Times are changing!

hickory70

Freshman
I`ve been a Cane fan all of my life. I remember Mira SR. touchdown pass against FSU to win 7-6, I think in 62. I just don`t understand the fan of today! Good or bad ( and it was mostly bad.) we enjoyed the Canes, even if they lost. Today, following a loss, people in here go nuts. I know to loose to FIU was nightmarish! I even stayed out of the room for a week. I won`t even talk about recruiting. I do remember when we stood on top of the collegiate football world. OK time for me to get off the soapbox.

CANES

Advertisement
The problem is that this is different than a few down years. We're not going through a rough patch, its a fundamental issue with management from the top down. For every good move, mostly construction, they make 2 bad ones.

you sound like an enabling surper.

the point of sports is to win. if you arent in it to win, what is the point of watching? the ENTIRE point of being a sports fan is to see your team win.
Or even, to be competitive. Watching a lifeless team on the field, with a clueless coaching staph, is way worse than wishing your alma mater had a football program.

Advertisement
15 year drought. Fifth head coach in 14 years. 97-71 from the 2005 Peach to 2018 Pinstripe; 7-9 from that 10-0 start in 2017—which is what Diaz took over.

Brought into the ACC to bring some football prestige to a basketball conference. Only won the lowly Coastal once in 16 tries and yet to win the conference.

Toss in the fact that college football has grown into a huge money sport over the past decade-and-a-half—and Miami is more hamstrung than ever as a private school with a small alum base and fan base made up mostly of non-alum who don't write checks ... and the struggle is real. You don't get a top-notch AD or head coach when you don't have alum writing fat checks and demanding excellence. Only a small amount of people donate to UM (in comparison to state school football factories) while others put up billboards and fly banners, thinking that makes a difference.

Time to stop talking about the past like it was a few years ago, or to expect this program to get back to elite status—just because it was once the cream of the crop.

Completely defied the odds that Miami ever became a power in the first place—and the comeback under Butch was equally as improbable, albeit it was still a similar era to the 80's and 90's.

The sport went next-level about a decade ago money-wise and the landscape completely changed. If Miami is able to rebound from this, it will be a full-on miracle.

Advertisement
Advertisement
15 year drought. Fifth head coach in 14 years. 97-71 from the 2005 Peach to 2018 Pinstripe; 7-9 from that 10-0 start in 2017—which is what Diaz took over.

Brought into the ACC to bring some football prestige to a basketball conference. Only won the lowly Coastal once in 16 tries and yet to win the conference.

Toss in the fact that college football has grown into a huge money sport over the past decade-and-a-half—and Miami is more hamstrung than ever as a private school with a small alum base and fan base made up mostly of non-alum who don't write checks ... and the struggle is real. You don't get a top-notch AD or head coach when you don't have alum writing fat checks and demanding excellence. Only a small amount of people donate to UM (in comparison to state school football factories) while others put up billboards and fly banners, thinking that makes a difference.

Time to stop talking about the past like it was a few years ago, or to expect this program to get back to elite status—just because it was once the cream of the crop.

Completely defied the odds that Miami ever became a power in the first place—and the comeback under Butch was equally as improbable, albeit it was still a similar era to the 80's and 90's.

The sport went next-level about a decade ago money-wise and the landscape completely changed. If Miami is able to rebound from this, it will be a full-on miracle.
Many don't recall that Miami was an afterthought before that improbable NC in 1983. I saw many games in the 60's and 70's. From 1937 to that first NC, Miami was nothing more than a blip on the radar. And lest we forget that the university legitimately considered dropping football all together - much like they did BB. Sure we had a few great players through the years - Otto, Hendricks, Foreman, just to name a few - but for the most part, Miami was more like an FBS team than the improbable powerhouse we became in the 80's and 90's.

Yes, it will take a 21st Century miracle of the infinite degree. And that's why Miami will NEVER return to Top 5 major CFB status. hUh. So I believe a " 10-2 type " of season, and playing in the ACC, is the apt REALISTIC goal from here on out. Akin to the 2017 season. But then again, finishing 10-2 with the current HC, OC an DC is NOT doable. dUh. So grab the alcohol and or drugs and get ready for more 6-6 or 7-5 seasons under the current regime in Thee Gables.:6fps6:

Advertisement
I`ve been a Cane fan all of my life. I remember Mira SR. touchdown pass against FSU to win 7-6, I think in 62. I just don`t understand the fan of today! Good or bad ( and it was mostly bad.) we enjoyed the Canes, even if they lost. Today, following a loss, people in here go nuts. I know to loose to FIU was nightmarish! I even stayed out of the room for a week. I won`t even talk about recruiting. I do remember when we stood on top of the collegiate football world. OK time for me to get off the soapbox.

CANES
I’m sorry you had to see FIU

Advertisement
Back