Tired of making the same post

View as article
That’s nice.

The offensive coordinator should already know what all the amateurs on here already know. Mallory is a receiver, not a blocker. Don’t set up the play to fail.
I could’ve told Gattis that three years ago lol. Did the guy even scout his own roster? I mean they didn’t hit the portal hard for receivers until after spring. Let’s just be real here.

Advertisement
Did you read the ESPN article on TVD...he didn't even have Keyshawn's cell # to text him about some extra reps......:)
Starting wide receiver and starting qb from the previous year. That’s insane to even think about like what?

i just think it’s more than that. We’ve had the convo a handful of times already. I think Gattis proved it himself (via flashes of plays on Saturday). On certain quicker throws and opportunities, we (the system, the QB, and the WR) looked crisp.

Did the players eff up some his well-designed calls? Sure. Did he fail to make things easier for his QB? Looks like it. Did TVD throw some crap balls? Looks like it.

Would all of it look better with superstar WRs who are both fast and understand how to read a defense? **** yes. But, that’s a **** of a requirement. We know what we have at WR and I think the passing game results are lower than they should be so far.

Here’s to making personnel and playcall adjustments. We don’t have to wait more than 5 days. We should be working on all this stuff against any opponent. When we averaged 5.5 yards/play against Southern Miss, I threw up a worry flag on a review thread. I’m 100% in for Gattis and crew to light that flag on fire.
This was the sense I got Saturday. Like, do we need Jaylen Waddle and Jerry Jeudy on the field to make the offense pop? Because that's asking a lot of even the best recruiters. I am crossing my fingers that there was some fluky stuff Saturday.

while i agree with this i will say our players certainly didnt help us out. we lost every phase of special teams. that was the biggest difference. it cost us a net swing of 17-21 points:

2 missed FG
muffed punt
not recovering the muffed punt
illegal formation on the punt downed at the 1

had we simply played half way decent on special teams we would have won a squeaker. probably something like 12-10 or 17-10. had it all gone our way we win 28 to 10 (unlikely). instead we **** the bed by punch drunking ourselves out of it.

Last edited:
Exactly. I waited to game three before I lost my ****. This was the same vanilla , prehistoric crap from the first two games. With a tad more Rpo and some trips. He‘s putting kids in positions to fail and the pace is gos awful. Lastly is boring as ***. It’s one thing to be boring and scoring 21-24 points , it’s another to be boring, terrible in the redzone and scoring 9 freaking points. There’s no defending this trash. On top of that throwing players under the bus to defend said crap is even worse.
So it begins… another *** clown stealing money in coral gables and defending his system while simultaneously throwing players under the bus.

Speed in space!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Advertisement
I think I'm in the minority here, but I really don't have a big problem with the scheme or Gattis' play calling. Where I have an issue is with his and Mario's decision-making inside the RZ. For the most part, we didn't have an issue moving the ball against A&M. For the first time in a while, against a good defense, we consistently sustained drives and kept our defense fresh. To me, the biggest issue we had was execution. Here's where we lost the game:
  • Tyrique's muffed punt. For the past decade and a half, every game like this that Miami has played has started off with a massive mistake/missed opportunity. The way our defense was playing, we probably hold A&M there, and it's a 3-3 game.
  • Dropped passes. Parish's was the most devastating of them, but all the WRs underperformed and missed some big plays. We should've had that pass to convert on 4th, a good WR catches that.
  • TVD. He was off all night. He missed some game-changing throws.
  • Mario chosing to go for the FG inside the ten instead of going for it. This was a bad call all around, and with how our D was playing, I don't know why he made it. He has a tendency to be conservative at times, but to win this type of game, we needed to take risks.
  • No luck. In many ways, football is a game of luck. To win in an environment like this, we needed a lucky bounce or two. We didn't get any, and we couldn't force a turnover. The closest we got was the muffed punt at the end, but A&M miraculously recovered it.
All in all, the scheme isn't the primary issue right now. Execution is. I understand the Parallel's people are making to Lashlee's offense. For TVD, at the moment, it looks like it was a better fit. But that was a feast or famine O that could not get the run game going. By stacking talent, I think that this scheme will work out for us long term. If we'd converted even half of our blow opportunities, we would have won. Gattis must learn from this and needs to do better in the RZ, but his playcalling put our guys in a position to convert and win this game. Also, we need to go more up-tempo. Overall, lack of execution and dumb mistakes lost us this game.
This is where I’m at with it completely agree. I can see If it was a 3 and out fest but no. We consistently moved the ball up and down the field until we got close to the end zone

I think this is where the WR Coach and OC (who are the same person) have to get w the WRs and QBs and figure out what gets them in the right spots. we dont make it easy on either position group out there. the WRs are weak but we aren't helping them either. there is nothing easy out there for anyone. nothing to even build confidence.
This is where Lashlee made his money for us last year. Figuring out how the scheme should fit the team. Enos was trying to shove the square peg in the round hole. We shall see what kind of OC Gattis is shortly (game after this).

