Throw the bank at Arnett!

Guys we either need to hire a 4-3 guy that doesn't mind outside backers being undersized... or a 4-2-5 guy. Arnett is a 3-3-5...We can't make a 3-4 or 3-3-5 work right now with our roster make up

Or you are looking at a solid two year adjustment for the defense.

We can probably make a 4-3 work...(I think a 4-3 over would fit best). We simply have too many DL with very few zero techs (Miller maybe???) for a 3 man front...Even a 4-3 would be a little bit of a challenge because in an old school 4-3 we technically have what? 10-11 safeties on the roster.

The position we've recruited best is striker and safety...So we have back 8 personnel for Arnett's defense, but not the DL...A 4-3 we MAY be able to make happen. Any 3 man front defense we need a roster overhaul and that doesn't happen overbite.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You put me on to that 3-3-5 and I brought up Kurt Mattix at SDSU recently. Is he a Rocky Long/Zach Arnett disciple?
Yup. Mattix is a Brady Hoke disciple & Hoke is a Rocky Long guy.

He came up under Hoke at Michigan as a QC Coach & ST’s guy, then went to Eastern Kentucky under Mark Elder who was at Michigan towards the end of the Lloyd Carr era.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Guys we either need to hire a 4-3 guy that doesn't mind outside backers being undersized... or a 4-2-5 guy. Arnett is a 3-3-5...We can't make a 3-4 or 3-3-5 work right now with our roster make up

Or you are looking at a solid two year adjustment for the defense.

We can probably make a 4-3 work...(I think a 4-3 over would fit best). We simply have too many DL with very few zero techs (Miller maybe???) for a 3 man front...Even a 4-3 would be a little bit of a challenge because in an old school 4-3 we technically have what? 10-11 safeties on the roster.

The position we've recruited best is striker and safety...So we have back 8 personnel for Arnett's defense, but not the DL...A 4-3 we MAY be able to make happen. Any 3 man front defense we need a roster overhaul and that doesn't happen overbite.
We could absolutely make a 3-3-5 work with our personnel, we have enough Nickel Safeties/Hyrbid Backers & LB’s to run it. The Rush End position actually would fit the South FL LB’s we recruit that play DE in HS & we try to convert them to traditional standup Backers, kids like Brooks, Tyler Johnson, Huff etc would fit perfect as a SPUR LB in the 3-3-5 system.

The 3-3-5 is also an adaptable Defense that can rush 4 routinely, it’s not just a 3 down lineman set, it’s a flexible Multiple set Defense that allows you to easily transition vs uptempo no huddle offenses without having mass substitutions from play to play.

Our issue isn’t really scheme it’s more so just the players, we’re a slow Defense that doesn’t play sound discipline gap integrity in the 2nd level of the Defense at LB & on the backend, we play too much soft Zone-dog & have no clue what to do in our coverage shells & our Corners are slow & stiff as well.

With adding Stevenson & playing more Press man on the outside we should be better in coverage, but overall Baker is just a **** poor play caller & has no feel for the game, he’s a reckless abandon style DC that has no plan B when his first option doesn’t work.

We don’t have to strictly remain a 4-2-5 style Defense, we just need a DC who isn’t a complete idiot & understands when to call a Blitz & when it to dial it back & play smarter coverages based on our opponents & not just calling shìt just to call it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We could absolutely make a 3-3-5 work with our personnel, we have enough Nickel Safeties/Hyrbid Backers & LB’s to run it. The Rush End position actually would fit the South FL LB’s we recruit that play DE in HS & we try to convert them to traditional standup Backers, kids like Brooks, Tyler Johnson, Huff etc would fit perfect as a SPUR LB in the 3-3-5 system.

The 3-3-5 is also an adaptable Defense that can rush 4 routinely, it’s not just a 3 down lineman set, it’s a flexible Multiple set Defense that allows you to easily transition vs uptempo no huddle offenses without having mass substitutions from play to play.

Our issue isn’t really scheme it’s more so just the players, we’re a slow Defense that doesn’t play sound discipline gap integrity in the 2nd level of the Defense at LB & on the backend, we play too much soft Zone-dog & have no clue what to do in our coverage shells & our Corners are slow & stiff as well.

With adding Stevenson & playing more Press man on the outside we should be better in coverage, but overall Baker is just a **** poor play caller & has no feel for the game, he’s a reckless abandon style DC that has no plan B when his first option doesn’t work.

We don’t have to strictly remain a 4-2-5 style Defense, we just need a DC who isn’t a complete idiot & understands when to call a Blitz & when it to dial it back & play smarter coverages based on our opponents & not just calling shìt just to call it.

I don't have preference to a 4-2-5...But I do disagree that we can make a 3-3-5 work quickly...Not up front. I agree that it serves the purpose you said it does with not having to substitute, and I agree we have been too slow at spots, especially at corner. I just don't think the adjustment will come as quickly as you said...We have too many DL and not enough of that type of DL. Davis

Agree 100% on Baker's play calling too.

I don't have preference to a 4-2-5...But I do disagree that we can make a 3-3-5 work quickly...Not up front. I agree that it serves the purpose you said it does with not having to substitute, and I agree we have been too slow at spots, especially at corner. I just don't think the adjustment will come as quickly as you said...We have too many DL and not enough of that type of DL. Davis

Agree 100% on Baker's play calling too.

Did you watch Cinncinati play Georgia in the bowl game?

Advertisement
Did you watch Cinncinati play Georgia in the bowl game?

Yes...It's pretty rare to be that multiple and I just don't see it on our roster. And also realize that Georgia went for 7.3 ypplay and over 10yppass.

But ya I liked Cincy defense a lot too

This is exactly right. I would argue we were basically in a modified 3-3-5 in some 3rd down situations last year.

Advertisement
we cant find 2 good LBs and you want to run a 3-3-5

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

we cant find 2 good LBs and you want to run a 3-3-5

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office
Based on the LB’s we currently have at least 3 of them would actually be better suited in a 3-3-5 than our system.

And it’s not that we can’t find 2 LBs, we have plenty, it’s just Diaz & Bake are hellbent on playing the slow upperclassmen. Sure McCloud, Jennings & Steed wouldn’t be ideal for that system, but give a guy like Arnett, Brooks, Huff, TAC, Flagg, K Smith, Frierson, plus incoming Frosh like Chase Smith, Troutman, Tyler Johnson & James Williams he would put together a very active fast Defense.

What’s so special about the current Defense that we couldn’t switch? They gave up over 700+ yards in one game, what exactly about the current scheme that no other scheme wouldn’t work? The current scheme doesn’t seem to work all that well either so what’s the problem with trying something new?

Advertisement
Back