Tidbits of the new 247 recruiting article?

I see what youre saying but I think its a numbers game. Remeber there are only 85 schollys and you cant have 15-20 percent of those schollys on d tackles. Also the 25 initial counters basically make u have to stick to a class of 25 at most. If you have other wholes and places hwere u need bodies or talent like we do at linebacker, O line and even cornerback I dont know if its smart to take 7 d tackles in 2 classes
I disagree we have a numbers issue here.

At DT, for ‘20, we will have Silvera as a JR., Ford as a SR., plus Miller and the ‘19 Frosh, who aren’t even here yet. So basically, one guy who to date has underperformed, one guy who was a reach kid and redshirted, and three guys who have never suited up here, plus Silvera. We NEED DTs who can play.

At DE, we will maybe have Garvin, depending on of he stays, plus Rousseau, Harvey and Cam Williams. The latter two have never suited up for UM. Williams is supposedly an admissions Q but we’ll see. Then you have Phillips, who had to retire for concussions. Have to put a Q next to him in the CTE era. So we NEED DEs.

Roster room isn’t an issue, IMO. We should be able to take 25 with a bit of typical attrition. The question is where we invest the scholarships. My guess is 4 DBs, 4 LBs (one of whom can grow into a DE), 5 DL, 4-5 OL, 1 QB, 1-2 RB, 1-2 TE, 2-3 WRs.

Advertisement
Summary
QB- we are done
RB- Knighton is a toss up but sources close to the program are confident. After him its Caziah Holmes and Parrish as targets.
WR- Miami confident they can keep both commits committed especially Fleming. Top targets are Jyalin Hyatt and Gary Bryant JR. Dont know where Mookie Cooper is on the board. Seem to be behind on Henderson and Jones bell. Arian smith was being recruited as a db but a name to know as a wr now.
TE- miami good with Dom wants to add washington or Theo Johnson both will be hard to get.
OL- Miami after a bunch of tackles. 1 more interior guy will be taken. Sources feel good about Rivers. Everyone else is still a toss up.
DE- Looks like they want 2 more to pair with anaele. Williams might be package deal with Rivers. Miami seems to lead for Jaylen Harrel. Other plan b kids in the fold but Miami will try to land those first.
LB- Miami is after some big time names but probably dont lead for any of them and they have a bunch of plan b options with the board still expanding. Miami wants 4 linebackers. Latarie Kinsler recruitment more open than what it seemed so no more miami crystal ball.
DT- Miami feels like they are full here but will recruit more plan b kids and will likely take Roberts if he wants in. I think they think they are good with 2 because of the guys they landed last cycle. Roberts might be a miami lean but watch out for UF.
Corner- sources say hodges reminds them of henderson with less speed. Kid hasnt ever ran track and has barely lifted weights. Keyshawn Lawrence the top target and Ethan Pouncey a top target as well. Jaiden Francois is viewed as a safety now.
Safety- South dade duo + Branch (striker) committed. Miami wants 1 more. Board there is open right now but Avanate Williams is target number 1.
WANT

Wish we could have him and Knighton

At DT, for ‘20, we will have Silvera as a JR., Ford as a SR., plus Miller and the ‘19 Frosh, who aren’t even here yet. So basically, one guy who to date has underperformed, one guy who was a reach kid and redshirted, and three guys who have never suited up here, plus Silvera. We NEED DTs who can play.

At DE, we will maybe have Garvin, depending on of he stays, plus Rousseau, Harvey and Cam Williams. The latter two have never suited up for UM. Williams is supposedly an admissions Q but we’ll see. Then you have Phillips, who had to retire for concussions. Have to put a Q next to him in the CTE era. So we NEED DEs.

