Thoughts on the end of the Golden era

View as article
I finished reading this and it was like a summary of everything we've discussed over the years and sat through the FAU game discussing. Down to the Denzyl Perryman story that a guy like Tano and I talked about in detail once. It freaked me out then. It freaks me out now.

As I finished reading your post, a clear image of Butch Davis or Chuck Pagano came to my mind. I'm not really sure why other than it's time to take a step forward that isn't completely reactionary. Both involve some level of risk. But, I think either would succeed here almost immediately. You know the other two (or three) guys I'm curious about, but there are more variables there.

Tiny bit of hope is at least flickering now.

Lu, I don't understand the Pagano love. Help me out.

Have you heard of this thing called wikipedia? Look up his resume. Look who he coached under. Look at his defensive rankings as a DC in Baltimore. Look at his record as an NFL HC. Look at how many years and how many awesome coaches he worked for.

Then look at the resumes of college coaches who had similar backgrounds before taking their college gig. Then, if you can, find me 5 available coaches who have better resumes. When you are unable to do so, you will understand.

I posted in the other thread but he was a DC for 1 year at Baltimore, he's a career positions coach. Besides coaching at Miami, what does he bring to the table that is elite? He isn't an Xs and Os guy, he doesn't have the charisma or name. I'm just asking a question.

Advertisement
I finished reading this and it was like a summary of everything we've discussed over the years and sat through the FAU game discussing. Down to the Denzyl Perryman story that a guy like Tano and I talked about in detail once. It freaked me out then. It freaks me out now.

As I finished reading your post, a clear image of Butch Davis or Chuck Pagano came to my mind. I'm not really sure why other than it's time to take a step forward that isn't completely reactionary. Both involve some level of risk. But, I think either would succeed here almost immediately. You know the other two (or three) guys I'm curious about, but there are more variables there.

If the people who can't get over their issues with Butch get their way, I think Pagano is the closest approach to what we'd see with Butch. I don't prefer it, as it's increased risk, but I'm commenting on what I envision is most likely. I'm more intrigued by Hue Jackson than I am Coach Pagano. And, I'm far more intrigued by the two up and comers. Both have that Patterson and Sumlin vibe to them.

If I'm the one doing the hiring, I interview Justin Fuente no matter what. Really curious what he envisions as the HBC at Miami. I'll tell you what I envision with Kaaya and Allison as his QBs...

Pain. For the ACC.

1)Do you have any idea of their price range?
2)If Kaaya isn't ready, what do you think of shirreff?

1) No
2) I love Shirreffs. He is much closer to Kaaya than Rosier in terms of talent. Huge, surprisingly athletic and smart with good passing ability.

If the people who can't get over their issues with Butch get their way, I think Pagano is the closest approach to what we'd see with Butch. I don't prefer it, as it's increased risk, but I'm commenting on what I envision is most likely. I'm more intrigued by Hue Jackson than I am Coach Pagano. And, I'm far more intrigued by the two up and comers. Both have that Patterson and Sumlin vibe to them.

If I'm the one doing the hiring, I interview Justin Fuente no matter what. Really curious what he envisions as the HBC at Miami. I'll tell you what I envision with Kaaya and Allison as his QBs...

Pain. For the ACC.

bb52bc2bdace37200c4014ce4ab25a32.jpg

Have you heard of this thing called wikipedia? Look up his resume. Look who he coached under. Look at his defensive rankings as a DC in Baltimore. Look at his record as an NFL HC. Look at how many years and how many awesome coaches he worked for.

Then look at the resumes of college coaches who had similar backgrounds before taking their college gig. Then, if you can, find me 5 available coaches who have better resumes. When you are unable to do so, you will understand.

I posted in the other thread but he was a DC for 1 year at Baltimore, he's a career positions coach. Besides coaching at Miami, what does he bring to the table that is elite? He isn't an Xs and Os guy, he doesn't have the charisma or name. I'm just asking a question.

So running the number 3 total and scoring defense in the NFL means he isn't an X's and O's guy? He was only a DC for one year bc he immediately got hired away. You know who was an NFL DC for only 2 years? Butch Davis.

You think he doesn't have a name???? He's AN NFL HEAD COACH. Every kid who plays football, on this earth, has seen him on TV multiple times.

He has as much charisma as Butch, or Jimbo, or Saban, or Dantonio, or Patterson, or Chip Kelly. Who cares?

Let the gentlemen of the boards know that DiegoCane is an unabashed James Coley lover. Clearly, how well a man flirts matters to him.

Advertisement

Pain. For the ACC.

I think Herman is more of a QB master. His last three QB's have been top ten. Kaaya would win the heisman with him in year one.