2 questions, why didnt we play Skinner and what is wrong with TVD's arm, its not right. Oh and TVD should never run the ball, its painful to watch.
Glad I’m not the only one who noticed this. Even his routine throws are fluttering. Don’t know if it’s a straight up confidence issue or what but something is up.

As much as the offense wasnt razzle dazzle. They move the ball quite well against TAMU. Cutting through all the bull****, two things cost us this game: Special Teams and No game breakers at WR.

Y'all act like TAMU drop 40 on us, we lost by 8 to a team that has 3x the talent we depth wise.

Stevenson muffed punt cost us points but on the coach?

Brinson getting tackle by his shoelace cost us points but that's on coach?

Borregales miss a FG he normally makes but that's on the coach?

Borregales has his FG block, no points but that's on the coach?

The coaches put their *** in position to make a play, when is the player going to step up make play?
Moving the ball and eating up huge chunks of time then scoring 9 points is counter productive.

Advertisement
It would even look better with guys like Rambo, Harley and Restrepo. That's the part that scares me. Those guys aren't great and there is a pretty sizable gap between them and what our current group has done in practice and games.

Exactly. I said the same thing earlier in the thread. I'm not ready to throw dirt on graves just yet, but the drop-off from a practice squad player, a kid who didn't even make a practice squad, and an undersized slot receiver to what we have now is absolutely jarring. These kids shouldn't even be playing on Saturday's, never mind on Sunday. They had 2 starters and 2 rotational players out in the secondary essentially the entire game and we didn't even come close to breaking any explosive plays in the passing game. Absolutely inexcusable.

That being said, this shouldn't be a surprise to the staff. Gattis knows who he has. The kids aren't very good. So do something about it. Scheme up some quick throws, some screens, some misdirection throwbacks, some jetsweeps. They can't catch or get open, but at least some of them can run pretty fast. When you combine the lack of talent on the outside and the lack of creativity in playing to what strengths you do have, you put up 9 points in a college football game. The **** Gators have a Tight End playing QB who couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat and they scored 16 points against a really good Kentucky team. 9 points??? With an NFL QB?

Who was the most visibly uninspired player on Saturday night?

A player that didn't look uninspired, but I expect more from, is Al Blades. He seems to be showing hesitancy and lacking that aggression needed. Saw it the week before when he tried to basket catch an INT, and now this week, he should've taken the punt returner out when he fumbled the ball. That play would've been a scoop and score. He has been here too long to make those mistakes. It's still early, so there is time for him to get right.

Uninspired. That’s the feeling I had leaving Kyle Field. It’s not the right thing to say as the owner of a fan website, but it’s the truth. It was a boring game with a familiar result. Let’s get the obvious out of the way: it's early, this is a building process, and it's way too early to make any sweeping observation about the Cristobal Era. But this was a major missed opportunity to build momentum in recruiting and within the fanbase. Some specific thoughts:

- We paid too much money for nine points. Gattis is accountable for the end result, no matter how fluky (first team since at least 2000 to have 27 first downs and zero touchdowns). Our pace was puzzling to me. Is there a distinct advantage to going no huddle when we move so slowly?

- The game was lost when we ran three times in the red zone and kicked a field goal down 17-3. You can’t say you have the best QB in the country and then show a complete lack of faith in him.

- The past few years, and this weekend in particular, really hammered a point home: WR has become a Top 3 important position in football. Look at the Dolphins on Sunday. Maybe someone who charted the game can correct me, but I can’t remember a single contested catch in 41 passes. “NFL open” does not exist in our passing game. We have body catchers, not snatchers. We should not miss guys like Rambo (undrafted), Harley (undrafted) and Restrepo as much as we do. This is Miami. The whiffs in the Transfer Portal really showed up on Saturday.

- Upon rewatch, I’m not as down on TVD. He played bad, but his degree of difficulty was off the charts. I thought back to my first time watching him at Paradise Camp. I expected a big, mechanical QB who would drive the ball but struggle to create. Instead, I saw an instinctive athlete who changed speeds and arm angles and thrived with a fast tempo. It feels like we are trying to put him back in that box with the slow-developing plays.

TVD is tough and will hang in until the last second to make the throw, but he should have more quick-hitting options to get in rhythm. It reminds me of Kaaya under Richt. There was a regression (and four losses) followed by schematic adjustment to get the ball out of his hands quicker. Those changes were in response to poor OL play, which isn’t really our problem. But they got results. I hope we see similar adjustments before the losses pile up.

- Some of our recruiting victories over the SEC showed up on Saturday. Jalen Rivers was moving people and is a huge reason for our improved running game. Leonard Taylor brings special interior rush ability, which is the best way to disrupt a passing game. James Williams missed a key tackle on the Achane TD, but otherwise was everywhere as a versatile weapon. We need more like those guys.