Roster room isn’t an issue, IMO. We should be able to take 25 with a bit of typical attrition. The question is where we invest the scholarships. My guess is 4 DBs, 4 LBs (one of whom can grow into a DE), 5 DL, 4-5 OL, 1 QB, 1-2 RB, 1-2 TE, 2-3 WRs.
Yea exactly man 5 DL is what the staff wants to take as I mentioned. They wanna do it in the form of 2 tackles and 3 ends.

Advertisement
I hope we don’t settle for plan b guys or under-recruit DL. We need to stack the deck there. One okay cycle and the guys ain't even here year. Starting with Coker, every staff we have had follows a good class at a position group with the ‘less need’ theory next cycle. Over time it destroys the roster, because some of the kids you got you think are good won’t turn out that way, and you miss out on kids you should have tried to get.

We should try really hard to get a second TE, not just those two guys mentioned. Try really hard to get another BIG TIME WR. We only took Payton last cycle. LB is a HUGE need.

Manny, you are on the clock. Do your thing.
Facts

Yea exactly man 5 DL is what the staff wants to take as I mentioned. They wanna do it in the form of 2 tackles and 3 ends.
If they think Moise and Riggins commits means they’re done at DT, then I am officially concerned about this staff’s recruiting. They should be trying to get kids who are better than those two. Moreover there is some talk that Moise could end up at OG. And Riggins is not a local kid and should be considered a risk if he shows out.

I’d also take 3 DTs and 2 DEs if I were them and 5 was the limit. We always find good DEs. We rarely find that type of quality at DT. And can move a kid to OL if needed.

Honestly, I’d take 6 kids at DL if it were up to me. That extra DL is worth more than a 4th LB. we just **** the bed on Lb recruiting for so long we’ll have to overreact.

Either they're not saying exactly what they're doing because they don't want their strategy out there or they're taking a wait & see approach on players that they have at the top of their list.

The question becomes if a player is at the top of their board how hard are they recruiting him as opposed to a player maybe lower on the board but are more likely to commit?

Because Xzavier Henderson & Thaiu Jones-Bell ain't coming, so do you recruit kids that aren't coming over a kid like Mookie Cooper who has way more interest in Miami & has much higher chance to commit?

They're making a mistake if they don't accept Jamari Stewart's commitment, that kid is a beast & absolutely wants to be a Cane. At DT they're staying pat with Willie Moise, Riggins & will take Roberts of course, I think they add Timothy Brown if Roberts doesn't commit.

They want 4 LB's and will probably go all out for Flowe & Smalls, realistically speaking we'll have to settle for taking 1 or 2 other options on the board. At LB I think we end up with Mathis & Kinsler (who I believe is a DE but that's another topic for another day lol), then possibly end up with Tirek Austin-Cave & try to flip Hyppolite by crootin' season in December. I think we have an outside chance with Flowe, depending on how our seasons goes, if we win the chances are much better if not, no shot.

Francois was always a FS prospect, many of us been saying that since last year, so no issue there. If they want to add one more Safety I think we end up with a local prospect or they try to make a push for Donovan Johnson from Louisiana. I don't see Tae Williams in this class.

At CB, keep pushing for Keyshawn Lawrence, if we can move Auburn out the way I think we can beat Tenn in a head to head matchup for him because their team sucks & a kid as highly as ranked as him wants to go OOS for school.

On Pouncey, I mean I wouldn't bet the house on landing a Pouncey but stranger things have happened lol. Ultimately we need to take Pough in this class, don't know why we're slow playing him.

This is the crux of the issue I still see in recruiting overall at Miami. Not necessarily an issue with a specific player or position, but the ability to recognize that resources are better spent elsewhere and on other targets. I mean we aren't in the room with the coaches so we have to try to pick and choose out of second hand info, but I think it's pretty evident that this issue is still around.

Rivers is being recruited as a tackle
Yeah, but @ 330 lbs he is not what Enos and Barry prefer at that spot. I wonder if they move him inside early on. Or protect him in use @ RT. Donaldson seemed to be the same story, same height and weight. Started out at RT here, and moved inside. Footwork will differentiate them.

