Tired of making the same post

View as article
Announcing Bill Murray GIF

Advertisement
Uninspired. That’s the feeling I had leaving Kyle Field. It’s not the right thing to say as the owner of a fan website, but it’s the truth. It was a boring game with a familiar result. Let’s get the obvious out of the way: it's early, this is a building process, and it's way too early to make any sweeping observation about the Cristobal Era. But this was a major missed opportunity to build momentum in recruiting and within the fanbase. Some specific thoughts:

- We paid too much money for nine points. Gattis is accountable for the end result, no matter how fluky (first team since at least 2000 to have 27 first downs and zero touchdowns). Our pace was puzzling to me. Is there a distinct advantage to going no huddle when we move so slowly?

- The game was lost when we ran three times in the red zone and kicked a field goal down 17-3. You can’t say you have the best QB in the country and then show a complete lack of faith in him.

- The past few years, and this weekend in particular, really hammered a point home: WR has become a Top 3 important position in football. Look at the Dolphins on Sunday. Maybe someone who charted the game can correct me, but I can’t remember a single contested catch in 41 passes. “NFL open” does not exist in our passing game. We have body catchers, not snatchers. We should not miss guys like Rambo (undrafted), Harley (undrafted) and Restrepo as much as we do. This is Miami. The whiffs in the Transfer Portal really showed up on Saturday.

- Upon rewatch, I’m not as down on TVD. He played bad, but his degree of difficulty was off the charts. I thought back to my first time watching him at Paradise Camp. I expected a big, mechanical QB who would drive the ball but struggle to create. Instead, I saw an instinctive athlete who changed speeds and arm angles and thrived with a fast tempo. It feels like we are trying to put him back in that box with the slow-developing plays.

TVD is tough and will hang in until the last second to make the throw, but he should have more quick-hitting options to get in rhythm. It reminds me of Kaaya under Richt. There was a regression (and four losses) followed by schematic adjustment to get the ball out of his hands quicker. Those changes were in response to poor OL play, which isn’t really our problem. But they got results. I hope we see similar adjustments before the losses pile up.

- Some of our recruiting victories over the SEC showed up on Saturday. Jalen Rivers was moving people and is a huge reason for our improved running game. Leonard Taylor brings special interior rush ability, which is the best way to disrupt a passing game. James Williams missed a key tackle on the Achane TD, but otherwise was everywhere as a versatile weapon. We need more like those guys.

- The running backs ran hard and finished above their weight class. I was disappointed we didn’t have anything special cooked up for Jaylan Knighton in the passing game. He is our most explosive player and we need everything we can get.

- Happy for DJ Ivey. His game elevates when he tackles with physicality. The more he plays with a confident edge, the more he will finish at the catch point with length and timing.

- In general, this game looked very much like what we saw on Greentree. Struggles with downfield passing game, improved OL, strong DL, elevated DB play. For all the talk about Greentree All-Americans, the players generally play like they practice.

- Jacolby George needs to lock in. He’s clearly the most talented pure WR, but when Joe Rose asked Mario about him this AM the first thing Mario talked about was off-field reliability. This is a huge opportunity for George and he needs to seize it.

- Kamren Kinchens is playing faster every game. His football IQ is as good as it gets, and he is really starting to trust his instincts and pull the trigger.

- I like the way the pass rush is trending. We are 5th in the nation in sack percentage and a lot of people are contributing. That rush will lead to wins in ACC play.

- The most encouraging long-term sign is the OL. We looked strong against an SEC team and Mario is recruiting behemoths. If Miami becomes an OL program, it will raise our floor.

Overall, the improvements in physicality were apparent but we gave away a winnable game. Muffed punts, drops, penalties, missed kicks. Before the season, I expected a year like Mario’s first at Oregon or Richt’s first at Miami. That’s still the projection. This offense and pace will lead to a lot of close games where anything can happen. Time for the coaches to earn their money and make the necessary adjustments.
Spot on. A game we gave away and clearly should have won. While I am a Cristobal supporter and think (hope) he can turn things around and will be here long term to lead us to more championships, I have believe if we had used the Lashlee up tempo offense, if we wouldn’t have won that game by at least 14 points. It is definitely time for the coaches to do what they tell the players to do, which is, watch the game tapes, make adjustments and learn from your mistakes, because there were plenty of mistakes Saturday night, not only by the players, but also the coaches, on offense that is.

Anyone noticing beyond the dline rotation that we are not rotating much at all in the back 7? Especially at the db group

Gattis knows this. He was turned on before the season even began. I hope he leaves after this season, no matter our results which I believe will be 10-2.
I had to a little bit of a deep dive into him. he was basically demoted to an extent his final year at Michigan after two poor seasons as OC. I know Michigan fans weren't hurt that he left and some even said, meh you'll see. he had the same quotes he gave us when he was first hired at Umich but none of it was seen. Harbaugh hired a CO-OC last year and harbuagh got more involved in the offense. it resulted in their first top 30 offense under gattis as OC. I bet we see a mutual parting of ways same as we saw w enos

Advertisement
Skinner is behind Mallory, Arroyo and Mamerelli. Mallory is one of those clogging players with tons of experience, covid year gonna have a bunch of those over next few years, Arroyo barely gets any looks and Mamerlli I guess because he can block..
split him out in the slot. We keep talking about separation, but the one player other than Rooster who we know can get it, we never played him. He can give you so much more than 83. Play your best players!

“The game was lost when we ran three times in the red zone and kicked a field goal down 17-3. You can’t say you have the best QB in the country and then show a complete lack of faith in him.”

