Tired of making the same post

View as article
He said it himself. He’s overstriding sometimes. Watch his lead foot. It’s less of an issue on quick or rhythm throws. I doubt it’s a physical issue because he’s made some incredible opposite hash throws, too. I doubt very much anyone is going to ever admit it, but the real issue seems to be in his brain right now: he sometimes looks hesitant to even take off on a scramble. That’s just one different thing than when he was lighting up ****** defenses last season. He didn’t look like that against Southern Miss.
Brian Billick has spoken extensively of how the Ravens used to try to scheme to move Manning's feet out of his "comfort zone" for throws. If you an alter things even a little bit, it can throw off a QBs rhythm.

Advertisement
Well hence my last post. It’s not gattis it’s Mario. And I’m sticking with Mario, sorry not sorry. Lol just gotta pray he has an epiphany one day. Funny enough it’s easier to play his brand of ball, WHEN YOU CAN THROW THE BALL
And when you have the dudes. If we are going to play this style, we have to win in February.

People defending Gattis and ripping players are clueless and have no idea what they’re watching. The route concepts , pacing , and formations do nothing for the qb’s or receivers. TVD is not comfortable in this offense, it does not play to his strengths. Any OC worth his salt would adjust to fit his scheme to the players , he’d also make adjustments to help the wr’s out. He’s known it’s been a weakness since spring. Air raid systems don’t have the greatest Ol and receivers but the scheme uses space to counteract the talent. Wider splits for the OL and using wr’s more to the hashes or outside the hashes. Which helps with getting open.

Gattis better take a long look at himself because Saturday was pathetic. Enoslite pathetic.
Ok, I've read all the post-game analysis and obviously not throwing folks under the bus after 3 games . . . but Mr. Cribby has penned the most sensible and well thought out reaction to what we witnessed Saturday night. Felt like the staff did nothing as the game progressed to make it easier for a struggling offense. That's not Mario's forte, but it's the reason you have a well-paid OC and QB coach. No creativity or imagination to get WRs open or create easy throws for the QB against what was basically a secondary comprised of second teamers. Trying to string together 15-play scoring drives relies on near perfection, is a dicey and often a losing proposition. The lack or urgency and pace, especially on final drive, is absolutely insanity. The little drop off pass to Parrish, I believe, across the middle was icing on the cake. The LB was all over him & thankfully wasn't completed. Out of timeouts, may have gained 2-3 yards & would have come close to running the clock out. Again, that's on the coaching staff, not the players.

Uninspired. That’s the feeling I had leaving Kyle Field. It’s not the right thing to say as the owner of a fan website, but it’s the truth. It was a boring game with a familiar result. Let’s get the obvious out of the way: it's early, this is a building process, and it's way too early to make any sweeping observation about the Cristobal Era. But this was a major missed opportunity to build momentum in recruiting and within the fanbase. Some specific thoughts:

- We paid too much money for nine points. Gattis is accountable for the end result, no matter how fluky (first team since at least 2000 to have 27 first downs and zero touchdowns). Our pace was puzzling to me. Is there a distinct advantage to going no huddle when we move so slowly?

- The game was lost when we ran three times in the red zone and kicked a field goal down 17-3. You can’t say you have the best QB in the country and then show a complete lack of faith in him.

- The past few years, and this weekend in particular, really hammered a point home: WR has become a Top 3 important position in football. Look at the Dolphins on Sunday. Maybe someone who charted the game can correct me, but I can’t remember a single contested catch in 41 passes. “NFL open” does not exist in our passing game. We have body catchers, not snatchers. We should not miss guys like Rambo (undrafted), Harley (undrafted) and Restrepo as much as we do. This is Miami. The whiffs in the Transfer Portal really showed up on Saturday.

- Upon rewatch, I’m not as down on TVD. He played bad, but his degree of difficulty was off the charts. I thought back to my first time watching him at Paradise Camp. I expected a big, mechanical QB who would drive the ball but struggle to create. Instead, I saw an instinctive athlete who changed speeds and arm angles and thrived with a fast tempo. It feels like we are trying to put him back in that box with the slow-developing plays.

