, but he chose to remain at Arkansas. Not sure if Briles was ever offered though. Then there was some interest in Dorsey and Brady, but they were longshots since they both seemed to want to stay in the NFL. So Mario settled on Gattis, who ran a system that Mario knew well. Would be interesting to hear from insiders how close we were to a different OC.
Lol I’m injecting this copium/hopium into my veins rn

I agree we need a better pass attack and if Gattis is the WR coach and OC blame for the WRs and QB being off timing and concepts being too late to develop falls on him.

I think Mario will always want a dominate OL that can run like Bama and Georgia, but I think he will hopefully also see Mario hired Kiffin and started to jump on the new offensive schemes that let guys make quick reads and put the ball in playmakers hands and let them make plays.

If Gattis isn’t the guy which it doesn’t look like he isn’t from what we’ve seen so far, we can figure it out next year.

Watching these games is going to continue to give me a lot of heart burn lol

I’m happy to see improvements on D and in the running game. It is fun to watch us dominate mofos and run at will we just need to finish in the red zone every time instead of fcking around once we get inside the 20. if we run the ball down the throats of the bums in the ACC I’ll be happy with wins

With that said, Gattis wants a HCing job next year. He wants to figure this shlt out as much as we want him to. Let’s see what he can do

Disagree this game was lost on Special Teams and Key Drops/not finishing plays they were there to be made.. We moved the ball up and down the field especially in the first half and came away with 3 points because of all of the above.. With all that being said we still had a chance at the end and still dropped the ball.. Any other Miami team in the past 15 years would have been blown out in this game

💯 People want to talk about tempo and being aggressive, but playing from behind early in a hostile environment that these kids have never seen isn’t the time for tempo and can snowball quickly into a large deficit.

We talk about how well our defense played but give no credit to the offense for time of possession and keeping them off the field. That has a huge effect on the psyche of the opposing offense and effort level of our defense.

Special teams in particular punt return was horrendous. How many times did we start drives inside our own 10? Credit to the OL and running game for sustaining drives with ****** field position all night

Last edited:
Advertisement
I am not disagreeing with that premise. Gattis deserves criticism on RZ offense. Absolutely. But to make the argument that we lost the game because of the offense. You lose me there.

Stevenson punt was possibly the most costy error. You go from the potential going up by 10 to down by 4
9 points in 2022? Are you kidding me? 9 points isn’t on the offense ? AM closed up shop in the fourth because they knew we couldn’t score. Jimbo folded the play sheet up at 17-3 and was already thinking about his Sunday hair plug treatment. He went very conservative especially in the fourth. We’ve got to stop with all the what if’s. 1. They’re useless and mean nothing. 2. Nobody anywhere cares or wants to hear it. It’s an excuse, the score is all people see or care about. On top of that they had their freaking 4th and 5th string guys out there and Gattis did nothing. That’s all I’ve heard from friends and clients. “**** I though y’all had them after the two starters got kicked out and with all the other db’s out “.

Did we? The Keyshawn 1 on 1 was. Other than that?

I personally would like to see some deep shots. Need some cheap points. Cannot expect the offense to grind out 14 plays 75 yards each drive.
If we are talking about straight 9 routes, maybe. But we had more than one shot down field.

I'm usually more positive a few days after a loss but this game is the exact opposite and i feel worse the more i reflect. I think i was excited Miami didn't completely get blown out like they usually do in these games, my expectations are apparently quite low.

But these coaches are making crazy money and we have a great QB. Gattis was fools gold, it was rumored the turnaround at Michigan wasn't his doing and it's pretty evident that's true or he wouldn't be here to begin with. I don't want to be pessimistic but i don't expect him to adjust much to TVDs strengths because he didn't do that at Michigan and he already would've done that prior to A&M if he was going to do it here. We all know coaches say they adapt to players but very few really do. I did love the running game and he did scheme a few good passing plays but overall the passing game was very bad. A&M played the same type of defense the whole game and Gattis didn't do much to throw them off balance. The plays took forever to develop. (it's actually crazy they didn't get any sacks, o-line is way ahead of schedule imo). Gattis needs to do RPO and some other concepts from Lashlee that the team already knows, it would make a dramatic impact imo.

