Tiger Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.
listen, you make all the good points that show how difficult it is to compare across eras, particularly when the changes and adaptations have been so dramatic in such a short period of time.

but I will say this:

the depth of the field in jack's day was just as strong. in fact, had a great conversation once with a great tour player about that from the jack era. he said the field was just as competitive, but the difference was/is actually at the tail. Yes, 20 players could win the Masters next year, but so could 20 players in 1969. The difference is not players 1-20 he said, it's players from 40 on up. There's more depth at the tail, not at the top. the top 20 today equals top 20 from yesterday, but at the tail? the depth is more evenly dispersed, and that has to do with the expansion of the game, particularly internationally, and the training and physical development that gives guys more chances to be good for longer periods of time.

his other point was that there was no way to use the power game of the modern era to stay at the top in the old days. the reason, for example, is that you never were going to be able to drive a par 4 at Baltusrol in 1975. Just wasn't happening. Now? in the simply "grip it and rip it era?" a bunch of guys can do it, and it's a game changer. it means you get a least one or two holes a round that takes your short game out. as you probably know, as a golfer, that's HUGE.

the last point he made, and it's ironic, is one of the big changes in the game, is actually putter technology. it's a big factor in how players play the greens and how they can control long puts. Put a steel single blade putter in the hands of a lot of the modern era players and you'd be amazed how many "three puts" would start showing up in the scorecards. again, it's the same for Tiger vs. Mickelson, I get that. but it's not the same for tiger vs. jack

his last point had to do with course design unrelated to the modern power game.

players today ***** and moan like **** if courses are too difficult and it makes the scoring too high. so you get thinner rough, and softer greens. not always, but as a general rule guys are much more cognizant of bad shots because of the media perception. it affects their brand, even if the course is the same for everyone. google it and you'll see. guys in the old days, just shut the **** up and played, and again, it was a great equalizer.

anyway, that's another point of view.

point is, there's no definitive answer, but my gut tells me: jack 1(a) and tiger 1(b)

beyond that, it's probably just as futile arguing which is the correct religion. (Episcopalian, but that's another story!) :zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg:
Fair enough, and very well said. I still stand behind my point that the field Tiger faced on Sunday was much more difficult to win against than the usual field Jack faced at Augusta. But like you ended with, this is a purely subjective debate with no way to come to a concrete answer. We're splitting hairs between, hands down, the two all-time greats.

In terms of the court of public opinion, I think that will come down to whether he catches Jack's major record. If he does, then I'd say it'd be hard to put together a cognizant argument for Jack 1a/Tiger 1b. Though you did an admirable job above!

Advertisement
IMO the greatest shot in the history of golf was Tiger's chip at 15 at the 2005 Masters.

I love how you can literally see his mental computer churning at 1:08 in that clip. Everything about that shot, that moment, was just spectacular. Hard to believe that was almost a decade and a half ago.

I never even watched golf before 2018.(I'm only 27), but I find myself more and more into watching the tour just to see how Tiger does. The dude is fantastic.

Even players like Watson, Trevino, and Gary Player (Jack's competitors) agree and have said they think the greatest
golf tournament ever played and will probably never be equaled was the 2000 US Open that Tiger won by 15 strokes at
Pebble Beach. Nicklaus never dominated or won a major like Tiger won that one. Jack never won 4 consecutive
majors like Tiger did either.

Fair enough, and very well said. I still stand behind my point that the field Tiger faced on Sunday was much more difficult to win against than the usual field Jack faced at Augusta. But like you ended with, this is a purely subjective debate with no way to come to a concrete answer. We're splitting hairs between, hands down, the two all-time greats.

In terms of the court of public opinion, I think that will come down to whether he catches Jack's major record. If he does, then I'd say it'd be hard to put together a cognizant argument for Jack 1a/Tiger 1b. Though you did an admirable job above!
I'll be candid and add that I did not get to experience Jack at his prime, unfortunately. While I'm immensely familiar with Jack both on and off the course as he was an idol to both of my parents and I learned about Jack from a young age, I'm sure the fact I did not live through it factors into my take on this topic.