Boom.
Agreed. You have to have 2-3 crosser or misdirection plays in your Rolodex to go to for this down/distance. Pretty weak to settle.

Spot on. A game we gave away and clearly should have won. While I am a Cristobal supporter and think (hope) he can turn things around and will be here long term to lead us to more championships, I have believe if we had used the Lashlee up tempo offense, if we wouldn’t have won that game by at least 14 points. It is definitely time for the coaches to do what they tell the players to do, which is, watch the game tapes, make adjustments and learn from your mistakes, because there were plenty of mistakes Saturday night, not only by the players, but also the coaches, on offense that is.
I dont think anyone is turning on Mario. I think Mario will get us to where we all want to be. hes a great CEO and program builder. I think its gonna take another OC and philosophy change to get there.

To answer your question, my imperfect notes contain one ‘tough’ or contested catch. A high throw from TVD to Key Smith with a defender on his back. To your point, that’s not enough.

Redding was either 0/3 or 0/4, depending on how you’re grading, for similar plays or drops. I presume his snap % (almost 75%) will decrease.

The Smith drop at the end really stands out, of course. He made a couple other decent catches and plays.

George had that weirdly designed (?) play where two WRs ended up next to each other and the Safety came over. Some have blamed him. Some have blamed TVD. Some have blamed Gattis’ design. Outside of that play, he had a decent showing for his 20-some snaps.

It’s unclear to me why we didn’t try Brinson in the RZ. He’s not fast enough for some things we’ve asked him to do. But, even last year as a true frosh, he made some contested catches. What happened?

We’ve got a triangle of contributing factors - Gattis’ approach, TVD’s discomfort, and the WRs. I’m less harsh on the WRs than most because we already knew they’re our weak link. We need the other factors to somehow pick them up.
Like your points. But the triangle starts with WRs. If we have the guys that can step up, it makes TVD comfortable and that likely changes Gattis’ approach. I am saddened that we are constantly trying to fill a gap for the last decade and a half. We didn’t have DTs forever, then we had the Willis years, then we were dry again. QB had been the issue leading into King transferring in and then the rise of TVD. CB has struggled mightily, but not this weekend. We actually looked good in the secondary. LB has been an issue since the big 3 left (or at least since Quarterman left). I hope that the glaring need will drive recruiting along with NIL. If we have 2 studs at WR, we are good to go. The fact that we couldn’t scheme you a TD is scary. We need to work on red zone big time.

Advertisement
Bingo. As soon as Jacolby took that play inside the 20 for the first down the playcalling changed 180° and we settled for 3

The other drive.. As soon as Jacolby took the screen inside the 10 and tripped over the kid that he baptized… the playcalling was trying to walk with 3 and not get 6.
we ran plays as if we were at the 3 yard line or shorter when we what needed 7 or 8?

I think both Gattis and TVD have zero confidence in the WR group. It was definitely evident in TVD taking check downs vs trusting his WRs to win battles with ball in the air.

Like your points. But the triangle starts with WRs. If we have the guys that can step up, it makes TVD comfortable and that likely changes Gattis’ approach. I am saddened that we are constantly trying to fill a gap for the last decade and a half. We didn’t have DTs forever, then we had the Willis years, then we were dry again. QB had been the issue leading into King transferring in and then the rise of TVD. CB has struggled mightily, but not this weekend. We actually looked good in the secondary. LB has been an issue since the big 3 left (or at least since Quarterman left). I hope that the glaring need will drive recruiting along with NIL. If we have 2 studs at WR, we are good to go. The fact that we couldn’t scheme you a TD is scary. We need to work on red zone big time.
I think this is where the WR Coach and OC (who are the same person) have to get w the WRs and QBs and figure out what gets them in the right spots. we dont make it easy on either position group out there. the WRs are weak but we aren't helping them either. there is nothing easy out there for anyone. nothing to even build confidence.

Advertisement
Really great game summary. Less LT subbing out and more LBs subbing in. Also, who else can return punts?

Too much to ask to run a simple screen? To a back or a TE? Something easy in the passing game to get some positive yards?

I think we ran 2 RPO/bubbles to slot receivers when we had trips to a side. One Ladson forgot to block and the other went for 25 yards to George. Other than that, was there a single ball thrown behind the LOS? And if not, it's truly insane because I don't think he completed more than 2 that were over 10 yards. So our entire passing game happens between the LOS and 10 yards downfield. Not exactly hard to defend that.

Advertisement
This. I saw a lot of confident cane fans pre game calling people soft who thought we would lose, but I knew we would lose lol

I was happy with the improvements we seem to have made under Cristobal though.

This is going to be a rebuild that takes time to click
The confident fans had a right to be. All we heard before the game so much talent on defense, how would the oline hold up....As it turns out we beat them where we were supposed to lose, in the trenches. NOBODY could predict a 5th year senior gifting them a TD and botched field goals as the reason we would lose. And those fgs wouldnt have been needed if we stop calling zone reads with 9. Just throw 9 running the ball out the dam playbook, its horrible.

Thank you for fairly criticizing Gattis, D.

Why do our fans have such bad memories and truly believe it’s all on execution? That argument can be made for any failure coordinator we’ve had. Players haven’t been executing since Pat Nix. Golden’s defense never executed - it was always the players fault that we couldn’t get pressure, got gashed for 500 yards routinely, couldn’t tackle. Rick’s offense never executed, similar to us now - we blamed everyone from Rosier to our WR - not his ancient 5-play playbook. Enos it was the same thing - posters clinged to him being a Bama coach and it was our dummy players yet again.

Gattis won’t survive here for long.

Advertisement
Back