Tears Tide Tears

Advertisement
and not touching the Defense
If anything...the Defense was upgraded in regards to staff and playbook. All BS aside, as good as the offense was, the defense is what really Won Erickson the 2 Nattys. The 91 team is "statistically" the best in UM history. Only gave up 9.7 pts a game, alittle better than the 10 pts a game 2001 gave up.
Those 89-92 DLs and LBers Lubick threw at you were the epitome of Greatness.

DeBoer isn't gonna work there. People can talk about him being a great game day coach all they want, but that's not all there is to coaching. Especially in the SEC.

In the SEC, he has to be able to recruit and play the game that comes with it. In all his years as an assistant, he was only listed as primary recruiter for 8 players. Four of them were walk ons, 3 transferred out and NONE were listed in the top 1000. His two classes at Washington were both ranked 26th, with only 3 in the top247 composite combined.

Alabama is as southern "good ole boy" as it gets. DeBoer is from South Dakota and has never coached farther south than Southern Illinois. This isn't Urban or Saban at LSU 20 years ago. Things have changed. The rest of the conference smells blood and they're going to rip Alabama apart. His roster is already (likely) losing two freshman All American starters to other SEC teams.

Alabama is going to take a step back and I seriously doubt they'll have the patience for it or with him.

I don’t know if he is, or he isn’t, going to work out, but you make some excellent points nonetheless. Really good post. Being a cultural fit is actually a thing. Not saying that the Alabama coach has to be a certain color or race, I think there are multiple people that could potentially be successful there, but they need to understand the atmosphere and the football culture and work within it. You may be absolutely right, this guy may not fit, and that might hurt him in attracting players and just as importantly, getting the support from the Alabama booster cabal, which is a fairly homogeneous group in Alabama.

Not to be that guy, but I recall pretty specifically this was said of Kelly & him going to LSU succeeding Ed.

Here are the players that left LSU after Kelly’s announcement:

1. 5* Eli Ricks
2. 4* Max Johnson
3. 4* Korey Kiner
4. 4* Deion Smith
5. 4* Trey Palmer (The Eagles say hi on this one)
6. 4* DeVonta Lee
7. 4* Landon Jackson
8. 4* Josh White
9. 4* Dwight McGlothern
10. 3* Alex Adams
11. 3* Joseph Evans
12. 3* Soni Fonua

LSU’s Decommits after Kelly was hired:
4* Jake Johnson
4* TreVonte Citizen
3* DeColdest Crawford

It was a lot of doom & gloom and “this North Easterner Yankee ain’t gone do well in LSU, nobody wants to play for him” rhetoric going on after his hire date. Well, LSU is doing just fine and in much better hands today than those last couple yrs of Ed O.

Give it time; no one likes the new guy initially, especially a new guy taking over for a living legend.

Advertisement
I don’t know if he is, or he isn’t, going to work out, but you make some excellent points nonetheless. Really good post. Being a cultural fit is actually a thing. Not saying that the Alabama coach has to be a certain color or race, I think there are multiple people that could potentially be successful there, but they need to understand the atmosphere and the football culture and work within it. You may be absolutely right, this guy may not fit, and that might hurt him in attracting players and just as importantly, getting the support from the Alabama booster cabal, which is a fairly homogeneous group in Alabama.
Which is why I'm still kind of shocked that they didn't insist on hiring a guy who had been heavily indoctrinated in the "Saban way."

I'm also of the opinion that it's gonna be a lot easier to be the guy who follows the guy who followed Nick Saban instead of being the guy who followed Nick Saban.

Last edited:
Not to be that guy, but I recall pretty specifically this was said of Kelly & him going to LSU succeeding Ed.

1. 5* Eli Ricks
2. 4* Max Johnson
3. 4* Korey Kiner
4. 4* Deion Smith
6. 4* DeVonta Lee
7. 4* Landon Jackson
8. 4* Josh White
9. 4* Dwight McGlothern
10. 3* Alex Adams
11. 3* Joseph Evans
12. 3* Soni Fonua

4* Jake Johnson
4* TreVonte Citizen
3* DeColdest Crawford

It was a lot of doom & gloom and “this North Easterner Yankee ain’t gone do well in LSU, nobody wants to play for him” rhetoric going on after his hire date. Well, LSU is doing just fine and in much better hands today than those last couple yrs of Ed O.

Give it time; no one likes the new guy initially, especially a new guy taking over for a living legend.
Much different situation though.

Kelly was coming off his 12th season at Notre Dame. He was prepared to deal with the politics of LSU as well as anyone in the sport. Plus, LSU had "only" 3 double digit win seasons in the 8 years prior to Kelly's hiring. His 10 wins in year one were 1 fewer than the 11 they had in their last 2 seasons combined.

DeBoer is coming from freakin Washington. They were coming off the 4-5 Jimmy Lake debacle when they hired him. Not exactly a pressure cooker, ya know? He's only spent 4 years as an FBS HC and only 2 of them in the P5. Alabama fans are not impressed by his success at Souix Falls back in 2009 or his 1 year stint as OC at Indiana.

