Through 7 games: total offense = 63rd, total defense = 26th

Defensive stats versus FBS Power 5 Opponents:

Total Defense 76th (1750 Total Yards), Yards per Game 68th (437.5)
Scoring Defense 35th (24.5 PPG)
Rushing Defense 53rd (151.14 YPG)
Passing Defense 26th (194.6 YPG)
Tackles for Loss 25th (31 total)
Sacks 39th (10 total)

Advertisement
The offensive numbers are no different than the scary bad defense ones Golden had. And the slurpers were convinced, absolutely convinced, that when Al got his guys here, there would be dramatic improvement. It's a really really bad warning sign.

Don't want to step on your thread Killa, but i thought I'd throw in a few more stats.
Listed are Red Zone TD% and 3rd Down Conversions. National average rank over the last 9 seasons.

Jacory years ('08-'11)
RZTD- 53rd
3rdDC- 55th

Morris years ('12-'13)
RZTD- 85th
3rdDC- 82nd

Kaaya to Date ('14-'16)
RZTD- 96th
3rdDC- 102nd

The red zone and third down percentages are a direct result of too many negative yardage plays. Either sacks or stuffed runs or offensive penalties. I'm convinced that if the offense could just be average on third downs, they'd win out.

Vs Power 5:

81- Total Offense
79- Scoring Offense
102- Rushing Offense
43- Passing Offense
104- Sacks Allowed
106- 3rd Down Conversions

Out of curiosity, is this just our stats recalculated vs P5 compared against other teams full stats. Or only P5 games for all teams? While some other teams might not have 3 easy games like we did, most teams have had at least a cupcake or two by now.

Still pathetic though.

Advertisement
Vs Power 5:

81- Total Offense
79- Scoring Offense
102- Rushing Offense
43- Passing Offense
104- Sacks Allowed
106- 3rd Down Conversions

Out of curiosity, is this just our stats recalculated vs P5 compared against other teams full stats. Or only P5 games for all teams? While some other teams might not have 3 easy games like we did, most teams have had at least a cupcake or two by now.

Still pathetic though.

Rankings are for all FBS teams against Power 5 schools...

17.5 ppg on offense in ACC play. that is the only stat that matters. its pathetic, **** poor and worse than LSU in conference play.

Don't want to step on your thread Killa, but i thought I'd throw in a few more stats.
Listed are Red Zone TD% and 3rd Down Conversions. National average rank over the last 9 seasons.

Jacory years ('08-'11)
RZTD- 53rd
3rdDC- 55th

Morris years ('12-'13)
RZTD- 85th
3rdDC- 82nd

Kaaya to Date ('14-'16)
RZTD- 96th
3rdDC- 102nd

kaaya is atrocious.

Jacory years ('08-'11)
RZTD- 53rd
3rdDC- 55th

Morris years ('12-'13)
RZTD- 85th
3rdDC- 82nd

Kaaya to Date ('14-'16)
RZTD- 96th
3rdDC- 102nd

kaaya is atrocious.

I wouldn't call him atrocious but the numbers I posted don't lie.
You can't tell me that the OL and the play calling were that much better in the Shannon years.

Advertisement
Per NCAA.com

Tackles for loss

1st, 10.1 TLFL pg

Despite all the negativity surrounding the offense, that single stat right there is what all of us Canes fans have been wanting to see for a very, very long time. Enough praise can't be given to Manny Diaz for doing exactly what he set out to do, attack the LOS.

Coach Kool also deserves just as much if not more credit for doing what he has done in the very short time he has had this DLine under his wing.

Can't remember who, but someone here did a nice breakdown of diaz's defenses over the summer and pretty much summed up that diaz will get alot of TFL but because of the holes behind the pressure it will give up a high percentage of 3rd down conversions. those numbers seem to validate their theory.

For the most part we faced teams with good offenses but bad defenses. That is part of what makes the lack of offensive production so infuriarating. We pretty much got Charles Kelly at FSU off the hot seat.

Jacory years ('08-'11)
RZTD- 53rd
3rdDC- 55th

Morris years ('12-'13)
RZTD- 85th
3rdDC- 82nd

Kaaya to Date ('14-'16)
RZTD- 96th
3rdDC- 102nd

kaaya is atrocious.

I wouldn't call him atrocious but the numbers I posted don't lie.
You can't tell me that the OL and the play calling were that much better in the Shannon years.

I remember how bad I would curse at the TV because Jacory would nonchalantly run out of bounds, just short of the marker on first down conversions. In hindsight, I think to myself, at least he tried to make a play.

