Thoughts on spring practice #1

View as article
Disagree on OL depth, they don't even have a 2nd player who can snap a football.

There's a backup OT who hasn't played in a game, McCoy has played more TE than OL in games, and you lost Lee and Cohen.
I think Ryan Rodriguez is a good backup center.

Advertisement
You need your morning coffee. Rivers is the backup center and he played it fine. I'm sure Tripp could step in if truly needed, too. Both McCoy and Samson played enough and got enough praise from coaches for us to feel more than comfortable they can step in without a significant drop-off. And that's not even considering Kinlser, Bell and Chris Washington (though he's so deep on the depth chart now he may hit the portal). Our OL is very deep.
OL is the one position that should auto redshirt in the modern era, I'm not counting in a true freshman unless they're clearly Sisi good and even he false started more than your takes. JUCO transfers have a lot to learn as JUCO offenses are typically on par with a HS (Same for their S&C, nutrition, etc)

Rodriguez is the backup C and can't snap
Okunlola played 30 snaps all year, was then injured
Tripp couldn't handle C at IMG mentally or physically
Washington is depth... yeah like Titanic deep on the depth chart
Lou Cristobal stole reps from McCoy at OL which clearly was BS by Mario and I'd like to see him at OL more than TE in '24

You need your morning coffee. Rivers is the backup center and he played it fine. I'm sure Tripp could step in if truly needed, too. Both McCoy and Samson played enough and got enough praise from coaches for us to feel more than comfortable they can step in without a significant drop-off. And that's not even considering Kinlser, Bell and Chris Washington (though he's so deep on the depth chart now he may hit the portal). Our OL is very deep.
lol or how about literally the backup center from last season - Rodriguez…

Not sure what he wants out of our OL depth? Does he want us to have a backup OT, OG, and OC with 2 yrs starting experience? lol.
If center is the only real question regarding depth we are good there.

@DMoney regarding Floyd Boucard, based on his last name, he is likely from Montreal, QC in Canada and of Haitian descent. If he did so come form there, one of the top two region in Canada for football players and Canada in general seems to be sending more and more DIV 1 prospects.
Regarding his movement skills, in Canada, as everyone knows, we play 3 down football and the field is also bigger so speed and length and agility are premium over size and power.
I've played hockey for 10 years in Jr A prior to playing ball in Uni up here, and I don't how much that translated, other them initial explosion and cardio, but always good to have a diverse athletic background.

Never seen a Canadian kid take this type of route football wise, the vast majority play in prep schools in the Northeast, mainly upstate New York, especially to Mobile Alabama, that would be a massive adjustment culture wise, but he did it and now he's in Miami, and if he's of Haitian descent, sounds like SFL has a large diaspora of that.

Either way really interesting player and I think based on your summary, can slide into the Mesidor role (if he ever gets healthy) and keep the Maple Leaf at that position.

Advertisement
I like the Lofton news. Visions of 2back sets w/FB offset and beating overmatched LB’s down the seam. Can use Arroyo in that set too. Similar to Davenport TD WR3 and Shockley Rose Bowl…something that uses the middle third for crying out loud.

Go Canes!

My only regret in life is whatever post I made to get this ***** following me around. Take me back to that day lord, this name on my timeline every day is too much.
It's more than one post. You're not difficult to "follow" considering you are unemployed and typically in the first couple comments on new posts. Based upon your constant mopeness, safe to say you have many regrets in life and this is just another. Perhaps before you go placing a crown of self-imporance on your head by thinking I follow you, try a healthy dose of humility. You are the one putting facepalms on ALL of my comments, not me "bro." You are an internet troll who lives in your parents' garage and thinks picking on people on message boards gives you some sort of importance in society.

K?

Advertisement
It's more than one post. You're not difficult to "follow" considering you are unemployed and typically in the first couple comments on new posts. Based upon your constant mopeness, safe to say you have many regrets in life and this is just another. Perhaps before you go placing a crown of self-imporance on your head by thinking I follow you, try a healthy dose of humility. You are the one putting facepalms on ALL of my comments, not me "bro." You are an internet troll who lives in your parents' garage and thinks picking on people on message boards gives you some sort of importance in society.

K?
I apologize for whatever hurt you were caused. I'm not reading anything you write move around.

Roster isn’t perfect, but the more that comes out the more I think to myself that WR isn’t as big a need as I thought it would be. We might need some experienced depth, but S,CB,DT seem like far bigger needs to me if we’re picking and choosing.

Health permitted, riding into the season with a top 7 rotation of JoJo, George, X, Horton, RayRay, Carr, Robbie is very talented. Wonder how good Kirk can be also.

K?
And you can just ignore him from now on.

K Thx

Coming into spring

Bullish:
QB room
TE production
LB room
WRs
OL depth

Bearish:
Safeties
DTs
CBs
RBs
Front 4 pass rush
Tough with only 2 categories, but the LB group is thin. I like the freshmen, except for the fact they are freshmen.

I think our pass rush, esp in more obvious situations where Bain will move inside will be a strength.

Advertisement
Coming into spring

Bullish:
QB room
TE production
LB room
WRs
OL depth

Bearish:
Safeties
DTs
CBs
RBs
Front 4 pass rush
Worried about the front 4 pass rush? I actually think this unit has the potential to be one of the best in America. Expect lots of packages with Bain/Mesidor sliding inside too. If any worry on DL it’s the need for gap fillers. Need another true space eater to take on doubles in the 0 gap to free up LBs on run plays.

Kelly, Mesidor, Alston, Bain, Wayne, JHH, Clark, Cook, Horton, Moten, Malik, Gore - lots of talent there.
Then add in the freshman - Scott, Lightfoot, Pickett, AJ, Blount, Rudolph, Cole & Dylan.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back