Pain. For the ACC.

IMO, Pagano doesn't bring anything elite to the table.

We have a huge advantage being in SFla that it is about time we take advantage of. We haven't done it in over 10 years. He we need to interview Herman and Fuente, if we don't its a failure.

Pain. For the ACC.

I think Herman is more of a QB master. His last three QB's have been top ten. Kaaya would win the heisman with him in year one.

All of his QBs have been very athletic, no? You may know more about this than I do, but is there a history of Herman working with a Kaaya-like passer? If not, might be more of a curve there. Now, let me be clear: that's no reason to avoid hiring a guy like that. Just answering to the specific post about what he'd do for Kaaya and asking the subsequent question.

Good assistants. That's the key. I'm sure great coaches would join his staff. Not No D and Paul Williams

Advertisement
All of his QBs have been very athletic, no? You may know more about this than I do, but is there a history of Herman working with a Kaaya-like passer? If not, might be more of a curve there. Now, let me be clear: that's no reason to avoid hiring a guy like that. Just answering to the specific post about what he'd do for Kaaya and asking the subsequent question.

This is a slight concern of mine. Not enough to avoid hiring a stud like Herman, but something to think about.

I saw Meyer try to adapt to Leak and Brantley. It was awkward. They won a championship with Leak, but he was more of a game-manager. The defense and Tebow gave that team their identity.

So running the number 3 total and scoring defense in the NFL means he isn't an X's and O's guy? He was only a DC for one year bc he immediately got hired away. You know who was an NFL DC for only 2 years? Butch Davis.

You think he doesn't have a name???? He's AN NFL HEAD COACH. Every kid who plays football, on this earth, has seen him on TV multiple times.

He has as much charisma as Butch, or Jimbo, or Saban, or Dantonio, or Patterson, or Chip Kelly. Who cares?

Let the gentlemen of the boards know that DiegoCane is an unabashed James Coley lover. Clearly, how well a man flirts matters to him.

I'm a Coley lover? I don't think I've ever said that, been pretty critical of him actually.

And again, Pagano 1 year as a DC was at 51 years old, he isn't an Xs and Os genius. Indy's D since he's taken over has been 26th, 21st, 11th, and this year dead last 31st.

Pain. For the ACC.

We have a huge advantage being in SFla that it is about time we take advantage of. We haven't done it in over 10 years. He we need to interview Herman and Fuente, if we don't its a failure.

- I think you're looking at a guy who's likely to recruit and assess talent with the same system Butch would.
- I think you're looking at a guy who'd turn over an offense to someone the way Butch did. A Dorsey-like offensive talent, if you will.
- I think you're looking at a guy who has a very, very good idea of what an elite defense should look like and what the players needed for that defense need to be able to do.
- I can't imagine a Pagano staff without very good coaches
- The rest is a crapshoot. Like I said, it's the closest thing I can think of to Butch's approach.

Not advocating for anyone because I just don't know enough. This is a time to learn some things. Your "elite" comment is not lost on me, lol. I've written countless posts about how coaches need an elite aspect.

Last edited:

#Dale

Advertisement

Pain. For the ACC.

I think Cardell Jones is a pure passer type guy. I don't know about all of his QB's other than the stat sheet though. I just like his attitude and style so I keep tipping things back to Herman. haha

This is a slight concern of mine. Not enough to avoid hiring a stud like Herman, but something to think about.

I saw Meyer try to adapt to Leak and Brantley. It was awkward. They won a championship with Leak, but he was more of a game-manager. The defense and Tebow gave that team their identity.

Great offensive coaches adapt to their situations. I don't think it would be problem with Herman. And its about time we bring in an elite dual-threat QB to Miami.

Great offensive coaches adapt to their situations. I don't think it would be problem with Herman. And its about time we bring in an elite dual-threat QB to Miami.

Not really "dual threat" in the classic sense, but Dwayne Lawson says "sup." He'll say a couple things to us when he's likely under Rich Rod's offense in the next couple years.

Advertisement

Pain. For the ACC.

- I think you're looking at a guy who's likely to recruit and assess talent with the same system Butch would.
- I think you're looking at a guy who'd turn over an offense to someone the way Butch did with Chud. A Dorsey-like offensive talent, if you will.
- I think you're looking at a guy who has a very, very good idea of what an elite defense should look like and what the players needed for that defense need to be able to do.
- I can't imagine a Pagano staff without very good coaches
- The rest is a crapshoot. Like I said, it's the closest thing I can think of to Butch's approach.

Not advocating for anyone because I just don't know enough. This is a time to learn some things. Your "elite" comment is not lost on me, lol. I've written countless posts about how coaches need an elite aspect.

