This Team's a Big Disappointment

Call it whatever you like. Don't really give a ****. Myself while I'll certainly defend Mario I also hold him accountable for his issues. Yall should do the same with coach L. He's never (here atleast)built a team with any size. I won't argue for coach Hamilton and what he did here without any support at all. You my friend are a blatant moron if you think this team has no support and no resources. Nil is arguably more important to basketball than it is football & its certainly not an issue for us. Funny **** to say I'm going out of my way to hurt the program cause I finally make several comments on a message board for us. Unless ur saying that over my nephew and if so **** all the way off. My nephew is 7ft and a dominant inside force. He's a **** good shooter and amazing distributor. You would let your family come to a program that sees no value in size? If so that's on u.

Apparently you should stick to football. It seems you know less than nothing about basketball or the basketball program.

Weird you wouldn’t want your nephew to have a chance to play for the coach whose center leads the acc in double doubles.

Advertisement
Apparently you should stick to football. It seems you know less than nothing about basketball or the basketball program.

Weird you wouldn’t want your nephew to have a chance to play for the coach whose center leads the acc in double doubles.
You really should stop. Cause now you wanna tout the accolades of 6'7 omier and call him a center. The lone presence who even attempts to go after a rebound. Omier is a beast. Thank God the kid has the motor and the length that he has. Don't forget the team has no support or resources. So clearly that nil that got him in the first place and then upping him and pack bag to get them to come back and Cleveland to come in the first place. Amazing how zero support or resources work. Guess you don't see this teams success coinciding with nil starting up. Strange right.

Last edited:
You really should stop. Cause now you wanna tout the accolades of 6'7 omier and call him a center. The lone presence who even attempts to go after a rebound. Omier is a beast. Thank God the kid has the motor and the length that he has.
Must not have much faith in your nephew if you don’t think he could do as well here as a 6’7 guy.

Incredibly pathetic that you are bashing L and badmouthing Miami to your “nephew”.

The crazy thing is this team is a buzzer beat against the Cuse and a bad loss to Louisville away from being in 2nd place in the ACC and prob 20-25 in the country

Now all that being said we still need to rip off a 4/5 stretch to really get back in the top 1/3 since it looks like the ACC is once again just going to beat up each other

It's not the team that's a disappointment. You all simply won't call a spade a spade. Buddy has recruited virtually zero size and prioritized an average scorer as the primary scorer. They're not capable of playing the same game as the previous two seasons because we don't have a impact scorer and all these under sized guards are simply average. Pack should be the priority as a shooter and George should be the second option. Wooga poplar is not some high value scorer. If Mario was the basketball coach and had recruited this team and done the dumb **** coach l continues to do this season he'd be crucified. I get it hes had a he'll of a career and has took this program to new levels. But the way this team has been built is a joke. He's recruiting my nephew and I told him and my nephew not a chance in **** he's coming here.
Final 4 and Elite 8 the last 2 years. Mario is 12-13, got blown out by MTSU, Duke, Clemson and FSU his first year, then blew the GT game because he was too stupid to take a knee. ****, keep your Mario worshipping to the football board, it gets OLD

Advertisement
Final 4 and Elite 8 the last 2 years. Mario is 12-13, got blown out by MTSU, Duke, Clemson and FSU his first year, then blew the GT game because he was too stupid to take a knee. ****, keep your Mario worshipping to the football board, it gets OLD
What’s so weird and awful is that L does everything he can to help and support Mario and football.

What @Brooklyndee is doing is just incredibly stupid or spiteful. And what’s worse is he doesn’t have a clue.

Weird for him to say L doesn’t want size but Miami is recruiting his nephew (and he’s telling his nephew not! to consider Miami - and calling the winningest coach in Miami basketball history coming off a final four appearance a “corpse”).

Apocryphal.

What’s so weird and awful is that L does everything he can to help and support Mario and football.

What @Brooklyndee is doing is just incredibly stupid or spiteful. And what’s worse is he doesn’t have a clue.

Weird for him to say L doesn’t want size but Miami is recruiting his nephew (and he’s telling his nephew not! to consider Miami - and calling the winningest coach in Miami basketball history coming off a final four appearance a “corpse”).

Apocryphal.
If his nephew was a football star, he'd be all but demanding he go to Miami and play for a .500 career coach though. He clearly has an agenda and isn't all about the Canes like he portends to be

If his nephew was a football star, he'd be all but demanding he go to Miami and play for a .500 career coach though. He clearly has an agenda and isn't all about the Canes like he portends to be

100%. It’s really awful. And as much as I love and appreciate L, no coach is ever above criticism… even including Coach L after bringing Miami to a final four.

But what @Brooklyndee is saying is just wrong and spiteful.

Actually since you're another tool we have tried to get my nephew to come back for football on two separate occasions and I've told him the same. Lol you people really are clueless. It's amusing though to have my approach questioned by people who have never done **** for this university.

