Tired of making the same post

View as article
I wasn’t high on the gattis hire but I thought he called a good game besides RZ of course but if we dont f up 2 fgs we probably win.

Also I think the transition this offense is going thru from last year’s scheme is showing, I think it’ll click sooner than later but it’s gonna take time. Im not too worried but **** that win would’ve been great for recruiting

Advertisement
In regards to those run plays, App State ran them in those same exact situations w great success. I didn't mind the calls upon rewatch.

Gattis either needs to adjust and simplify the offense for TVD, or we gotta move on.

In the 2 biggest games of TVDs career, he's faltered in both, and both were against pretty lousy teams. Bad trend.

This was my main gripe with Saturday. Gattis seems to be in the camp of running the perfect play with the check with me stuff. It just takes way too long. Check with me is fine if you're still in a rhythm.

The 3 runs in the redzone are inexcusable. Pass interference is basically a strategy at this point with how slanted the rules are in the offense's favor. You have to throw atleast once there. I was fine with taking the points but you have to throw.

Advertisement
Can you explain TVDs high degree of difficulty that you mention. Just curious if you meant relative to last year or something else.

Advertisement
Absolutely the coaches need to start adjusting.

We quasi gave that game away, A n M did enough to win, but our mental errors cost us dearly. Also of course not having Restrepo was just a devastating blow.

That said all of our games are winnable on the schedule. Will we win them all? That is TBD.

Got to clean up the turnovers and badly timed holding calls, get some bounces and play much better in the red zone. I am very curious as to what this season holds. Should be interesting.

Been tryna hammer it home on the WR point on here for awhile, I saw it when OSU could have a bilitnekoff finalist sit bench and watch him walk because they were stockpiling WRs, made post about it years ago that OSU, Okla, LSU, Bama, Clemson were stockpiling WR at an incredible rate and something changed. Obviously they still take care of the lines but the emphasis of not just having one guy but multiple to attack teams was definitely a change.

And you better be able to ATTACK them with some type of advantage, Clemson used size but the game seem to have gone to SPEEEEED, you better be able to zooom to stress a defense, others also get mad when I mention track times but its not a coincidence after Gattis was around Ruggs 10.5 (4.25 forty), Waddle 10.6, Smith 10.6, Juedy 4.4 speeed, he seen how that track speed stress a defense and he said that was the next thing he looks for after football skills. Bama was down here snatching our top kids, now OSU seem to want to line them up, ugh..

I need to find that 247 article talking about this years ago

Uninspired. That’s the feeling I had leaving Kyle Field. It’s not the right thing to say as the owner of a fan website, but it’s the truth. It was a boring game with a familiar result. Let’s get the obvious out of the way: it's early, this is a building process, and it's way too early to make any sweeping observation about the Cristobal Era. But this was a major missed opportunity to build momentum in recruiting and within the fanbase. Some specific thoughts:

- We paid too much money for nine points. Gattis is accountable for the end result, no matter how fluky (first team since at least 2000 to have 27 first downs and zero touchdowns). Our pace was puzzling to me. Is there a distinct advantage to going no huddle when we move so slowly?

- The game was lost when we ran three times in the red zone and kicked a field goal down 17-3. You can’t say you have the best QB in the country and then show a complete lack of faith in him.

- The past few years, and this weekend in particular, really hammered a point home: WR has become a Top 3 important position in football. Look at the Dolphins on Sunday. Maybe someone who charted the game can correct me, but I can’t remember a single contested catch in 41 passes. “NFL open” does not exist in our passing game. We have body catchers, not snatchers. We should not miss guys like Rambo (undrafted), Harley (undrafted) and Restrepo as much as we do. This is Miami. The whiffs in the Transfer Portal really showed up on Saturday.

- Upon rewatch, I’m not as down on TVD. He played bad, but his degree of difficulty was off the charts. I thought back to my first time watching him at Paradise Camp. I expected a big, mechanical QB who would drive the ball but struggle to create. Instead, I saw an instinctive athlete who changed speeds and arm angles and thrived with a fast tempo. It feels like we are trying to put him back in that box with the slow-developing plays.

TVD is tough and will hang in until the last second to make the throw, but he should have more quick-hitting options to get in rhythm. It reminds me of Kaaya under Richt. There was a regression (and four losses) followed by schematic adjustment to get the ball out of his hands quicker. Those changes were in response to poor OL play, which isn’t really our problem. But they got results. I hope we see similar adjustments before the losses pile up.

- Some of our recruiting victories over the SEC showed up on Saturday. Jalen Rivers was moving people and is a huge reason for our improved running game. Leonard Taylor brings special interior rush ability, which is the best way to disrupt a passing game. James Williams missed a key tackle on the Achane TD, but otherwise was everywhere as a versatile weapon. We need more like those guys.

- The running backs ran hard and finished above their weight class. I was disappointed we didn’t have anything special cooked up for Jaylan Knighton in the passing game. He is our most explosive player and we need everything we can get.

- Happy for DJ Ivey. His game elevates when he tackles with physicality. The more he plays with a confident edge, the more he will finish at the catch point with length and timing.