TVD is tough and will hang in until the last second to make the throw, but he should have more quick-hitting options to get in rhythm. It reminds me of Kaaya under Richt. There was a regression (and four losses) followed by schematic adjustment to get the ball out of his hands quicker. Those changes were in response to poor OL play, which isn’t really our problem. But they got results. I hope we see similar adjustments before the losses pile up.

- Some of our recruiting victories over the SEC showed up on Saturday. Jalen Rivers was moving people and is a huge reason for our improved running game. Leonard Taylor brings special interior rush ability, which is the best way to disrupt a passing game. James Williams missed a key tackle on the Achane TD, but otherwise was everywhere as a versatile weapon. We need more like those guys.

- The running backs ran hard and finished above their weight class. I was disappointed we didn’t have anything special cooked up for Jaylan Knighton in the passing game. He is our most explosive player and we need everything we can get.

- Happy for DJ Ivey. His game elevates when he tackles with physicality. The more he plays with a confident edge, the more he will finish at the catch point with length and timing.

- In general, this game looked very much like what we saw on Greentree. Struggles with downfield passing game, improved OL, strong DL, elevated DB play. For all the talk about Greentree All-Americans, the players generally play like they practice.

- Jacolby George needs to lock in. He’s clearly the most talented pure WR, but when Joe Rose asked Mario about him this AM the first thing Mario talked about was off-field reliability. This is a huge opportunity for George and he needs to seize it.

- Kamren Kinchens is playing faster every game. His football IQ is as good as it gets, and he is really starting to trust his instincts and pull the trigger.

- I like the way the pass rush is trending. We are 5th in the nation in sack percentage and a lot of people are contributing. That rush will lead to wins in ACC play.

- The most encouraging long-term sign is the OL. We looked strong against an SEC team and Mario is recruiting behemoths. If Miami becomes an OL program, it will raise our floor.

Overall, the improvements in physicality were apparent but we gave away a winnable game. Muffed punts, drops, penalties, missed kicks. Before the season, I expected a year like Mario’s first at Oregon or Richt’s first at Miami. That’s still the projection. This offense and pace will lead to a lot of close games where anything can happen. Time for the coaches to earn their money and make the necessary adjustments.
Right over the target D$. Everything you said is spot on!

Advertisement
What WR would want to come play here or any kid on O minus the RB’s maybe, it’s slow and borrrrrring. Broyles award should have been awarded to Harbaugh lol

Well mario lied then. He said multiple times in the off-season his vision for the offense was to be balanced. To be able to run the football and get explosive plays downfield in the pass game
He didn’t lie. We have been balanced. We threw the ball more than we ran it. We took shots downfield and didn’t connect. But y’all continue to take these coaches at face value. He’s not going to change his entire ethos

"The game was lost when we ran three times in the red zone and kicked a field goal down 17-3. You can’t say you have the best QB in the country and then show a complete lack of faith in him".

"Maybe someone who charted the game can correct me, but I can’t remember a single contested catch in 41 passes. “NFL open” does not exist in our passing game. We have body catchers, not snatchers".

You can't be shocked when Gattis runs the ball inside the red zone and at the same time be highly critical of our WRs. So, you wanted Gattis to pass in the red zone. To who? Who was catching the ball? According to you, no one was going to catch the ball because the entire game, no one could make a contested catch.

The complaint against Gattis is that he ran TWO QB draws while in the red zone. That's the complaint.
This wasn’t just true for the red zone, it was on every drive. Either no separation or timing wasnt there. Some of us are complaining about not throwing “beyond the sticks”, to whom as you say. I agree. We’re gonna have some ugly losses this season, uglier than ATM. Pepper your steaks accordingly.

Advertisement
If Mallory had actually blocked his man on one of those TVD keepers it would’ve been an easy 10 and maybe more tbh
Why do we keep doing this, he cant block. When you need a block by the te put Arroyo there.

Last edited:
All valid, but two miscues also cost big offensively.