The other scary part is that although A&M is really talented, they're a pretty bad team overall. However, I think their d is probably quite good so it was very encouraging to see the o-line play the way it did. That was the biggest positive.

I think we have to all hope that Miami wins enough games to bring in a good class, hope to God the offensive philosophy doesn't scare off who's already in the class, and pray we sign some outside impact receivers both from high school and definitely from the portal. If we're going to use this style of offense, we basically have to out-talent the other team across the board.

Advertisement
Because Thad Franklin is always the number 3 back when all our guys are healthy. Why? Haven't a clue. Guess for the 1 in 7 chance Rooster is able to run through a huge hole before getting tackled by the safety for an 8 yard gain is too much to pass up over Thad's tough running and ability to always squeeze out an extra 2 yards.
The drive that rooster ran in the red zone I would’ve preferred to see Thad. Besides that, I like getting Parrish and Rooster touches between the 20s over Thad.

I’ll take thad in third and short but to be honest I think Parrish runs forward and steals more yards away then look possible so even though he’s undersized he’s really good at that role

How many rb draws did we see? Screens ? Bubbles ? They were giving decent cushions during the game. Lashlee stole yards with the throws or bubbles when there was cushion. Saturday had the creativity of a wet fart.
I didn't consider it until you said it, but I think draws would have been open all night.

As for screens, their DBs were too physical for our WRs. Our WRs couldn't block them on the outside all night. That is an area where we could have used Harley and a few other guys from years past. Our guys are SOFT on the outside.

LT was showing out all night. He is a superstar in the making. He just looks the part.

Harvey was getting stuffed on the edge all night. He is not the quality of the edge defender we have seen at UM in recent years.

Flagg is always in the right spot and is a solid contributor. I don't get the hate.

On the offense, Gattis had a quote about "getting speed in space" or whatever. Seems like his idea of "space" is different than what I would like - the 2022 version of spreading the field horizontally and vertically.

Seems to me Gattis' idea of "space" is clearout patterns with crossing patterns underneath them, where you ideally hit the WR in stride and give him room to run. The Mallory play and the play where TVD missed Redding come to mind.

TVD threw the sideline go routes over the shoulder so well last year. Did he even do that at all? There was the play that I think Key Smith dove down the right sideline and it was overthrown a hair, and another when George got alligator arms, but I don't think his feet were set for either of them. It is just strange to me that you have all this film of him doing stuff that has scouts calling him a R1 pick, then you don't allow him to do what he is good at.

You can tell he wasn't in a rhythm. The throw he missed to Redding near midfield in the 4th was a huge miss.

Overall, while I am a bit concerned about the offense and Mario's vision going forward, he did exactly what I predicted he would do before the game. There was a thread saying we can't win the same way App did. I predicted he would try to do exactly that. Shorten the game, play conservatively, and give yourself a chance to win in the 4th on the road in a tough SEC road environment. I get why people want it opened up more, and I do too, but if we convert a few more plays and we steal that game.

Non-conference game, early in the season. The sky isn't falling.
Gattis’s deep play shots like you said are those long developing clear out routes and although the OL is holding longer, they take a long fcking time to develop and they are more complicated reads

There are openings but the windows are small and when the defenders are trying to get to the QB you don’t have all day

Well it’s a good thing we have a ton of high end commits… wait

Kids have been told about what we’ve seen from rival schools. I’ve mentioned they’re negative recruiting our HC and OC’s pasts. Norvell is like “just talk to Pitman” and leave it at that.

I’m sure the coaches are now texting “told ya so, good luck there“.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back