Advertisement
Actually since you're another tool we have tried to get my nephew to come back for football on two separate occasions and I've told him the same. Lol you people really are clueless. It's amusing though to have my approach questioned by people who have never done **** for this university.
I know, we should all just bow down to you and kiss your feet because you're so awesome. No, I didn't attend Miami because I couldn't afford the $30,000/year tuition back then. I was a straight A student but not an athlete who got a free ride like you did. Instead, I served over 26 years in the military defending your freedoms like all my brothers and sisters in arms...along the way, I earned 4 degrees. I used to be a Hurricane Club member at a lower level, which was all I could afford. I traveled over 4,800 miles to watch the debacle in the final OB game. I used to watch Canes games at 4 AM in Kuwait, and I ran a mile in full battle gear (wearing my Kevlar flak vest and helmet with chem bag in tow) to catch the end of the Miami-FSU OT game in 2004 when Gore scored the winning TD. So, get the **** out of here with never doing anything for a university I never attended, just I'm a fan of. *******

Call it whatever you like. Don't really give a ****. Myself while I'll certainly defend Mario I also hold him accountable for his issues. Yall should do the same with coach L. He's never (here atleast)built a team with any size. I won't argue for coach Hamilton and what he did here without any support at all. You my friend are a blatant moron if you think this team has no support and no resources. Nil is arguably more important to basketball than it is football & its certainly not an issue for us. Funny **** to say I'm going out of my way to hurt the program cause I finally make several comments on a message board for us. Unless ur saying that over my nephew and if so **** all the way off. My nephew is 7ft and a dominant inside force. He's a **** good shooter and amazing distributor. You would let your family come to a program that sees no value in size? If so that's on u.

Dee, honest questions for you (after my bulid-up paragraph)... :LOL:

Coach L had early success with size, guys like Kenny Kadji and Julian Gamble (though he didn't recruit them). More recently, he had Huell/Hernandez and Waardenburg, who sound like they might have similar games (for big men) compared to your nephew. And maybe Norchad is not the height you are really looking for, though I've loved him since the minute he got to UM (pointed him out to my brother at the UCF game in Orlando and told him Norchad was gonna be a star).

Do you think that Larranaga has had some bad luck with certain recruits? Or does he need to hire an assistant who is a stone-cold developer of big men? I'd love to see the team have more height, but I've also been thrilled to go to Chicago and Kansas City and Houston over the last couple of years. You know me, I'm an alum who showed up to all those mid games at the Knight Center and old Miami Arena in the 1980s...

Spiteful huh. Good one.
You literally wrote “If Mario was the basketball coach and had recruited this team and done the dumb **** coach l continues to do this season…” and said L stands on the sideline like a “corpse”.

You’re either bitter or incredibly “not-smart”

Using Mario as the basis to compare and denigrate Coach L might be one of the dumbest things ever posted on this board… and that’s a pretty special achievement.

While I’m ****ed that you’re on here talking **** about the guy who took our basketball program from a black hole to back 2 back elite 8 and final 4 appearances (and has won multiple ACC regular seasons and has averaged a sweet 16 appearance once out of every 3 years he’s been at Miami)… I’m honestly more just embarrassed for you.

Advertisement
I know, we should all just bow down to you and kiss your feet because you're so awesome. No, I didn't attend Miami because I couldn't afford the $30,000/year tuition back then. I was a straight A student but not an athlete who got a free ride like you did. Instead, I served over 26 years in the military defending your freedoms like all my brothers and sisters in arms...along the way, I earned 4 degrees. I used to be a Hurricane Club member at a lower level, which was all I could afford. I traveled over 4,800 miles to watch the debacle in the final OB game. I used to watch Canes games at 4 AM in Kuwait, and I ran a mile in full battle gear (wearing my Kevlar flak vest and helmet with chem bag in tow) to catch the end of the Miami-FSU OT game in 2004 when Gore scored the winning TD. So, get the **** out of here with never doing anything for a university I never attended, just I'm a fan of. *******

Respect and appreciation.

