Those who were saying that Flagg was too slow to be effective...

Advertisement
Instincts and angles and shedding blocks > speed at LB in college.
Exactly. In limited viewing, it’s obvious that Flagg diagnoses plays quicker than McCloud or Jennings. He seems comfortable in the position as a freshman; meanwhile, our 5th year senior looks like a deer in headlights every few plays.

Flagg doesn’t have to be super fast if he makes the right reads quickly — which he does.

Can’t coach instincts. He sees the game well. Natural LB. Just feels the game. Plays inside out and slides well into between blockers. Doesn’t attach himself to the OL. I like what I see so far.

If we use him correctly, he should continue to progress. If a player lacks speed - but has great instincts and feel, they can still play on an elite level.
Plus, I’d wager that Feeley will enhance his agility over time. He looks like the real deal. Play him now!

I just have to ask - if he didn’t look slow vs Clemson, and he didn’t, what team are we going to play that makes him looks slow?
The only 2 we already saw in Clemson and Louisville. I was much more afraid of their backs getting to the outside than what we have left.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back