Tim Burns

100%. The bolded part is the the key that a lot of people don't realize.

Most college position coaches (offense or defense) don't have "final say" over who they recruit. Like Rumph, they recruit an area and/or position based on the team's board as decided by the HC and coordinators. The difference is most position coaches get in their HC's and coordinator's ear about certain recruits that they really like. They bang the table for the guys they have conviction about. A big part of the position coach's job is convincing the HC/coordinator to move "their guys" closer to the top of the board. The fact Rumph can't convince Manny/Baker to let him recruit who he wants is almost as terrible as the fact he struggles to convince the kids he is put on to sign here.
The flip side of that is a HC who won't listen or allow a CB coach to recruit the players he wants, no matter how much table pounding is being done. Again your saying Rumph is failing because he can't convince Diaz, but what if Diaz simply won't let him do it no matter what.... Again it's easy to say the problem is just Rumph like @gogeta4 wants you to think, but the fact is it's larger.

Advertisement
The flip side of that is a HC who won't listen or allow a CB coach to recruit the players he wants, no matter how much table pounding is being done. Again your saying Rumph is failing because he can't convince Diaz, but what if Diaz simply won't let him do it no matter what.... Again it's easy to say the problem is just Rumph like @gogeta4 wants you to think, but the fact is it's larger.
I don't think anybody is saying the problem is "just Rumph." Manny is the HC, so any other coach failing is a failure he shares with that coach, because at the end of the day, Manny chose to hire/retain them all. But as far as a stubbornness not to let somebody do something "no matter what," I simply can't be convinced that is the case and there is no compelling evidence to believe it.

To be clear, I expect most HCs are fairly stubborn alphas used to having their own way. So we should begin by acknowledging that we are talking about a heightened degree of stubbornness when we are talking about HCs.

In that context, I look at whether Manny has demonstrated a willingness to listen and change in other aspects of his coaching. He moved on from his hand-picked OC after 1 season, essentially admitting that was a failure. He definitely gives other coaches and coordinators much more rope than he gives Rumph. And you'll notice we never hear about the guys Baker/Banda/Patke/Stroud want but Manny won't let recruit.

On the flip side, Rumph clearly struggles to pull the kids he is put on. In other words, he has a hard time convincing them to come play at UM. And I strongly suspect that the same personality/mental/psychological/whatever issues that make it difficult for Rumph to convince players to come play for us are at issue when he is trying to convince Manny/Baker to recruit certain kids. In other words, if he can't sell players on the U, he probably can't sell the coaches on those players because he just can't sell.

Looking at the facts, it seems unlikely Manny isn't willing to cave to Rumph when they disagree on recruits "no matter what." Seems a lot more likely that Rumph is just a poor salesman because it's not who he is or what he's about. And that doesn't mean he's not a great guy, it just means he'll never be a great college football coach.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back