Thoughts on Ivins mock class

I hate these Canes reporters who try too hard to be doomy because they want to be perceived as arms-length and not be accused of being a homer. They always go overboard with the doom and gloom to play to the miserable fanbase.

Give me some DMoney homer list ****! This is recruiting, and this is my team. Recruiting is about hope and regeneration and homerism, not some kunty Notre Dame arms-length pvssy **** like this.

Advertisement
I think Lashlee, Likens, and Justice are going to get 40ppg from this offense. People are worried about the o-line but having King at QB and having the defense spread out outside the hashes will be beneficial in 10 different ways. ****, the new kicker would have won us UF, UNC, and VT if he were kicking last year. This **** will translate to wins. I think we’ll hit on guys like Brinson and Kinchens if we win 10 games. It would help if we could blow some teams out instead of barely beating them.

I agree with most of what you said. Golden and Shannon were tenured too long, but there are reasons why.

Shannon coached 4 years from 2007-2010. In his first 3 years he went 5-7, 7-6, and 9-4. So, after his 3rd season, you think he has the program turned around, but then in 2010 the team goes 7-5 and Shannon is let go.

Al Golden coached at Miami from 2011-2015 taking over for Randy Shannon. In his first 3 years, Golden went 6-6, 7-5, and 9-4. Very similar to Shannon. In Golden's 4th year the team went 6-7. In his last season in 2015, Golden was fired after going 4-3 and the embarrassing loss to Clemson.

So, looking at both Shannon and Golden, ask yourself when should they have been fired? The only thing anyone could realistically say is that Golden should have been fired after the 2014 season. Both Shannon and Golden had 9-4 records in their 3rd year. Looking at it from an AD's perspective, you think these guys had turned the corner with the program, but didn't. And to be fair, Golden came in during the Nevin Shapiro scandal which had a huge impact on the program.

Looking at Dabo Swinney, he became the head coach at Clemson in the middle of the 2008 season when Tommy Bowden resigned. Dabo finished 2008 with a 4-3 record. He goes 9-5 in 2009. You think he's off to great start to his career, but goes 6-7 in his 3rd season. Should Clemson have fired him? Obviously, they didn't. He goes 10-4 in 2011, but suffers a humiliating loss to West Virginia 70-33. He rebounds in 2012 going 11-2 and never wins less than 10 games ever again. The rest as they say is history.

So, looking at the 3 coaches, Dabo had the worst record in his 3rd year and could have easily been fired. After all, he was just a WR coach of 4 years with zero head coaching experience prior to being named head coach at Clemson. If fired, Dabo could have easily been a Randy Shanon or an Al Golden. Clemson just got lucky taking a chance on a guy with zero head coaching experience in house.

Ironically, Manny Diaz is similar to Dabo Swinney in that they both became head coaches at schools they were on staff prior to their hire. Diaz had much more experience having been a defensive coordinator at several schools. Like Dabo, Manny is a good salesman. Is Dabo a better x's and o's coach. Probably not. Dabo has surrounded himself with very good people that have been with him a long time. He has established the culture he wants and is reaping the benefits in recruiting and titles. Let's see if Manny can do the same.

Looking at it all., IMO, we have just been unlucky the last 3 head coaches have all showed promise including Richt with his 10-3 2017 season. We have forgotten (maybe a good thing) how much the Nevin Shapiro scandal hurt the program. It allowed FSU, Clemson, Alabama, etc to plant a flag in our back yard. Now, we need to get them off our property. We do that by winning which will gradually get our top kids to stay home.

Going 9-4 in year 3 in the ACC Coastal is turning things around? Seriously?

TBH, there really wasn’t any reason to be sold on Richt after the 10-3 season in 2017. All Richt had really shown at that point is that he could make Miami a top 20 team, and there was still plenty of reason to wonder if he could take us any further than that. (Although a regression to 7-6 in 2018 wasn’t particularly expected.)

But being sold on Shannon and Golden after year 3 is all the worse. They were 21-17 and 22-15, respectively. Golden’s 9-4 season was about as bad as a 9-4 season could possibly be.

Advertisement
I think Lashlee, Likens, and Justice are going to get 40ppg from this offense. People are worried about the o-line but having King at QB and having the defense spread out outside the hashes will be beneficial in 10 different ways. ****, the new kicker would have won us UF, UNC, and VT if he were kicking last year. This **** will translate to wins. I think we’ll hit on guys like Brinson and Kinchens if we win 10 games. It would help if we could blow some teams out instead of barely beating them.

Once this offense gets going, watch out. Assuming the schedule stays the same, opening with Temple/Wagner/UAB is a blessing before MSU and ACC play.

Going 9-4 in year 3 in the ACC Coastal is turning things around? Seriously?

TBH, there really wasn’t any reason to be sold on Richt after the 10-3 season in 2017. All Richt had really shown at that point is that he could make Miami a top 20 team, and there was still plenty of reason to wonder if he could take us any further than that. (Although a regression to 7-6 in 2018 wasn’t particularly expected.)

But being sold on Shannon and Golden after year 3 is all the worse. They were 21-17 and 22-15, respectively. Golden’s 9-4 season was about as bad as a 9-4 season could possibly be.
I'm just explaining why each coach's tenure lasted as it did. I'm not advocating for any of these coaches. I didn't say they turned things around. I said it looked liked they did. From an administration perspective, you're not going to fire Shannon or Golden after winning 9 games. When the previous season was frar worse. It just explains how we got here.

Once this offense gets going, watch out. Assuming the schedule stays the same, opening with Temple/Wagner/UAB is a blessing before MSU and ACC play.
Couldn’t agree more. Last year was a **** show with all our cupcakes in the middle of ACC play 3 bye weeks. Now we get to start out with the G5 teams before league play.

Manny never will be the recruiter of dabo's level. He has the bible thumping and the good ole boy oh shucks down to a pattern.

Dabo also initially has put real good guys around him because honestly he isnt really a good xs and o guy. Manny has filled his side of staff with a bunch of GA's level coaches...which was strange to me anyway.

But the one thing Manny has is the s.fla location...if that mfer hit and we go on a 2 year high winning seasons..the ball starts to roll on its own here.
I cant believe some of manny’s hires

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back