Thoughts From the Bench Press: Temple

JHallCanes

2028 is our year
Premium
Alright my brothers and sisters, it’s time to grab those Muscle Milks and make yourself a nice postworkout Trenbologna sandwich and get prepped up for our first road test of the season: Temple.

Last week we basically tossed in a Jane Fonda workout tape and grabbed a Body Blade. Richard Simmons works up a bigger sweat than we did against Bethune Cookman.

Probably the most important part of last weeks game was zero injuries, but also giving guys like Kam, Fletcher, Akeem, Deen etc a week off without a bye. Unfortunately I have no idea who is actually playing this week so it makes the analysis a bit difficult.

When it comes to working out and the Temple Owls there’s one main theme that keeps popping up in my head:

Discipline

People usually fall off of a workout routine when something changes. Job, kids, schedule…something switches and we don’t have enough discipline to adapt. We fail ourselves because we aren’t prepared.

This is something we’ve seen from the Miami Hurricanes for decades.

In a similar situation last year against Southern Miss (albeit at home), we came out sloppy, unprepared, unmotivated, and frankly bored. It was a huge red flag early in the season and that carried with us for the rest of the year.

This year I expect a completely different story because of our coaching staff. So here’s what I see as the keys to this game against Temple:

COACHING TRAVELS

Guidry
: Dawson has been getting a lot of love (for good reason) and Guidrys defense stats don’t all jump off the page, but this does not tell the story of what we are seeing on D. These guys are playing football. Fast, aggressive, and disciplined. You don’t see guys out there over-thinking. They’re using their gifts and even without some of our best players, you can see how well prepared Guidry has them.

Dawson: Not much needs said at this point but the guy just keeps things simple, while also being creative. These are the types of coaches that pull off big road wins (hint hint FSU). Playing at Temple won’t be anything like FSU, but making things easy on his QB is what Dawson does best. I don’t expect any difficulties being out the of the routine.

Parrish: I expect Temple to pick the run game as their poison, and short intermediate passing. Parrish will set the tone early with a TD on the first drive.

Riley Williams: One thing we haven’t shown much on offense yet is attacking the D with the tight ends (PAUSE). This is another wrinkle defenses in the ACC will need to worry about and Riley Williams is the total package. I look for him to score his first TD in this game, or at least become more involved as we work towards opening up our playbook even more.

Jaden Davis: Not much needs said at this point about his play this year, but this is the game where I think the D gets a couple of interceptions. So far we’ve actually faced some solid QBs that have been making good decisions and less risk, but Warner is a bit more of a gun slinger. We will get some pressure on him and he will force the issue leading to a couple of turnovers.

Prediction:

If I knew the status of our DL it would be easier to predict since Temple has a good running back that could complicate things.

Good guys 38
Bad guys 10

IMG_0232.jpeg

Advertisement
Alright my brothers and sisters, it’s time to grab those Muscle Milks and make yourself a nice postworkout Trenbologna sandwich and get prepped up for our first road test of the season: Temple.

Last week we basically tossed in a Jane Fonda workout tape and grabbed a Body Blade. Richard Simmons works up a bigger sweat than we did against Bethune Cookman.

Probably the most important part of last weeks game was zero injuries, but also giving guys like Kam, Fletcher, Akeem, Deen etc a week off without a bye. Unfortunately I have no idea who is actually playing this week so it makes the analysis a bit difficult.

When it comes to working out and the Temple Owls there’s one main theme that keeps popping up in my head:

Discipline

People usually fall off of a workout routine when something changes. Job, kids, schedule…something switches and we don’t have enough discipline to adapt. We fail ourselves because we aren’t prepared.

This is something we’ve seen from the Miami Hurricanes for decades.

In a similar situation last year against Southern Miss (albeit at home), we came out sloppy, unprepared, unmotivated, and frankly bored. It was a huge red flag early in the season and that carried with us for the rest of the year.

This year I expect a completely different story because of our coaching staff. So here’s what I see as the keys to this game against Temple:

COACHING TRAVELS

Guidry
: Dawson has been getting a lot of love (for good reason) and Guidrys defense stats don’t all jump off the page, but this does not tell the story of what we are seeing on D. These guys are playing football. Fast, aggressive, and disciplined. You don’t see guys out there over-thinking. They’re using their gifts and even without some of our best players, you can see how well prepared Guidry has them.

Dawson: Not much needs said at this point but the guy just keeps things simple, while also being creative. These are the types of coaches that pull off big road wins (hint hint FSU). Playing at Temple won’t be anything like FSU, but making things easy on his QB is what Dawson does best. I don’t expect any difficulties being out the of the routine.

Parrish: I expect Temple to pick the run game as their poison, and short intermediate passing. Parrish will set the tone early with a TD on the first drive.

Riley Williams: One thing we haven’t shown much on offense yet is attacking the D with the tight ends (PAUSE). This is another wrinkle defenses in the ACC will need to worry about and Riley Williams is the total package. I look for him to score his first TD in this game, or at least become more involved as we work towards opening up our playbook even more.

Jaden Davis: Not much needs said at this point about his play this year, but this is the game where I think the D gets a couple of interceptions. So far we’ve actually faced some solid QBs that have been making good decisions and less risk, but Warner is a bit more of a gun slinger. We will get some pressure on him and he will force the issue leading to a couple of turnovers.

Prediction:

If I knew the status of our DL it would be easier to predict since Temple has a good running back that could complicate things.

Good guys 38
Bad guys 10

View attachment 257898
One word for the defense. "TACKLING" is no longer optional

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Alright my brothers and sisters, it’s time to grab those Muscle Milks and make yourself a nice postworkout Trenbologna sandwich and get prepped up for our first road test of the season
Say less. Didn’t need to read anything after this sentence to know we fuccin

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back