Good response. For me Pagano hire would be like a Chud hire. Wouldn't excite me but would a wait and see.

For me, I look at all the offensive talent that has left the last 4-5 years. Getting an offense that takes advantage and utilizes that talent would make other coaches shake in their boots. I just imagine a fast break offense with Cook, Collins, Ridley, Coley, Rudolph, etc, it wouldn't be stopped. Putting up 50 pts a game would keep those kids home.

Miami is in a tough spot. Its a great job, but after a decade of neglect, outsiders just don't see it that way with the lack of support, facilities, identity, etc. I don't think hiring any of these American Conference hotshots is in the cards, but I don't think they are the right hires anyway. A lot of the names being thrown around right now are rather uninspiring (Schiano, Chudzinski, Cristobal).

We've fallen so far behind Florida State and Florida has seemingly put themselves on deck with the hire of McElwain as the next program up in the State of Florida rotation...that its going to be a big obstacle to overcome for the next coach. And its only one of many issues the school suffers from.

I don't know if Butch can win a championship here going forward - I'd like to think he could - but I do know, he could probably fix a lot of what ails Miami. And, if he's not the guy, Butch is likely the only guy that can at least put us into a position to win one. His ability to recruit, evaluate, coach, and surround himself with quality coaches is second to none and if Miami is going to work on a shoestring budget again, there just isn't another coach that could get to the same point Butch can.

Miami needs to overcome the identity crisis it currently has first and foremost. The program is so flaccid at the moment, its embarrassing. Its sad, that a 58-0 loss - the worst defeat in school history - isn't actually rock bottom for this university. We've been in Death Valley for years now and there is no salvation in sight with the higher level needs of the program like a new stadium, new administration, funding, etc. But there are some things the university can do to improve its immediate fortunes and its having a guy that doesn't need his hand held running the program, that knows what the identity and culture of the program SHOULD be and can (and has) make it work. That guy is Butch. I doubt he ends up the guy, he just sounds like an obvious immediate cure for what ails the things we can truly control, like the product on the field.

Like many, I would love to see Butch come back. I played poker with him a few years ago, and he said that the single greatest regret that he had in his professional career was leaving Miami. He wants back in badly, but I just don't see it happening though the tide could change. Anything is possible. He could get an interview, do well, and then be right in the thick of things. What I do know is that he wants this gig badly.

The ACC would be doing cold sweats if Butch got back with us. He would finish what he started 20 years ago and cut a swath of destruction through this putrid conference the likes of which have never been seen before. He stockpiled UNC with more future NFL draft picks in a few seasons than they had ever seen in half a century. Best talent evaluator anywhere, just team him up with a few forward-thinking hungry assistants and we are back in a hurry.

Here are my thoughts on what the new Staff will look like. An expect Mario Cristobal to be named the head coach but he will told that he needs to hire two killer DC's and a helluva of support staff; all for a reasonable sum (due to having to pay Al Golden's buyout)

I agree with Dmoney on the fact Miami needs to build a solid very well coached defense, which is why I think he reaches out Dave Aranda from Wisconsin. Aranda recruits Florida for Wisconsin an in 2 years has made tremendous enroads into Florida High school recruting. Aranda is also the first one to tell you that he sometimes does make a misjudgement in dline player evaluation an he needs to get better, which is something Cristobal can help with. Aranda's defense bring pressure on almost every play.

HC= Cristobal ($1.5 Million)
DC/Assoc HC = Dave Aranda ($750K)
LB Coach = Scott McCurley (Currently the Green Bay Packers asst LB Coach)($225K)
DL = Kevin Patrick ($200K)
DB = Hurley Brown (current Salary plus 10% retention bonus)

OC= Ken Dorsey (currently the Carolina Panthers QB Coach - has made Cam Newton into a Pro Style QB, which is a minor miracle)($500K)
WR =Kevin Beard (current Salary plus 15% retention bonus)
OL = Art Kehoe (yes he stays and between him and Mario they can fix the Oline performance problem overnight)(current Salary)
TE/Assoc HC = Larry Scott (current Salary plus 25% retention bonus)
RB = Ice Harris ( he stays because he can learn a lot from Ken Dorsey)(current Salary plus 15% retention bonus)

This is not a **** staff but they are a high quality staff with strong Miami ties and a lot of NFL experience that will translate into results quickly. An most importantly it is a staff Miami can afford. Both Coordinators would bring a tremendous amount of X's and O's knowledge an proven ability to implement that knowledge. Cristobal would just need to be a good CEO an set the direction of the program then step out of the way using what he learned under Nick Saban these last 2 years.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back