Thoughts on the 2021 UA Miami Camp

View as article
Mason Taylor reminds me of Chud in HS. Not kidding you. Not that fast, not super long. But always got open and never dropped a ball. Chud ended up being a 3rd team or Hon Mention All-American at UM. Only other offers were from Toledo and Bowling Green.

Advertisement
People saying Shemar looked big like trending towards DT big. I mentioned this months ago, and was shut down by some posters. He posted he was 6’5 249 I think, and that was months ago. I mean once he hits a college strength and conditioning program you could be looking at a 6’5 280 plus pound kid. Doesn’t sound like a DE in our scheme.

Is Kelly and Jones trending towards DL #1 and #2 in South Florida?

People saying Shemar looked big like trending towards DT big. I mentioned this months ago, and was shut down by some posters. He posted he was 6’5 249 I think, and that was months ago. I mean once he hits a college strength and conditioning program you could be looking at a 6’5 280 plus pound kid. Doesn’t sound like a DE in our scheme.

I don't think so. He's a big DE. His biggest issue to me is lateral movement. But he's a freak with size and straight-line speed.

As to your second question, I have Jones #1 and Kelly #2 right now but I haven't seen a full game of Stewart yet.

Advertisement

He's a DE. Think Chad Thomas, tall and long with a solid frame.

Duffus is the kind of OLinemen we should always recruit. Tall (6'4" >), heavy, big frame that can easily handle 305+ and strong already. From watching Gaynor and film of Rodriquez IMO they aren't the powerful centers we need in pass pro or the run game. Hope I'm wrong re Rodriguez because we can't afford anymore misses/developmental recruits on the OL.

I missed the first session of the day (OL/DL individual drills) because of my son's baseball game, a dominant 10-4 victory. Luckily, I was able to see the OL/DL one-on-ones and the rest of the groups. My thoughts below:

- Even with several top players missing, the DE group stood out figuratively and literally. Shemar Stewart (Pace), Kenyatta Jackson (Chaminade) and Nyjalik Kelly (Dillard) all looked the part of Playoff players. They have prototypical builds and move well. Kelly was the only one who competed in the 1-on-1s and he dominated with quickness, bend and strong hands. Dante Anderson (Homestead) and Francois Nolton (Edison) are more slender with more projection in their frames, but they still look like upper-P5 talents.

- The other top '22 group was the LBs. Local backers are usually light, but I was impressed with their size. Omar Graham (Stranahan) in particular is heavier than expected. Travious Lathan (Gulliver) also has a true LB build and performed the best in coverage, with multiple PBU's. I have some concerns about his physicality in pads but he is top-shelf in terms of pass defense. Wesley Bissanthe (Central) almost got a pick and stands out with his arm length. DeMario Tolan (Tohopekaliga/Kissimmee) looked like the smallest of the four and still measured at 6'2.5 and 205. Mekhi Mason (Pace) is a P5 recruit as an inside-thumper with size. Tray Brown (Gibbons) struggled a bit more in space. Mason Thomas (Gibbons) is probably more of 3-4 outside backer, but I was impressed with his athleticism. Legit upper-P5 talent.

- The '22 WR group is terrible but the '23 group is elite. In '22, the only real notable name of the local guys was Mike Jackson (Palmetto). He is fast but very small. Camden Brown (STA) is a physical specimen and probably a P5 player, although he's not a finished product. Cedrick Hawkins (Cocoa) was by far the best talent in that group. Jaylin Terzado (Champagnat) is a quality local option with speed. The '23 guys are a different story and should have several high 4*, 5* types. Brandon Innis (TRU Prep) has grown physically and looks college-ready right now. Very polished and confident game. Jalen Brown (Gulliver) has more development ahead of him, but his speed is elite, he's a natural receiver and his frame has a bit more room to grow than I expected. Hykeem Williams (Stranahan) is built like Dwayne Bowe already. He looked a bit raw with anything other than a go-route. Santana Fleming (Carol City) is smallish but separated better than anyone at camp. Andy Jean (Northwestern) is really lanky and looks a lot like Romello Brinson physically, with more straight-line speed.

- The DB group was weak for several reasons, including a local drought and top players like Jacolby Spells (AMH) and Trevell Mullen (Coconut Creek) sitting out the competitive drills. Cam Miller (Fernandina Beach) looked the part of a 4* corner with length and confidence. Marquis Lymon (Atlantic) is a very good player but appears overweight. He looked like a FB or LB. He's naturally stocky, but he would be even twitchier if he dropped some of his excess weight. The most impressive local DB who competed was Elijah McCantos (Edison). He challenged Innis and the other top guys and paired solid size with very good footwork and ability to turn.

- The OL group was only OK outside of a leaned out Julian Armella (Columbus). Keep an eye on Chaminade. They had numerous '23 OL who really impressed, including @gogeta4 favorite Deandre Duffus. At DT, Daniel Lyons (Homestead) was the most impressive local guy from a weak crop. He's not college-ready yet and will benefit from next-level strength and conditioning. Very talented.

- I came away impressed with Mason Taylor (STA). He has solid size and excellent bloodlines. His gauntlet drill performance may have been the best of the day. While he may lack of elite receiving talent, he has good hands and is well-schooled.
Your son's team needs to tighten up that bullpen.

Advertisement
Duffus is the kind of OLinemen we should always recruit. Tall (6'4" >), heavy, big frame that can easily handle 305+ and strong already. From watching Gaynor and film of Rodriquez IMO they aren't the powerful centers we need in pass pro or the run game. Hope I'm wrong re Rodriguez because we can't afford anymore misses/developmental recruits on the OL.
Someone on this board coached him....

Name rhymes with DROP FOE.

Here is the footage. One guy I forgot to mention in the OP is Nathanial "Ray Ray" Joseph (Edison). He is another true big-timer for the Class of '2023.

Diaz's poor son got one rep on that first video and was arguably the worst on it :ROFLMAO:
Poor kid probably wanted to hop on his Playstation 5 for the day and Manny said " wake yo *** up, we got scouting to do" :ROFLMAO:

Diaz's poor son got one rep on that first video and was arguably the worst on it :ROFLMAO:
Poor kid probably wanted to hop on his Playstation 5 for the day and Manny said " wake yo *** up, we got scouting to do" :ROFLMAO:
Props to the kid for getting worked so his dad could get some facetime with some recruits in the middle of a pandemic created dead-period. Kid was a real trojan horse for the cause. 👊

Advertisement
Man Kelly is so quick. Innis is just another level from those other WR's. He would be WR 1 in 2022 and 2023. He could make plays on Greentree right now.

If Miami wants to topple Clemson, you got to land local STUD's like this. I guarantee you Clemson isn't signing a better DL than Kelly in 2022, and a WR more talented than Innis in 2023. Just like in 2020 Miami signed better RB's than Clemson(especially after Bowman departure), in 2021 Miami signed a better QB, better WR's and S's than Clemson.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back