Time of possession

holdnorth

Freshman
Premium
I love the fact we’re 5-0 but I believe (could be wrong) we lose this stat every game so far. I expect to lose this against GT. However, I can’t ignore we lose this every game. Going forward, we need to fix this. The defense is improving and I believe this is the key to winning the coastal maybe more. It’s an O and D effort to win TOP, particularly the slow starts and miss throws on offense. THIS IS OUR ARCHILLE HEEL! If we are serious about being irrelevant again then let’s fix this.

Advertisement
Only want to get better, can’t relax, I’m old school.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I love the fact we’re 5-0 but I believe (could be wrong) we lose this stat every game so far. I expect to lose this against GT. However, I can’t ignore we lose this every game. Going forward, we need to fix this. The defense is improving and I believe this is the key to winning the coastal maybe more. It’s an O and D effort to win TOP, particularly the slow starts and miss throws on offense. THIS IS OUR ARCHILLE HEEL! If we are serious about being irrelevant again then let’s fix this.

Time of possession is such a BS statistic that’s thrown around by blowhard announcers to try and make themselves look better. Field position battle? Sure. Winning in the trenches? Absolutely. These are things that are tangible because they affect the outcome of the game. No team has ever won a game because they won the Time of possession battle but couldn’t stop the other team from scoring.

Didn't the 2001 team loses TOP? Useless stat unless you are a heavy run team like GT who thrives on controlling the ball.

Advertisement
Also, the fact that GT only had it 5 more minutes than us is huge. After that awful first quarter the defense did a great job of getting off the field.

Also, the fact that GT only had it 5 more minutes than us is huge. After that awful first quarter the defense did a great job of getting off the field.
Read the original quote I say I expect to lose this against GT. The 2001 team scored at will in minimum time every drive. This is different, I don’t see the comparison, sorry. In 2001 GT was a gimme, stop flattering yourself.

TOP is one of the most meaningless stats out there. If we play with tempo on O we probably win by 10+.

Get as many plays on O as possible

You want to see a slow grind slog down the field with 14 play drives, Miami is not the team to do that consistently. They have big play explosive athletes like Richards,homer,Thomas and even berrios that create chunk yardage plays. Those huge plays 20, 30 and 40yard explosive plays are a better predictor of success than TOP.

Advertisement
You want to see a slow grind slog down the field with 14 play drives, Miami is not the team to do that consistently. They have big play explosive athletes like Richards,homer,Thomas and even berrios that create chunk yardage plays. Those huge plays 20, 30 and 40yard explosive plays are a better predictor of success than TOP.
If we would have capitalized early in the redzone we would have scored by more than that

We've been irrelevant for years. You probably want us to be relevant again?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back