Tired of making the same post

View as article
Ok, I've read all the post-game analysis and obviously not throwing folks under the bus after 3 games . . . but Mr. Cribby has penned the most sensible and well thought out reaction to what we witnessed Saturday night. Felt like the staff did nothing as the game progressed to make it easier for a struggling offense. That's not Mario's forte, but it's the reason you have a well-paid OC and QB coach. No creativity or imagination to get WRs open or create easy throws for the QB against what was basically a secondary comprised of second teamers. Trying to string together 15-play scoring drives relies on near perfection, is a dicey and often a losing proposition. The lack or urgency and pace, especially on final drive, is absolutely insanity. The little drop off pass to Parrish, I believe, across the middle was icing on the cake. The LB was all over him & thankfully wasn't completed. Out of timeouts, may have gained 2-3 yards & would have come close to running the clock out. Again, that's on the coaching staff, not the players.
Here‘s the kicker , we ran the ball well!!! They respected our run , so you mean to tell me we couldn’t come up with anything better than what we saw? It’s not like we were one dimensional like against Clemson. When I say that was Enoslite Saturday I’m not over exaggerating. He at least had the excuse of majority Fr OL , a 285 pound Fr Zion at LT and a Fr Campbell at Rt. He also had the JW15 at qb with no run game. Gattis has all those guys 4 years later , coached by Mario / Mirabal and a big time Qb.

Advertisement
People defending Gattis and ripping players are clueless and have no idea what they’re watching. The route concepts , pacing , and formations do nothing for the qb’s or receivers. TVD is not comfortable in this offense, it does not play to his strengths. Any OC worth his salt would adjust to fit his scheme to the players , he’d also make adjustments to help the wr’s out. He’s known it’s been a weakness since spring. Air raid systems don’t have the greatest Ol and receivers but the scheme uses space to counteract the talent. Wider splits for the OL and using wr’s more to the hashes or outside the hashes. Which helps with getting open.

Gattis better take a long look at himself because Saturday was pathetic. Enoslite pathetic.
though I agree with some points, in obvious passing downs we were blanketed never had a guys running open, drops also screwed us. Sure it was boring but the running game was moving, imo the guys need to finish drives and actually catch the ball. The receivers do deserve some flak and so does Gattis specially in time management. We drained the clock but couldnt score. The saddest part is that we couldve potentially won the game with only field goals.

though I agree with some points, in obvious passing downs we were blanketed never had a guys running open, drops also screwed us. Sure it was boring but the running game was moving, imo the guys need to finish drives and actually catch the ball. The receivers do deserve some flak and so does Gattis specially in time management. We drained the clock but couldnt score. The saddest part is that we couldve potentially won the game with only field goals.
Route concepts were horrible and predictable. So of course they were blanketed. This isn’t a great receiving core but there’s worse guys putting up numbers because their OC actually helps them. Btw who coaches the wr’s here ? Hmmmm.

when youre down 17-3 it doesn't matter at that point. you needed two scores and you dont have any quick hitting plays or drives that can get you quick points. we run 15 play drives that chew clock so its gonna limit the amount of possessions left in the game. it was an absolute fail. also, stop w the throw to who nonsense. you have to give them a shot and outside of the drops, we aren't scheming anything to help either the QB or the WRs. the entire offensive scheme passing the ball is a disaster and its going to take a look in the mirror moment for the supposed elite OC (looking at his results at UMich he was anything but) to get us back on track. currently w this O, were losing 4-5 games.
Dude, Miami had the ball last and a chance to win the game on the road vs a team with more talent. For what we had to work with, Gattis did an amazing job. ST does their job, Miami walks out with a victory.

Advertisement
He didn’t lie. We have been balanced. We threw the ball more than we ran it. We took shots downfield and didn’t connect. But y’all continue to take these coaches at face value. He’s not going to change his entire ethos
Did we? The Keyshawn 1 on 1 was. Other than that?

I personally would like to see some deep shots. Need some cheap points. Cannot expect the offense to grind out 14 plays 75 yards each drive.

Here‘s the kicker , we ran the ball well!!! They respected our run , so you mean to tell me we couldn’t come up with anything better than what we saw? It’s not like we were one dimensional like against Clemson. When I say that was Enoslite Saturday I’m not over exaggerating. He at least had the excuse of majority Fr OL , a 285 pound Fr Zion at LT and a Fr Campbell at Rt. He also had the JW15 at qb with no run game. Gattis has all those guys 4 years later , coached by Mario / Mirabal and a big time Qb.
They were dropping 8 guys a Lot in coverage . To beat that tvd should have done more running wise instead of running like a player scared to get hit too because lanes was open for him to make a play and he hesitated far too often and wasn’t decisive

I didn't expect to win, and I am not upset.

I wish we had won, but we were playing a desperate talented team in their building in front of over 100K.

