Tired of making the same post

View as article
People defending Gattis and ripping players are clueless and have no idea what they’re watching. The route concepts , pacing , and formations do nothing for the qb’s or receivers. TVD is not comfortable in this offense, it does not play to his strengths. Any OC worth his salt would adjust to fit his scheme to the players , he’d also make adjustments to help the wr’s out. He’s known it’s been a weakness since spring. Air raid systems don’t have the greatest Ol and receivers but the scheme uses space to counteract the talent. Wider splits for the OL and using wr’s more to the hashes or outside the hashes. Which helps with getting open.

Gattis better take a long look at himself because Saturday was pathetic. Enoslite pathetic.
I mean I wouldn’t bo so upset if gattis didn’t blatantly lie about adjusting his scheme to his players when he was hired lol

Advertisement
I cant Read 9 pages but hope someone can cut out some of this WR none sense and harp on the fact that we could have used the backs more in the passing attack out of the back field. We have capable pass catchers just didn’t scheme it up well. Big bodies like arroyo and Mallory too. We don’t have all the players we need but we didn’t even utilize what we have. My .2 prolly worth less than .1 tho lol

I won’t feel better cuz the number should be north of 300 on unc. And I know that defense is poor. You can feel how you feel though
It goes both ways. If the offense plays great against UNC, it doesn't mean everything is sunshine. I'm just not wild about making assessments of coaches after 3 games. (And believe me, I've been echoing concerns in various texts since Saturday but I realize I'm a fan and knee-jerk reactions are what we do. Hence, my inclination to wait until there's a sample size before making declarations one way or the other.)

Y’all are going to drive yourselves crazy. Say it with me: complimentary, high efficient offense is what Mario wants. He would probably tell you the only reason we were in that game was because we had 20 1st downs and held the ball so long. If we get one of those two FGs and convert one RZ possession into a tud, he’s absolutely vindicated in his mind. This is what Mario wants. Y’all can blame Gattis, TVD, WRs and whatever else until the end of time. Mario wants to control the ball, grind clock, and keep field position. This is who we are now
Well mario lied then. He said multiple times in the off-season his vision for the offense was to be balanced. To be able to run the football and get explosive plays downfield in the pass game

Advertisement
Btw, this is me giving my EReed "I'm ******* hurt dog" speech. Mario is BY FAR the best chance we have had since Butch Davis to right this ship. It breaks my heart to think it's going to fail because of this bum *** offense and identity. We are so close in so many areas I can freaking TASTE it. But we have a major obstacle here and it's obvious, NOW. Not two wasted years later after Mario's lost his luster.

I have seen more than enough to call it. I watch other teams play offense with half the talent. I know that when it looks like something is so, so difficult, there's more than just a talent issue. It's not that difficult!

Question for those in the know...Did Mario run this type of offense when he had Herbert at Oregon? I ask only hoping the answer was NO and there is hope:). He had Marcus Arroyo as OC then, who is now the head coach at UNLV -

As much as the offense wasnt razzle dazzle. They move the ball quite well against TAMU. Cutting through all the bull****, two things cost us this game: Special Teams and No game breakers at WR.

Y'all act like TAMU drop 40 on us, we lost by 8 to a team that has 3x the talent we depth wise.

Stevenson muffed punt cost us points but on the coach?

Brinson getting tackle by his shoelace cost us points but that's on coach?

Borregales miss a FG he normally makes but that's on the coach?

Borregales has his FG block, no points but that's on the coach?

The coaches put their *** in position to make a play, when is the player going to step up make play?

This, of course. We've gone through 100 head and assistant coaches over the last 20 years, while the one constant has been "highly rated south Florida talent". But no matter how many different coaching philosophies and backgrounds we go through, they all get the blame.

The confident fans had a right to be. All we heard before the game so much talent on defense, how would the oline hold up....As it turns out we beat them where we were supposed to lose, in the trenches. NOBODY could predict a 5th year senior gifting them a TD and botched field goals as the reason we would lose. And those fgs wouldnt have been needed if we stop calling zone reads with 9. Just throw 9 running the ball out the dam playbook, its horrible.
If Mallory had actually blocked his man on one of those TVD keepers it would’ve been an easy 10 and maybe more tbh

Advertisement
It goes both ways. If the offense plays great against UNC, it doesn't mean everything is sunshine. I'm just not wild about making assessments of coaches after 3 games. (And believe me, I've been echoing concerns in various texts since Saturday but I realize I'm a fan and knee-jerk reactions are what we do. Hence, my inclination to wait until there's a sample size before making declarations one way or the other.)
Fair

Can’t bother to go back and look, but somebody in here said TVD needs to go to Gattis and talk to him about what he needs to do to give him some quick throws so the offense can get in a rhythm.