Advertisement

Agree with all of this minus Garvin. I can't see him coming back next year.

Either they're not saying exactly what they're doing because they don't want their strategy out there or they're taking a wait & see approach on players that they have at the top of their list.

The question becomes if a player is at the top of their board how hard are they recruiting him as opposed to a player maybe lower on the board but are more likely to commit?

Because Xzavier Henderson & Thaiu Jones-Bell ain't coming, so do you recruit kids that aren't coming over a kid like Mookie Cooper who has way more interest in Miami & has much higher chance to commit?

They're making a mistake if they don't accept Jamari Stewart's commitment, that kid is a beast & absolutely wants to be a Cane. At DT they're staying pat with Willie Moise, Riggins & will take Roberts of course, I think they add Timothy Brown if Roberts doesn't commit.

They want 4 LB's and will probably go all out for Flowe & Smalls, realistically speaking we'll have to settle for taking 1 or 2 other options on the board. At LB I think we end up with Mathis & Kinsler (who I believe is a DE but that's another topic for another day lol), then possibly end up with Tirek Austin-Cave & try to flip Hyppolite by crootin' season in December. I think we have an outside chance with Flowe, depending on how our seasons goes, if we win the chances are much better if not, no shot.

Francois was always a FS prospect, many of us been saying that since last year, so no issue there. If they want to add one more Safety I think we end up with a local prospect or they try to make a push for Donovan Johnson from Louisiana. I don't see Tae Williams in this class.

At CB, keep pushing for Keyshawn Lawrence, if we can move Auburn out the way I think we can beat Tenn in a head to head matchup for him because their team sucks & a kid as highly as ranked as him wants to go OOS for school.

On Pouncey, I mean I wouldn't bet the house on landing a Pouncey but stranger things have happened lol. Ultimately we need to take Pough in this class, don't know why we're slow playing him.
You hit a lot of **** on the head. Dont know if u have a subscription and read 247 but the names u mentioned where some of the ones mentioned on there that I didnt put in the summary. Timothy Brown along with Jerzham Newton and James Ash are the plan b kids for DT. I think if they dont get Roberts which I dont think they will they have to decide if they want to take another D Tackle or stay put with the pair. If they wanna take another I see them taking any of the 3 plan be kids. Also Donovan Johnson was the name thrown out on the article as the plan b at safety. It was mentioned that he wont finished ranked much higher than the 3 star ranking he already has but he plays defense like Manny Diaz wants defense to be played. Kinsler and Stewarrt might actually not be as much of miami leans as we thought. Kinsler is getting love from some oos schools like LSU and I think he is slow playing Miami after miami slow played him. Stewart has not showed up to a single event in the off season after saying he was coming to 3 of them.

If they think Moise and Riggins commits means they’re done at DT, then I am officially concerned about this staff’s recruiting. They should be trying to get kids who are better than those two. Moreover there is some talk that Moise could end up at OG. And Riggins is not a local kid and should be considered a risk if he shows out.

I’d also take 3 DTs and 2 DEs if I were them and 5 was the limit. We always find good DEs. We rarely find that type of quality at DT. And can move a kid to OL if needed.

Honestly, I’d take 6 kids at DL if it were up to me. That extra DL is worth more than a 4th LB. we just **** the bed on Lb recruiting for so long we’ll have to overreact.
I personally like Willie Moise at guard but he is a good D Tackle. I just think he has a better build for the guard spot but they will let him play d tackle which is what he wants to play because he is Miami caliber. Riggins needs to show me a lot more his senior year for me to get excited about that pair for the class. They want Roberts who I think is a dt/de swing type player that basically fills up both spots depending on need. I do think we need 4 linebackers because of how depleted we are. Theres no telling how Jennings, Steed, and Wilder will bounce back from injury and all we have is the freshmen after this season.