Parrish needs to catch that 3rd-and-9 ball that hits him in the mitts. With a full head of steam and one move, he scores a touchdown. Instead, Borregales sends it wide left.

Next possession, Miami gets to the the 12-yard line and an illegal man downfield sets up 1st-and-15 from the 17-yard line.

Questionable play calling followed—but it was three and-long plays prior to that and a killer penalty that set up the eventual blocked field goal.

Hitting on either of these drives is a 14-point swing and a 17-10 halftime score, instead of a 10-3 deficit—and one where things aren't under the microscope they are this morning.

Fact remains, even with a new staff this team still has the DNA and muscle memory of a squad that went 21-15 under Manny Diaz—waxed by Alabama (44-13), (Clemson (42-17) and North Carolina (62-24), dropping three in a row to FIU, Duke and Louisiana Tech, as well as last year's 7-5 run, losing some close games as well as out-toughed by Michigan State (38-17).

While we're all "tired" of these same articles and conversations—as well as taking the "L"—there were positives to take regarding the direction the program is moving, which was never the case over the past 15 years.

Receivers simply need to step up. The fact these guys couldn't get separation against aTm's third-string secondary—shows you how far Miami is from truly being "back".

Solid o-line and d-line play, while current 5-Stars serve as a reminder of what can be the minute this roster is loaded again—which is something we can all authentically trust that Mario will do in Coral Gables.

We got up to the line and did the hard count every single play. A&M didn’t jump a single time. Then did check with me and drug the play clock down.

We could have really caught them off guard snapping it quickly a few times and probably could have pulled them offsides a few times after that and get a free play and maybe luck up and catch one downfield.

Didn’t even try.
My question is - who was TVD checking with? Gattis is sat in the booth upstairs, no?

imagine how frustrated he must be when he's got seconds to unload the ball and receivers are either not open or running the wrong routes.... He presses sometimes and forces the ball. IMO, that's when he makes the errant throws.

It feels like it's time for one of those heart-to-heart talks between TVD and Gattis , similar to the one he had with lashlee last season. There's no reason why Gattis can't mix in some plays that focus on TVD's strengths along with his slow developing ones. Get him in a rhythm where he's good.
Totally agree. Gattis needs to adjust to account for TVD's (and other's) strengths.

Good coaches don't force a system on players but rather adjust accordingly.

Advertisement
Why the **** is TVD not getting his top 4 receivers and two tight ends together to go over routes on greentree? Total bull$hit.

Yeah which is why everything we’re doing is an overreaction.
I’m not saying I like this style, but it’s too early to freak out. Mario’s biggest strength is recruiting. It’s all on him to fill the roster with guys that embody what he wants. He’s the high floor guy…the ceiling will be year to year

Advertisement
He didn’t lie. We have been balanced. We threw the ball more than we ran it. We took shots downfield and didn’t connect. But y’all continue to take these coaches at face value. He’s not going to change his entire ethos
Not overnight, anyways. The cake isn’t even in the oven, it’s being mixed at this point. Good God, I’m making myself hungry with all these food analogies!

Brian Billick has spoken extensively of how the Ravens used to try to scheme to move Manning's feet out of his "comfort zone" for throws. If you an alter things even a little bit, it can throw off a QBs rhythm.
have written it maybe 100x since last season: my biggest hope was that he’d get ‘bouncier’ in the pocket and extend plays. The weird thing is I’ve already seen him do that sometimes. He actually looks lighter on his feet sometimes, but less decisive. Basically, just out of sync as a passing offense. Throw the ball 60x against MTSU. Treat it like a 7 on 7. The season starts October 8th.

It would even look better with guys like Rambo, Harley and Restrepo. That's the part that scares me. Those guys aren't great and there is a pretty sizable gap between them and what our current group has done in practice and games.

Great point and I said this in the game day thread

How are we seeing this huge of a drop off when almost all of the offense is back besides two undrafted WRs. And the OL is improved. And our star QB is more focused than ever

Huge red flag pointing right at Gattis and Mario for the slow and stupid offense and pace

Advertisement
Back