If that’s the solution, then you hired the wrong overpaid OC.

To me, it boils down to one problem: our talented WRs don't do the right things off the field, and our hardest-working WRs have less talent.

The hope is that on-field success (like George had this week) will lead to more focus on the other stuff.
i just think it’s more than that. We’ve had the convo a handful of times already. I think Gattis proved it himself (via flashes of plays on Saturday). On certain quicker throws and opportunities, we (the system, the QB, and the WR) looked crisp.

Did the players eff up some his well-designed calls? Sure. Did he fail to make things easier for his QB? Looks like it. Did TVD throw some crap balls? Looks like it.

Would all of it look better with superstar WRs who are both fast and understand how to read a defense? **** yes. But, that’s a **** of a requirement. We know what we have at WR and I think the passing game results are lower than they should be so far.

Here’s to making personnel and playcall adjustments. We don’t have to wait more than 5 days. We should be working on all this stuff against any opponent. When we averaged 5.5 yards/play against Southern Miss, I threw up a worry flag on a review thread. I’m 100% in for Gattis and crew to light that flag on fire.

Advertisement
I mean I wouldn’t bo so upset if gattis didn’t blatantly lie about adjusting his scheme to his players when he was hired lol
Exactly. I waited to game three before I lost my ****. This was the same vanilla , prehistoric crap from the first two games. With a tad more Rpo and some trips. He‘s putting kids in positions to fail and the pace is gos awful. Lastly is boring as ***. It’s one thing to be boring and scoring 21-24 points , it’s another to be boring, terrible in the redzone and scoring 9 freaking points. There’s no defending this trash. On top of that throwing players under the bus to defend said crap is even worse.

I can understand the gattis criticism to a certain extent but when you have timing issues like the one tvd and Keyshawn had on that comeback route whom by the way is a receiver who started the previous year with the same qb and yeah that’s an issue. And it shouldn’t happen

Advertisement
Would all of it look better with superstar WRs who are both fast and understand how to read a defense? **** yes. But, that’s a **** of a requirement.
It would even look better with guys like Rambo, Harley and Restrepo. That's the part that scares me. Those guys aren't great and there is a pretty sizable gap between them and what our current group has done in practice and games.

I think I'm in the minority here, but I really don't have a big problem with the scheme or Gattis' play calling. Where I have an issue is with his and Mario's decision-making inside the RZ. For the most part, we didn't have an issue moving the ball against A&M. For the first time in a while, against a good defense, we consistently sustained drives and kept our defense fresh. To me, the biggest issue we had was execution. Here's where we lost the game:
  • Tyrique's muffed punt. For the past decade and a half, every game like this that Miami has played has started off with a massive mistake/missed opportunity. The way our defense was playing, we probably hold A&M there, and it's a 3-3 game.
  • Dropped passes. Parish's was the most devastating of them, but all the WRs underperformed and missed some big plays. We should've had that pass to convert on 4th, a good WR catches that.
  • TVD. He was off all night. He missed some game-changing throws.
  • Mario chosing to go for the FG inside the ten instead of going for it. This was a bad call all around, and with how our D was playing, I don't know why he made it. He has a tendency to be conservative at times, but to win this type of game, we needed to take risks.
  • No luck. In many ways, football is a game of luck. To win in an environment like this, we needed a lucky bounce or two. We didn't get any, and we couldn't force a turnover. The closest we got was the muffed punt at the end, but A&M miraculously recovered it.
All in all, the scheme isn't the primary issue right now. Execution is. I understand the Parallel's people are making to Lashlee's offense. For TVD, at the moment, it looks like it was a better fit. But that was a feast or famine O that could not get the run game going. By stacking talent, I think that this scheme will work out for us long term. If we'd converted even half of our blow opportunities, we would have won. Gattis must learn from this and needs to do better in the RZ, but his playcalling put our guys in a position to convert and win this game. Also, we need to go more up-tempo. Overall, lack of execution and dumb mistakes lost us this game.

I can understand the gattis criticism to a certain extent but when you have timing issues like the one tvd and Keyshawn had on that comeback route whom by the way is a receiver who started the previous year with the same qb and yeah that’s an issue.
Did you read the ESPN article on TVD...he didn't even have Keyshawn's cell # to text him about some extra reps......:)

Advertisement
Back