This was an absolute must win for Jimbo. Year 5 for him, game 3 for Mario. Jimbo had the better roster.

We made special team miscues that cost us the game. Miami looked better in a lot of areas than past years.
Bingo.

I used to get asked every Spring who the Canes NFL prospects were over on a Panthers board I frequent.

They learned to stop asking me a couple of years ago because the answer was always the same - "nobody you'd want".

This roster needs an overhaul. I had this game down as a loss and I'm happy that we competed rather than get blown out like we usually do in prime time.

This was the sense I got Saturday. Like, do we need Jaylen Waddle and Jerry Jeudy on the field to make the offense pop? Because that's asking a lot of even the best recruiters. I am crossing my fingers that there was some fluky stuff Saturday.

I know that this is the offense style that Cristobal prefers (Gattis is a disciple of Cristobals Oregon OC Joe Moorehead) but if the offseason rumors were true, Gattis wasn't Cristobals 1st, or even 2nd or 3rd choice. So I'll try to lighten the mood and consider the possibility that Mario was willing to adapt but ended up having to settle on Gattis. I recall hearing that Toledo HC Jason Candle was Mario's first choice and offer. Candle is a high octane spread offense guy. Candle decided to stay at Toledo (bummer, would have been fun to see) . I believe the 2nd choice was Kendall Briles, but he chose to remain at Arkansas. Not sure if Briles was ever offered though. Then there was some interest in Dorsey and Brady, but they were longshots since they both seemed to want to stay in the NFL. So Mario settled on Gattis, who ran a system that Mario knew well. Would be interesting to hear from insiders how close we were to a different OC.

Advertisement
They were dropping 8 guys a Lot in coverage . To beat that tvd should have done more running wise instead of running like a player scared to get hit too because lanes was open for him to make a play
How many rb draws did we see? Screens ? Bubbles ? They were giving decent cushions during the game. Lashlee stole yards with the throws or bubbles when there was cushion. Saturday had the creativity of a wet fart.

I was sitting right behind them. for most of the night, Thad WAS standing right next to SMith. cooney was also around. I didn't notice when he sat down.
I will say I wondered all night why they didn't put him in more on those late down, short yardage situations.
Because Thad Franklin is always the number 3 back when all our guys are healthy. Why? Haven't a clue. Guess for the 1 in 7 chance Rooster is able to run through a huge hole before getting tackled by the safety for an 8 yard gain is too much to pass up over Thad's tough running and ability to always squeeze out an extra 2 yards.

@DMoney thanks for the post. Pretty much my feelings exactly.
Where do you think we stand w/r/t actually signing the WR talent we know we need? To what degree is the current state of the offense schematically going to inhibit our ability to do that? Particularly if nothing changes and we’re struggling to score points against ACC defenses.

Advertisement
Play calling outside of the RedZone was not bad. We had opportunities to score and didn't. Drops that were talked about in camp showed up and TVD didn't make good reads on their defensive backs. We did run the ball well which is an improvement from last season but stats don't matter if you can't score. WR room is definitely not the most talented but serviceable. IF we can correct some mistakes and improve red zone play calling we could have a decent season. Go canes

Exactly. He gets paid to score points. He got the yips when we got close to the goal line. The QB sneak into a loaded box was asinine.

How about that wimpy assed slide to the left sidelines without being touched, 3 yds short on a crucial 3rd down???
The db just said "boo" and he slid instead of using his size to take him out???

Advertisement
Because Thad Franklin is always the number 3 back when all our guys are healthy. Why? Haven't a clue. Guess for the 1 in 7 chance Rooster is able to run through a huge hole before getting tackled by the safety for an 8 yard gain is too much to pass up over Thad's tough running and ability to always squeeze out an extra 2 yards.

The backs were not the problem. 21 and 4 ran hard and both played well. Thad wasn't making a difference in this game. Although I will say, running Rooster twice from inside the 10 is not the right way to do things.

How many rb draws did we see? Screens ? Bubbles ? They were giving decent cushions during the game. Lashlee stole yards with the throws or bubbles when there was cushion. Saturday had the creativity of a wet fart.
Yeah I was thinking that too during the game and calling for it

Route concepts were horrible and predictable. So of course they were blanketed. This isn’t a great receiving core but there’s worse guys putting up numbers because their OC actually helps them. Btw who coaches the wr’s here ? Hmmmm.
Yes. Gattis needs to keep everything the same in the running game & simplify the outside with quicker tempo. If he does so this team will be a very tough out. If he doesn’t will be in a dog fight weekly.

How about that wimpy assed slide to the left sidelines without being touched, 3 yds short on a crucial 3rd down???
The db just said "boo" and he slid instead of using his size to take him out???
Mind you he’s 6’4 235 doing that on a critical down multiple times like what?

Advertisement
Back