If he goes 10-3 in year one, it would literally be Alabama's worst season in 14 years. God help him if he starts landing classes outside the top 5. Either of those things happen and that outsider label will be nailed to his forehead. There will aslo be a ton of Harsin (the outsider) comparisons.

Thats the reason I said Mike "Roll Tide" Price. I live in Alabama and it was said that while he was at a cheap strip club in Pensacola he was yelling "Roll Tide" while getting lap dances. LOL
He was at a club called "Arety's Angels". Arety was a greek chick and ex-stripper herself. The strippers were the kind that you would pay them to keep their clothes on, nasty flat-chested ******. After that happened she capitalized on it and made radio commercials about it. I met her some years later. She was cool and had a bank of monitors on the wall of her house that were from cameras in the club. It was very distracting to be there without staring at the monitors, ****** or not. The club has since closed, I think covid killed it.

Advertisement

Kelly was coming off his 12th season at Notre Dame. He was prepared to deal with the politics of LSU as well as anyone in the sport. Plus, LSU had "only" 3 double digit win seasons in the 8 years prior to Kelly's hiring. His 10 wins in year one were 1 fewer than the 11 they had in their last 2 seasons combined.

DeBoer is coming from freakin Washington. They were coming off the 4-5 Jimmy Lake debacle when they hired him. Not exactly a pressure cooker, ya know? He's only spent 4 years as an FBS HC and only 2 of them in the P5. Alabama fans are not impressed by his success at Souix Falls back in 2009 or his 1 year stint as OC at Indiana.

If he goes 10-3 in year one, it would literally be Alabama's worst season in 14 years. God help him if he starts landing classes outside the top 5. Either of those things happen and that outsider label will be nailed to his forehead. There will aslo be a ton of Harsin (the outsider) comparisons.

104-12 is hard to argue. It's a huge step up for him in the level of competition and fan/media pressure, but he hasn't Peter Principled himself yet.

104-12 is hard to argue. It's a huge step up for him in the level of competition and fan/media pressure, but he hasn't Peter Principled himself yet.
Context though man. 67 wins and 3 losses came at Souix Falls from 2005-2009, in the NAIA. That's below D3 football and it was 15 years ago.

I'm not saying he's loser or anything close to it. But two years and Fresno State and two years at Washington isn't a whole lot to go off of. He's one of those coaches with a pattern of bouncing around too.

No Doubt; Nick called Bama an entitled, spoiled fan base. They wanted him gone after the 2022 season, & the guy went 11-2 w/ a NY6 bowl win. Lol

Unless DeBoer wins a Nat’l Title w/in 3 yrs, the guy can have a Ryan Day like career at Bama & it won’t be good enough.

With that being said DeBoer is a helluva coach, & folks can say “well, he did it at the PAC-12 level”, & that’s fair except since being a HC at the FBS level, he’s 12-2 against top 25 opponents, this includes while at Fresno. His only loss came against Mario’s Ducks by 7 in 2021 & The nat’l title game.

I think he has supreme confidence in himself; will probably be a struggle year 1, but wouldn’t be surprised if Bama is a 10+ win team out the gate & back running. Imma big fan of his. Anytime u take a 4 win team & turn them into title contenders immediately at the Power 5 level is impressive. We’ll see.

Advertisement
Am I the only one who noticed that FSU got an inordinate number of Bama transfers so far? This is from an article on SI: https://www.si.com/college/2024/01/...aleb-downs-nick-saban-retirement-kalen-deboer.

Curious what others think here and how positive this is for them.

Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 11.09.09 AM.png

1. 5* Eli Ricks
2. 4* Max Johnson
3. 4* Korey Kiner
4. 4* Deion Smith
6. 4* DeVonta Lee
7. 4* Landon Jackson
8. 4* Josh White
9. 4* Dwight McGlothern
10. 3* Alex Adams
11. 3* Joseph Evans
12. 3* Soni Fonua

4* Jake Johnson
4* TreVonte Citizen
3* DeColdest Crawford

That is pretty meh in comparison. Bama is losing starters and Freshmen All-Americans.

Advertisement
If anything...the Defense was upgraded in regards to staff and playbook. All BS aside, as good as the offense was, the defense is what really Won Erickson the 2 Nattys. The 91 team is "statistically" the best in UM history. Only gave up 9.7 pts a game, alittle better than the 10 pts a game 2001 gave up.
Those 89-92 DLs and LBers Lubick threw at you were the epitome of Greatness.
I just had dinner with Tommy Tuberville. he said the best talent he ever had was at Miami.

I just had dinner with Tommy Tuberville. he said the best talent he ever had was at Miami.
I first met Tommy in 86 at Hecht when he and Chuck were GA's. Tommy stayed for a few yrs, but Chuck went back West to USC. Then, in 1997 I was an Executive Sous Chef at the SanDestin Hilton, where the SEC held numerous meetings/functions and spoke with him for a good while.

Advertisement
Back