- In general, this game looked very much like what we saw on Greentree. Struggles with downfield passing game, improved OL, strong DL, elevated DB play. For all the talk about Greentree All-Americans, the players generally play like they practice.

- Jacolby George needs to lock in. He’s clearly the most talented pure WR, but when Joe Rose asked Mario about him this AM the first thing Mario talked about was off-field reliability. This is a huge opportunity for George and he needs to seize it.

- Kamren Kinchens is playing faster every game. His football IQ is as good as it gets, and he is really starting to trust his instincts and pull the trigger.

- I like the way the pass rush is trending. We are 5th in the nation in sack percentage and a lot of people are contributing. That rush will lead to wins in ACC play.

- The most encouraging long-term sign is the OL. We looked strong against an SEC team and Mario is recruiting behemoths. If Miami becomes an OL program, it will raise our floor.

Overall, the improvements in physicality were apparent but we gave away a winnable game. Muffed punts, drops, penalties, missed kicks. Before the season, I expected a year like Mario’s first at Oregon or Richt’s first at Miami. That’s still the projection. This offense and pace will lead to a lot of close games where anything can happen. Time for the coaches to earn their money and make the necessary adjustments.
Nothing to argue with in this post.

It bothered me greatly down 17-3 and kicking that chip shot FG. Felt like we were content to be competitive and look like we belong rather than believing we could actually win a very winnable game. I hate saying this but it felt very Golden/D'onfrio (puke).

I predicted 9-3 with losses to A&M, Clemson and one mid acc team. Nothing has altered that opinion. Removing rampant fandom from the equation this roster is no where near Championship level though we do have talent sprinkled in. Anyone expecting a year one miracle simply does not understand football.

Advertisement
I wasn’t high on the gattis hire but I thought he called a good game besides RZ of course but if we dont f up 2 fgs we probably win.

Also I think the transition this offense is going thru from last year’s scheme is showing, I think it’ll click sooner than later but it’s gonna take time. Im not too worried but **** that win would’ve been great for recruiting
5 fgs and no tds in that game would still have been a disappointing offensive performance. Can’t expect to win scoring 15 pts…

Who was the most visibly uninspired player on Saturday night?

The offensive coaching staff, including Mario.

1st and Goal at the 10, late 3rd quarter, down 17-3.

Run to Knighton (your weakest back between the tackles, in an area of the field that is condensed and you need power over speed)....2 yards.

Bleed the play clock down, designed QB sweep with TVD. Are you absolutely ******* kidding me with your SECOND designed QB run? Gain of 2.

Bleed the play clock down, another run to Knighton, gain of 2. See 1st down above.

4th and goal from the 4, with just under 5 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter, when the analytics are a CLEAR "go"....kick a FG. 17-6, yay. And we burned 2 minutes off the clock just on the 3 downs from inside the 10.

Just a terrible sequence here. I'm fairly certain we had a 1st and Goal from the 10 yard line, we ran 3 plays, and not a single one of the 11 kids on our side of the ball even entered the endzone at any point. Not on a drive block, not on a pass route, nothing. We didn't even threaten. If you score, it's 17-10, with 19 minutes to play against a team who is severely challenged offensively. Puzzling play-calling, and a terrible in-game decision.

Advertisement
The offensive coaching staff, including Mario.

1st and Goal at the 10, late 3rd quarter, down 17-3.

Run to Knighton (your weakest back between the tackles, in an area of the field that is condensed and you need power over speed)....2 yards.

Bleed the play clock down, designed QB sweep with TVD. Are you absolutely ******* kidding me with your SECOND designed QB run? Gain of 2.

Bleed the play clock down, another run to Knighton, gain of 2. See 1st down above.

4th and goal from the 4, with just under 5 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter, when the analytics are a CLEAR "go"....kick a FG. 17-6, yay. And we burned 2 minutes off the clock just on the 3 downs from inside the 10.

Just a terrible sequence here. I'm fairly certain we had a 1st and Goal from the 10 yard line, we ran 3 plays, and not a single one of the 11 kids on our side of the ball even entered the endzone at any point. Not on a drive block, not on a pass route, nothing. We didn't even threaten. If you score, it's 17-10, with 19 minutes to play against a team who is severely challenged offensively. Puzzling play-calling, and a terrible in-game decision.
I agree. But I asked for a player.

Simply stated, and with all due respect to X because I think he’s a great football player, if X is your WR1, you have a terrible receiving corps. X should be WR3 at best, playing a Julian Edelman/Braxton Berrios-type role and drawing coverage from the third best corner or safely and running slants and whip routes. To make matters worse, he got hurt (I wish him a full and speedy recovery) and couldn’t play. I had hoped that out TEs would step up and help TVD, but they are more disappointing than the croquetas I got in Pinecrest this morning.

Who was the most visibly uninspired player on Saturday night?
On the field? Idk.

Off the field - Thad Franklin. His sideline demeanor wasn’t good. One drive in the red zone or close to it.. I assume he was supposed to be beside Kevin Smith and he was sitting on the bench. They were looking for him to send him in the game and couldn’t find him and scrambled and they eventually ran Parrish back out there. Thad got lit into during the FG attempt a few plays later.

Advertisement
Back