- The running backs ran hard and finished above their weight class. I was disappointed we didn’t have anything special cooked up for Jaylan Knighton in the passing game. He is our most explosive player and we need everything we can get.

- Happy for DJ Ivey. His game elevates when he tackles with physicality. The more he plays with a confident edge, the more he will finish at the catch point with length and timing.

- In general, this game looked very much like what we saw on Greentree. Struggles with downfield passing game, improved OL, strong DL, elevated DB play. For all the talk about Greentree All-Americans, the players generally play like they practice.

- Jacolby George needs to lock in. He’s clearly the most talented pure WR, but when Joe Rose asked Mario about him this AM the first thing Mario talked about was off-field reliability. This is a huge opportunity for George and he needs to seize it.

- Kamren Kinchens is playing faster every game. His football IQ is as good as it gets, and he is really starting to trust his instincts and pull the trigger.

- I like the way the pass rush is trending. We are 5th in the nation in sack percentage and a lot of people are contributing. That rush will lead to wins in ACC play.

- The most encouraging long-term sign is the OL. We looked strong against an SEC team and Mario is recruiting behemoths. If Miami becomes an OL program, it will raise our floor.

Overall, the improvements in physicality were apparent but we gave away a winnable game. Muffed punts, drops, penalties, missed kicks. Before the season, I expected a year like Mario’s first at Oregon or Richt’s first at Miami. That’s still the projection. This offense and pace will lead to a lot of close games where anything can happen. Time for the coaches to earn their money and make the necessary adjustments.
There’s no quick fix at any price for what Mario came home too.

Advertisement
It would even look better with guys like Rambo, Harley and Restrepo. That's the part that scares me. Those guys aren't great and there is a pretty sizable gap between them and what our current group has done in practice and games.
Probably? Maybe? Does Rambo look better than Redding in this offense? Almost for sure. Does 2022 Rambo look like 2021 Rambo? Think that’s less likely. They’re being asked to do different things, so the only part we know for sure is he’s more likely to catch contested balls (he’s done it already). But, that’s why I’ve been telling you we need to see if George and Brinson can do that for us. George just started. Brinson may be slower than we’d like, but you saw him make some tough catches last year. He hasn’t gotten that chance yet. And, yea, I acknowledge you’ve repeatedly explained their issues have been off the field. While they’re on the field, though, let’s see what happens.

It's also worth mentioning that for all the hate on Diaz, he still did one thing that took balls- after one year he abandoned the pro style offense despite "pro style" being a defining feature of UM football. The immediate result was consecutive years of a top 25 offense. Mario's connection to the program is a good thing in most respects, but it also may mean that to him, the "UM way" is pro-style and that is non negotiable.

Frankly it's disturbing that 3 games into the Cristobal era I'm already hearing a lot of fans downplay the loss and saying " "Mario just needs time to change the culture." That "change the culture" excuse for bad performances makes me dry heave since I heard that same thing said to defend Randy Shannon, Al Golden, Mark Richt, and Manny Diaz.
Since I speak 2.5 languages, here's the translation of "change the culture:"

1) Assemble a deeper, more talented roster;
2) Repeat every year.

So it begins… another *** clown stealing money in coral gables and defending his system while simultaneously throwing players under the bus.

Speed in space!!! 🤣🤣🤣
Gattis was not at all impressive, but players do have to execute. They deserve some "blame", even if the coaches are ultimately responsible.

When you look as bad as we did on O, it's never just one thing, it's a combination. Gattis/Mario for not putting our players in the best situations to succeed and going full btich syle down the stretch, and the players for not executing when the plays were there.

Advertisement
I'm blown away at what Mario and Mirabel have been able to do at OL so quickly. It's a great argument against the "we don't have talent at X position" argument. Coach them up! We have plenty of raw talent at WR and TE to have a competent passing game!!!

This..

Gattis also seems to be struggling with recruiting top WRs

Losing out on Jean, Hykeem, Fowles, and in the portal

Glad I’m not the only one who noticed this. Even his routine throws are fluttering. Don’t know if it’s a straight up confidence issue or what but something is up.
He said it himself. He’s overstriding sometimes. Watch his lead foot. It’s less of an issue on quick or rhythm throws. I doubt it’s a physical issue because he’s made some incredible opposite hash throws, too. I doubt very much anyone is going to ever admit it, but the real issue seems to be in his brain right now: he sometimes looks hesitant to even take off on a scramble. That’s just one different thing than when he was lighting up ****** defenses last season. He didn’t look like that against Southern Miss.

Slow *** tempo on offense. Line up, clap your hands, stare at the sideline for the play, wait awhile, clap your hands again, and hike the ball.
Agree and would add ... several times walking up to the line of scrimmage and then walking back.... I was like hike the d-mn ball already!

Advertisement
Back