This time last year...?

Who cares about recruiting rankings, the majority of these rankings are based on est work, all that matters is who wins on the field come game night. People got to many emotions tied to recruiting class rankings, when its based on needs and system fits. Who are these nerds that give these players rankings. How do they come up with who the 247th ranked player is or no. 50 when none of them have played a sown of college football. Than when a players starts balling they say "he was rated too low" by the nerd sites they screaming about he's out playing his ranking, how bout NO, they got it wrong, or if the player is rated high and plays like trash than they say, he's not living up to his ranking, how bout NO, they got it wrong. A player is not playing above or below the *** star rankings, they are playing the way they play. You either a balla or you're not.

This class is about reinforcements to the class before, so far so good.

@Calvin; first off, solid post and 2nd...welcome to the board.

There is something to rankings, though. Is it an exact science? No. But teams that consistently put up top recruiting classes based upon player rankings tend to be in discussion for BCS and now playoff title contention. Are there outliers? Of course. Just look at the TCUs, Wisconsins, Ok Sts, and K Sts to name a few...but consistently, the top recruiting classes year after year have jockeyed for playoff contention. Our class rankings is important to a degree.

But, I prefer player development or star rankings. Is it possible to obtain both? For sure. That’s why I’m anxious to see what our staff can do w highly ranked guys.

Advertisement
If we beat LSU and get the momentum going again like last year, I think we'll see spots filling up fast. We lost 3 in a row and looked like crap against a couple other teams at the end. Need to prove we' belong in the discussion. ... If we do start picking up steam, I expect a couple of kids currently committed to end up elsewhere. So this ranking issue is very fluid, could go into the 5-10 range with another ACCCG appearance, or could end up 15-20 with a poor showing on the field.

Exactly

I just want a 90 overall class. To me that should be the goal as long as we getting the amount that we want.

Too optimistic, an update has passed and none were upgraded. I do Agree that we do have several 3 stars who should be 4 stars right now in brooks, Williams, harvey
I think he means after players have their senior years, especially the Brooks and Munoz's who didn't have junior years.

I know I posted this elsewhere but I feel like this fits better here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This RIGHT HERE, tells me I want good evaluations of players that want it rather than lazy ones and star chasing.

Ain’t gotta look any further than our own conference to realize that. Get the right players, not the right rankings.

FSU
Year Class Rank Finish
2010 8th 10-4
2011 2nd 9-4
2012 4th 12-2
2013 11th 14-0 NAT CHAMP G
2014 4th 13-1
2015 3rd 10-3
2016 3rd 10-3
2017 6th 7-6

Clemson
Year Class Rank Finish
2010 27th 6-7
2011 10th 10-4
2012 20th 11-2
2013 15th 11-2
2014 16th 10-3
2015 9th 14-1 NAT CHAMP G
2016 11th 14-1 NCG
2017 16th 12-2 NCG

Advertisement
I hope Mark Richt understands just how important this class is.... Like if we approach this lightly (Like we already have) when we play Bama... Goodluck.

I know I posted this elsewhere but I feel like this fits better here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This RIGHT HERE, tells me I want good evaluations of players that want it rather than lazy ones and star chasing.

Ain’t gotta look any further than our own conference to realize that. Get the right players, not the right rankings.

FSU
Year Class Rank Finish
2010 8th 10-4
2011 2nd 9-4
2012 4th 12-2
2013 11th 14-0 NAT CHAMP G
2014 4th 13-1
2015 3rd 10-3
2016 3rd 10-3
2017 6th 7-6

Clemson
Year Class Rank Finish
2010 27th 6-7
2011 10th 10-4
2012 20th 11-2
2013 15th 11-2
2014 16th 10-3
2015 9th 14-1 NAT CHAMP G
2016 11th 14-1 NCG
2017 16th 12-2 NCG

Nice breakdown. FSU was definitely chasing stars with Jimbo and not the right guys.

IMO, in order to win a Natty, you need to find the right QB and compliment that with the right pieces around him (usually highly rated kids mixed with some gems/sleepers).

You saw that with Clemson and Watson, FSU with Winston, Auburn with Cam, Texas with Young, USC with Leinart, etc.

Only exception is Bama who is so loaded elsewhere they can get away with a subpar QB.

I honestly believe we are very close to having all the necessary complimentary pieces in place, just need to find the right QB.

Nice breakdown. FSU was definitely chasing stars with Jimbo and not the right guys.

IMO, in order to win a Natty, you need to find the right QB and compliment that with the right pieces around him (usually highly rated kids mixed with some gems/sleepers).

You saw that with Clemson and Watson, FSU with Winston, Auburn with Cam, Texas with Young, USC with Leinart, etc.

Only exception is Bama who is so loaded elsewhere they can get away with a subpar QB.

I honestly believe we are very close to having all the necessary complimentary pieces in place, just need to find the right QB.
Jarren.....
Jarren...
Jarren..
Jarren! lol

We were a couple points away from top 5 last year(less than 5 actually) had we landed Campbell or jobe we would have been top 5. 6-10 is the reasonable range Miami should always be in. Don’t know if anyone noticed but they are underrating a lot of Florida kids period right now in the rankings the past couple of years. Look at the 5 star rankings by state Georgia has like 9 this year including Nolan smith who plays in Florida but is from Georgia whereas Florida only has 3 5 stars. That sh*t is crazy. With that being said since most of our guys are from Florida they won’t get the proper acknowledgement in rankings and that’s become very apparent recently

They are doing that because uga was hot last year. They ranked the ga kids high...most would be uga candidates...which sells subscriptions to the uga fan base...thats how it works.

Advertisement
While it's a fact that signing more 4 and 5 star players tends to have a positive on field impact, I wouldn't get too caught up in class rankings. Why is one 4 star guy ranked so much higher than another? How do their ratings go up and down even after their senior season is over? It's because people pay a lot of money for these recruiting websites and the websites need to justify their prices with content.

For example, Miami's average recruiting class rankings (according to a combination of Rivals and 247 composite) over the last five years is 17. This puts them behind such notable powerhouses as: Texas (14), Florida State (4), LSU (6), Florida (13), Texas A&M (10), UCLA (15) and hot garbage Tennessee (12)

According to the recruiting websites, those teams have all out recruited Miami over the last 5 years. With the exception of maybe FSU, do any of those teams have a roster as talented as Miami's right now? Don't get too caught up in whether the class is ranked 8th or 15th. If you're not careful, you'll end up like the losers on Gaytor bait cheering for a top ten recruiting ranking while their team goes 4-8 on the field.

Advertisement
Back