Was a big Brad Kaaya promoter before the season. Telling my Niners family that we're going to crap the NFL bed and then draft a Cane for our QB. I don't say anything about that anymore. Believe me, I want Kaaya to do great. He just doesn't do well in situations that require greatness.

Defensive stats versus FBS Power 5 Opponents:

Total Defense 76th (1750 Total Yards), Yards per Game 68th (437.5)
Scoring Defense 35th (24.5 PPG)
Rushing Defense 53rd (151.14 YPG)
Passing Defense 26th (194.6 YPG)
Tackles for Loss 25th (31 total)
Sacks 39th (10 total)

We've been facing good offenses though to be fair.

Advertisement
I want yall to watch this video and take a look at how many times we ran "all verts". At 16:13 we actually run the "4 verts" concept THREE TIMES IN A ROW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj3wokAfU4Q

We end up hitting a wheel route for a TD because their CB inexplicably bites down on the post, but you can't make a living like that. It failed more times than it succeeded. We also hit a couple verts to Richards where he just flat-out makes a play. Again, you can't make a living like that. You have to diversify the passing game. Can't just live and die on verticals.

VT played Quarters the majority of the game. They switched up the way they aligned from play-to-play and made it look **** but at the end of the day it was just Cover-4 for the most part. They did a great job of taking away the flats and the verticals. When they wanted to create pressure they just played Cover-1 and sent 6 at the QB. (and we still ran all verts)

Good spread offenses have "conversion" routes, where a WR has a couple route options based on the coverage.
Ex: If the single WR in the 3x1 formation gets off-coverage he runs a hitch. If he gets press coverage he runs a vertical or slant.

I also didn't see us attempt to "hi-low" any intermediate defenders or put any defenders into a conflict.
Ex: Run a crosser in front of the LB and a dig behind him. He's being "hi-lowed", he's in a conflict. LB drives on the crosser, throw the dig behind his head. LB gets depth, throw the crosser.

Or how 'bout attacking the LB's with our RB's, like Coley did last year.
Ex: Run all the WR's on verticals (clearing out all of the DB's) and then isolate their LB on our RB with an angle route. Not many LB's can cover Yearby in the open field with a 2-way go.

No concepts at all. We're just running around trying to out-athlete people.

I want yall to watch this video and take a look at how many times we ran "all verts". At 16:13 we actually run the "4 verts" concept THREE TIMES IN A ROW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj3wokAfU4Q

We end up hitting a wheel route for a TD because their CB inexplicably bites down on the post, but you can't make a living like that. It failed more times than it succeeded. We also hit a couple verts to Richards where he just flat-out makes a play. Again, you can't make a living like that. You have to diversify the passing game. Can't just live and die on verticals.

VT played Quarters the majority of the game. They switched up the way they aligned from play-to-play and made it look **** but at the end of the day it was just Cover-4 for the most part. They did a great job of taking away the flats and the verticals. When they wanted to create pressure they just played Cover-1 and sent 6 at the QB. (and we still ran all verts)

Good spread offenses have "conversion" routes, where a WR has a couple route options based on the coverage.
Ex: If the single WR in the 3x1 formation gets off-coverage he runs a hitch. If he gets press coverage he runs a vertical or slant.

I also didn't see us attempt to "hi-low" any intermediate defenders or put any defenders into a conflict.
Ex: Run a crosser in front of the LB and a dig behind him. He's being "hi-lowed", he's in a conflict. LB drives on the crosser, throw the dig behind his head. LB gets depth, throw the crosser.

Ex: Run all the WR's on verticals (clearing out all of the DB's) and then isolate their LB on our RB with an angle route. Not many LB's can cover Yearby in the open field with a 2-way go.

No concepts at all. We're just running around trying to out-athlete people.

Without the athletes

This is an important facet of the 4Verts concept - creating green grass and angling an RB into the open space created by forcing the safeties to play with greater depth.

I thought we would see more of it.

There were encouraging signs though...Kaaya threw a beautiful back-shoulder to Richards on one. I was wondering when we would see some of that...we should be going to that more, as it is one of the most impossible assignments for a DB.

Advertisement
The offensive numbers are no different than the scary bad defense ones Golden had. And the slurpers were convinced, absolutely convinced, that when Al got his guys here, there would be dramatic improvement. It's a really really bad warning sign.

people comparing richt to al golden.. lol

golden wouldn't win a game in the sec

Advertisement
Back