Advertisement
listen, you make all the good points that show how difficult it is to compare across eras, particularly when the changes and adaptations have been so dramatic in such a short period of time.

but I will say this:

the depth of the field in jack's day was just as strong. in fact, had a great conversation once with a great tour player about that from the jack era. he said the field was just as competitive, but the difference was/is actually at the tail. Yes, 20 players could win the Masters next year, but so could 20 players in 1969. The difference is not players 1-20 he said, it's players from 40 on up. There's more depth at the tail, not at the top. the top 20 today equals top 20 from yesterday, but at the tail? the depth is more evenly dispersed, and that has to do with the expansion of the game, particularly internationally, and the training and physical development that gives guys more chances to be good for longer periods of time.

his other point was that there was no way to use the power game of the modern era to stay at the top in the old days. the reason, for example, is that you never were going to be able to drive a par 4 at Baltusrol in 1975. Just wasn't happening. Now? in the simply "grip it and rip it era?" a bunch of guys can do it, and it's a game changer. it means you get a least one or two holes a round that takes your short game out. as you probably know, as a golfer, that's HUGE.

the last point he made, and it's ironic, is one of the big changes in the game, is actually putter technology. it's a big factor in how players play the greens and how they can control long puts. Put a steel single blade putter in the hands of a lot of the modern era players and you'd be amazed how many "three puts" would start showing up in the scorecards. again, it's the same for Tiger vs. Mickelson, I get that. but it's not the same for tiger vs. jack

his last point had to do with course design unrelated to the modern power game.

players today ***** and moan like **** if courses are too difficult and it makes the scoring too high. so you get thinner rough, and softer greens. not always, but as a general rule guys are much more cognizant of bad shots because of the media perception. it affects their brand, even if the course is the same for everyone. google it and you'll see. guys in the old days, just shut the **** up and played, and again, it was a great equalizer.

anyway, that's another point of view.

point is, there's no definitive answer, but my gut tells me: jack 1(a) and tiger 1(b)

beyond that, it's probably just as futile arguing which is the correct religion. (Episcopalian, but that's another story!) :zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg:
Incredibly good insights, honestly, as well written and logically laid out as any I've read on CIS. Much Respect!

The talent on the tail growth is valid but I would argue that the top 20 is now maybe top 30? You have to account for population increase AND minorities breaking on through, not to mention much Greater Intl participation week in/out imo.

Yeah. Babe is a Champ in any era and Henry is most underrated EVER, but Barry still the G.O.A.T. !!

Lol at Episcopalian. Fancy name for Catholic which is the third rail of running for Prez (Kennedys aside).

Edit: *****in and moaning about difficult course definitely true and designing down just like today's SAT scores are inflated cause test easier smh. I coulda maybe gone to Ivy if taking now lmao.

Last edited:
Even players like Watson, Trevino, and Gary Player (Jack's competitors) agree and have said they think the greatest
golf tournament ever played and will probably never be equaled was the 2000 US Open that Tiger won by 15 strokes at
Pebble Beach. Nicklaus never dominated or won a major like Tiger won that one. Jack never won 4 consecutive
majors like Tiger did either.
Tiger won the 97 Masters by 12 strokes after starting the tournament 4 over after 9 holes... and did that as a 21 year old kid.

I'll be candid and add that I did not get to experience Jack at his prime, unfortunately. While I'm immensely familiar with Jack both on and off the course as he was an idol to both of my parents and I learned about Jack from a young age, I'm sure the fact I did not live through it factors into my take on this topic.
Outstanding response...but I'm accustomed of that from you...

Advertisement
I would love to see todays players play with the same clubs and balls that Jack played with.
1ikbot.jpg

Advertisement
Jack or Tiger. who made the most "MUST MAKE" pressure putts or executed great recovery shots to get out of trouble ?

Tiger. Easy. No contest. Even Nicklaus himself has said his short game and putting was not even close to Tiger's.

Huge fan of Tiger. Guy has handled his shortcomings like a man. A lot of what he went through is really nobody else’s business as far as I’m concerned. No person is perfect, not a one.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
The one thing that people forget is that technology limited the depth of Jack's competition. With modern tech, an average player can be even more competitive than in previous generations. All Jack had to do is beat the top 10-15 guys out there, and he was pretty much home free. Tiger has guys that are afterthoughts that can sneak in and steal a tournament.

here is a comparison of Jack and Tiger

career starts Jack 586 Tiger 338
career wins Jack 73 Tiger 81
major starts Jack 161 Tiger 72
major wins Jack 18 Tiger 15

Jack won 12 % of total career tournaments he played Tiger has won 24%
Jack won 11% of major tournaments he played Tiger has won 20.8%

if Tiger maintains his average he will need to play only 19 more major tournaments to break Jack's record.

Looking at those #'s alone it would be hard to say Tiger isn't the best. Even though Jack had worse clubs and probably balls I wonder what the scores were on some of the same courses? I know nothing about golf though except to say I sat through it when my grampa was watching Jack play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back