Thomas Holley visiting next week

Advertisement
19.jpg

Advertisement
How may DT's is Miami taking in 2014? And why do they only have 6 offers out at DT?

Interior linemen on both sides are very hard to predict. Most so-called elite HS linemen dominate as a result of height and weight advantages, they're not necessarily great athletes. Most have weight and energy/laziness problems (e.g., Bain), and may not have the self-discipline/motivation to develop well in college. We saw this last year with a drop-off in production for Bryant, and that Bain was moved to OL. I'm stereotyping here, but have noted that in general, DTs also struggle academically.

So the coaches really do need to be careful in whom they offer, especially considering this is a down year for DTs both in-state and nationally. I think they've offered the right top 3 guys in Clark, Valentine and Holley. Hopefully we close on all three, and find some Plan 1A options in case any don't work out. We also need at least 1 elite Juco DT, and those guys are very hard to find. I see us taking 3+1 Juco this year to make up for the gap we created in missing out on Bostwick and Bryant last class. There has to be attrition by at least a couple of the current guys if they keep playing at the level they're at now.

Last edited:
Advertisement
How may DT's is Miami taking in 2014? And why do they only have 6 offers out at DT?

Interior linemen on both sides are very hard to predict. Most so-called elite HS linemen dominate as a result of height and weight advantages, they're not necessarily great athletes. Most have weight and energy/laziness problems (e.g., Bain), and may not have the self-discipline/motivation to develop well in college. We saw this last year with a drop-off in production for Bryant, and that Bain was moved to OL. I'm stereotyping here, but have noted that in general, DTs also struggle academically.

So the coaches really do need to be careful in whom they offer, especially considering this is a down year for DTs both in-state and nationally. I think they've offered the right top 3 guys in Clark, Valentine and Holley. Hopefully we close on all three, and find some Plan 1A options in case any don't work out. We also need at least 1 elite Juco DT, and those guys are very hard to find. I see us taking 3+1 Juco this year to make up for the gap we created in missing out on Bostwick and Bryant last class. There has to be attrition by at least a couple of the current guys if they keep playing at the level they're at now.
they have offered a lot more DT's since I asked that question

really need two high school kids so they can redshirt and two juco's to step in right away. if 4 is too many that means al and company need to sack up and send some dead weight packing. I would even take more than that if we had the scholarship room if they were projected upgrades over current players.

cutting kids loose may not be popular, but it is part of being an elite program.

really need two high school kids so they can redshirt and two juco's to step in right away. if 4 is too many that means al and company need to sack up and send some dead weight packing. I would even take more than that if we had the scholarship room if they were projected upgrades over current players.

cutting kids loose may not be popular, but it is part of being an elite program.

dude we are going to have 8 returning players at DT we cant take 4

if 4 is too many that means al and company need to sack up and send some dead weight packing. I would even take more than that if we had the scholarship room if they were projected upgrades over current players. cutting kids loose may not be popular, but it is part of being an elite program.

let me cut out the part you apparently didn't read past, and increase the font on the rest of what i said. just because 8 people are coming back doesn't mean 8 capable players are coming back. from the looks of it, we have 1 capable player coming back, with a few question marks, and at least one who values xbox a little too highly.

Advertisement

I wouldn't be shocked if we took 4 DTs (1 JUCO and 3 HS Seniors/Prep). People confuse a lot of things about our DTs (which is obvious because our fan base is stupid), we have some DTs people just may not be happy with the talent at the position.

Here is the 2014 DT Depth Chart (w/o any kids from this class)

Pierre (Sr)
Ivery (Jr)
Moore (Jr)
King (Rd-Jr)

Then you have these DL who may be tackles or ends

Hamilton (Jr)
Grimble (Sr)

And although he might be a DE (tremendous one)

Ufomba Kamalu 6'5 280 JUCO might be thrown inside.

So you bring in a JUCO and 3 HS/Prep and the numbers are looking better.

4 is the right amount in total IMO. Maybe a big DE who might project as a DT (Similar to Ufomba Kamalu) if he outgrows the end.

I'm thinking 3-4 DTs this cycle. I'm just hoping they're not Corey King roster-fillers and are impact guys who weren't backup plans.

Advertisement
i think 2 good jucos 2 highschool

I am not against this, especially if a kid left early (a la Pierre). The thing is we need for the long term as well (2015/16) so I think we would be best bringing in 3 HS/Prep regardless of JUCOs. Not every kid we bring in (duh) is not guaranteed to be a quality player, especially at DT.

All high school defensive linemen are suspect with their technique.

They are so physically superior that they don't have to concern themselves with hand placement, leverage, or discipline.

It's the thing that really separates Nkemdiche from recent, big time defensive linemen. Nkemdiche has the athleticism AND is a technician.

Holley is more than adequate enough to get the coaching once he comes on campus

City kids tend to like the U. I remember the last kid we signed from Brooklyn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQt8qy318Wg

Yet when he was here people couldn't hate on Leon enough. The kid still had an NFL career. He was a monster in the high school all-star game.

And before him, we had Stephen McGuire, who ran FSU into the ground two successive years. Sandwiched in between was a decent starting linebacker named Robert Bass.

All from Brooklyn.

Advertisement
Back