Advertisement

I think the staff sees pough as a safety and we are pretty full there although personally I like pough alot more than Washington. So I think pough is in if Washington is out which would mean Washington would have to have a bad season.

Agree with all of this minus Garvin. I can't see him coming back next year.
I wrote ‘maybe.’ We dont know. Other schools manage to keep talented seniors. Maybe watching his former teammates slip in the draft while Clemson seniors rise up will help him see the light.

Advertisement
I personally like Willie Moise at guard but he is a good D Tackle. I just think he has a better build for the guard spot but they will let him play d tackle which is what he wants to play because he is Miami caliber. Riggins needs to show me a lot more his senior year for me to get excited about that pair for the class. They want Roberts who I think is a dt/de swing type player that basically fills up both spots depending on need. I do think we need 4 linebackers because of how depleted we are. Theres no telling how Jennings, Steed, and Wilder will bounce back from injury and all we have is the freshmen after this season.

I agree on all that. Not sold on Riggins. Like the Pinder dude Paranos is onto. Want them to find a really tough interior guy. Or a big NT disruptor. Would also like them to try to get Anaele back on board.

The LB sit is dire. We have plenty of DBs. Overall roster is 2 years away from really having the right balance and progression.

I think the staff sees pough as a safety and we are pretty full there although personally I like pough alot more than Washington. So I think pough is in if Washington is out which would mean Washington would have to have a bad season.
We want to take 1 more safety according to the article

I agree on all that. Not sold on Riggins. Like the Pinder dude Paranos is onto. Want them to find a really tough interior guy. Or a big NT disruptor. Would also like them to try to get Anaele back on board.

The LB sit is dire. We have plenty of DBs. Overall roster is 2 years away from really having the right balance and progression.
Anaele is still on board as of right now. He is an end tho

You hit a lot of **** on the head. Dont know if u have a subscription and read 247 but the names u mentioned where some of the ones mentioned on there that I didnt put in the summary. Timothy Brown along with Jerzham Newton and James Ash are the plan b kids for DT. I think if they dont get Roberts which I dont think they will they have to decide if they want to take another D Tackle or stay put with the pair. If they wanna take another I see them taking any of the 3 plan be kids. Also Donovan Johnson was the name thrown out on the article as the plan b at safety. It was mentioned that he wont finished ranked much higher than the 3 star ranking he already has but he plays defense like Manny Diaz wants defense to be played. Kinsler and Stewarrt might actually not be as much of miami leans as we thought. Kinsler is getting love from some oos schools like LSU and I think he is slow playing Miami after miami slow played him. Stewart has not showed up to a single event in the off season after saying he was coming to 3 of them.
I def don't have a 247 subscription & never have, I just understand how this crootin sh*t works, it's my specialty lol.

I knew Donovan Johnson was a plan b option at Safety because Coach Baker wants to build a pipeline in TX & LA especially for DB's & Donovan doesn't have a LSU offer yet so that means he's a real option for us. Same situation as it was with Branch, it's just Donovan hasn't visited us yet.

At DT, it's a no brainier that Timothy Brown is an option, with our recent offer & the fact he's at a Miami friendly program in PBL (Al shipman & Mike Lawson are the coaches there). With Jerzhan Newton he's in Gaytor territory but his HC is another former Cane so that gives us some chance.

With Stewart I had heard from the jump he really likes Miami & had planned on committing but I guess Miami is waiting to see what happens with other prospects. But I think we're making a mistake if we don't take his commitment, he's close with Jahfari Harvey & has similar upside.

On Kinsler the issue will be if we can get him recruiting him as Standup Backer while LSU will sell him on his fit as a OLB/Rush End in their 3-4 Defense. We should be selling him to come here as a DE pass rushing specialist, but the problem is if we recruit as a DE it's a guarantee he'd have to Redshirt, so they're probably telling him he can come & play right away as a LB that will just Blitz a lot.

Advertisement
Back