Throw the bank at Arnett!

Based on the LB’s we currently have at least 3 of them would actually be better suited in a 3-3-5 than our system.

And it’s not that we can’t find 2 LBs, we have plenty, it’s just Diaz & Bake are hellbent on playing the slow upperclassmen. Sure McCloud, Jennings & Steed wouldn’t be ideal for that system, but give a guy like Arnett Brooks, Huff, TAC, Flagg, K Smith, Frierson, plus incoming Frosh like Chase Smith, Troutman, Tyler Johnson & James Williams he would put together a very active fast Defense.

What’s so special about the current Defense that we couldn’t switch? They gave up over 700+ yards in one game, what exactly about the current scheme that no other scheme wouldn’t work? The current scheme doesn’t seem to work all that well either so what’s the problem with trying something new?
Trust me...I am in full agreement in switching the defense. I have said from day 1 that it would be exactly what it is....sh1tty scheme that dominates inferior talent but gets railroaded by any decent talent/coach. dIAZ is the off season champ but if Miami runs the same crap on defense then its another mediocre season.

Advertisement
Based on the LB’s we currently have at least 3 of them would actually be better suited in a 3-3-5 than our system.

And it’s not that we can’t find 2 LBs, we have plenty, it’s just Diaz & Bake are hellbent on playing the slow upperclassmen. Sure McCloud, Jennings & Steed wouldn’t be ideal for that system, but give a guy like Arnett, Brooks, Huff, TAC, Flagg, K Smith, Frierson, plus incoming Frosh like Chase Smith, Troutman, Tyler Johnson & James Williams he would put together a very active fast Defense.

What’s so special about the current Defense that we couldn’t switch? They gave up over 700+ yards in one game, what exactly about the current scheme that no other scheme wouldn’t work? The current scheme doesn’t seem to work all that well either so what’s the problem with trying something new?
Hear yee! Hear yee! I think the talent to be great is here. Just need to stop being so god **** stubborn & fit the pieces correctly. I'd also tell Amari Carter you're moving to linebacker. I'm not sure what/if he'd be there but we already know what he is at S & it's not too great. Closer to the LOS for that lad may make something go off in his head + reduce the targeting chances.

Just bring me on as an analyst & I’ll handle the crootin’ lol.
E0E0A36B-47BF-45D4-971A-9EB1543041D0.gif

What about actually hiring Rocky Long as DC? Currently DC at New Mexico.

Yeah he's a bit older (same age as Saban), but it could be a short term solution. He'd be relatively inexpensive (Making $300k), and you could have the younger guys handle recruiting.

Yes, I realize this is never going to happen.

The 3-3-5 runs alot of 4i-0-4i technique up front. It's alot of two gapping. In the secondary we have the guys to run it. The defensive line we'd be playing three bigger guys like taylor,roberts,harrison hunte as ends. Guys like harvey or johnson would be rush linebackers. It'd take time to learn and adjust to it but the 4-0-4 technique would be the biggest adjustment.

Advertisement

And it’s not that we can’t find 2 LBs, we have plenty, it’s just Diaz & Bake are hellbent on playing the slow upperclassmen. Sure McCloud, Jennings & Steed wouldn’t be ideal for that system, but give a guy like Arnett, Brooks, Huff, TAC, Flagg, K Smith, Frierson, plus incoming Frosh like Chase Smith, Troutman, Tyler Johnson & James Williams he would put together a very active fast Defense.

I am actually in favor of the 3-3-5. UAB gave us fits with it.

Its not really easy to block against it, because the amount of pressure schemes that you can create with linebackers and safeties rotating and moving around, you gotta have good communication to block it.

Analysts have been raving about it because it limits the damage made by the Air Raid. In fact, we faced it several times the past season (teams had success blitzing out of it, but no success rushing three, because rushing three is dumb).

When you are playing these teams, both in the NFL and College Football, you gotta have a whole lot of defensive packages with disguises. Every Dolphin fan in here will tell you, on 3rd and 7, Flores dialed up pressure. That guy sometimes runs a 1-3-7 and lets everyone move around and disguise pressure. In New England, it got up to the point where seven players started to rush, jam the guards and drop back into coverage. Its enough for the other five to create havoc because one or two blockers are occupied. They ran it to perfection in 2019.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I missed that. Well he was available and unless it was under the table at a Waffle House in the middle of nowhere, Manny didn’t even get him to come interview.

Freeman is a good DC, but born and raised in Ohio, and Cincy has only 3 players on the roster from Florida (none from S Fl). He likely isn't tied into the S Fl recruiting scene, especially coming from a G5 in Ohio. So recruiting would be a big question mark. And as impressive as Cincys numbers were, the only P5 they played was UGA, and they were giving up 7+ yards per play. Our experience with Blake Baker has taught me to be wary of hotshot G5 DCs.

Arnett would be coming from a SEC school and all those programs (except for Vandy probably) have tentacles all over Florida. I'd much rather land Arnett than Freeman because I don't think we would have to worry as much about the ability to recruit S Fl.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back