It's not the team that's a disappointment. You all simply won't call a spade a spade. Buddy has recruited virtually zero size and prioritized an average scorer as the primary scorer. They're not capable of playing the same game as the previous two seasons because we don't have a impact scorer and all these under sized guards are simply average. Pack should be the priority as a shooter and George should be the second option. Wooga poplar is not some high value scorer. If Mario was the basketball coach and had recruited this team and done the dumb **** coach l continues to do this season he'd be crucified. I get it hes had a he'll of a career and has took this program to new levels. But the way this team has been built is a joke. He's recruiting my nephew and I told him and my nephew not a chance in **** he's coming here.
There's no question this team has been a major disappointment thus far. That being said, we're currently on a 2 game winning streak sitting at 14-6 with 11 games left to go in the regular season. I can understand why you're directing some of your criticism towards Coach L. If we're going to laud him when we're winning and making deep runs in the tournament, then surely he can take some of the blame when we're underachieving. I agree with you, that roster composition has left a lot to be desired. My qualm however is with the lack of size. I don't have a problem with the group of guards/wings on the team. It may not be stacked with future NBA players, but I think we've got a very good group of college perimeter players. Pack, Poplar and Cleveland will start on every team in the ACC. George and Joseph would start on many of them as well. My biggest beef with what I've seen thus far has been Coach L's approach with this squad. I think he's should've reined them in a long time ago. Put a stop to all the goofiness on offense. The 25 foot bombs. The careless turnovers. And don't get me started on the defense and rebounding. This team has shot itself in the foot time and time again. The lack of focus and discipline falls squarely on coaching. I have no problem saying Coach L has to do a better job of coaching them up and righting this ship. I don't wanna hear about players not taking coaching. Ultimately, it's his job to get it done. As Canes fans, let's hope he gets this thing turned around. There's still time to do so. GO CANES!!!

Last edited:
While I can certainly say I appreciate all of your contributions, I don't get you and your comrades personal insults. I've never once tried to get anyone to look at me any kind of way period. I simply speak my mind. As a result of that both of you have insulted me right and left. I guess you both think that separates us from each other. Either way because I respect my grandparents and I respect military contributions I'll simply stop going back and forth. If you choose to continue that tells me all I need to know about you and your story.

Advertisement
You really should stop. Cause now you wanna tout the accolades of 6'7 omier and call him a center. The lone presence who even attempts to go after a rebound. Omier is a beast. Thank God the kid has the motor and the length that he has. Don't forget the team has no support or resources. So clearly that nil that got him in the first place and then upping him and pack bag to get them to come back and Cleveland to come in the first place. Amazing how zero support or resources work. Guess you don't see this teams success coinciding with nil starting up. Strange right.
I don’t have a dog in this fight but you lost the argument here. Either youre saying your nephew doesn’t have the ability or motor Omier has or you’re saying look how good Omier is as an undersized center under L. Meaning a bigger center with equal talent could be even better.

Personally L would be the first coach in any Miami sport men’s or women’s I would want my kid playing for. He’s a proven winner who has almost always finished above expectations and he is a great human. To argue against either of those points is agenda driven and flat wrong.

Dee, honest questions for you (after my bulid-up paragraph)... :LOL:

Coach L had early success with size, guys like Kenny Kadji and Julian Gamble (though he didn't recruit them). More recently, he had Huell/Hernandez and Waardenburg, who sound like they might have similar games (for big men) compared to your nephew. And maybe Norchad is not the height you are really looking for, though I've loved him since the minute he got to UM (pointed him out to my brother at the UCF game in Orlando and told him Norchad was gonna be a star).

Do you think that Larranaga has had some bad luck with certain recruits? Or does he need to hire an assistant who is a stone-cold developer of big men? I'd love to see the team have more height, but I've also been thrilled to go to Chicago and Kansas City and Houston over the last couple of years. You know me, I'm an alum who showed up to all those mid games at the Knight Center and old Miami Arena in the 1980s...
In my eyes it's not that he can't get bigs. It's what bigs would want to come here and play a complimentary role. A big isn't simply a big because of his height. It's his style of play that defines him. Coach L simply prioritizes guards and wing play. Anyone acting like that's wrong to say just would simply rather not acknowledge truth. Out of all of those people you mentioned who has been a big? **** near all of them spent more time on the wing then they did in the paint. Again I understand it's a new day with how basketball is being played. But at what point is it not obvious we need some form of length to compete with size. Because if all you do is rely on jump shooters where will you be. Where we are. Simple. People wanna get in their feelings and that's fine. But it still doesn't Change this team being flawed.

In my eyes it's not that he can't get bigs. It's what bigs would want to come here and play a complimentary role. A big isn't simply a big because of his height. It's his style of play that defines him. Coach L simply prioritizes guards and wing play. Anyone acting like that's wrong to say just would simply rather not acknowledge truth. Out of all of those people you mentioned who has been a big? **** near all of them spent more time on the wing then they did in the paint. Again I understand it's a new day with how basketball is being played. But at what point is it not obvious we need some form of length to compete with size. Because if all you do is rely on jump shooters where will you be. Where we are. Simple. People wanna get in their feelings and that's fine. But it still doesn't Change this team being flawed.

I disagree with you main point. We proved last year and the year before you can make a final four or deep run without true bigs. Mid majors prove it every year. There is more than one way to play this game and I believe L has the ability to play to the best of his teams abilities (although this year so far is not great). If we had a dominate big (tall guy) I’m sure they would be utilized but those are few and far between. I don’t think L is going to stick a 7’ Out there just because he’s tall.

I do agree we needed 2 more portal player this year and one of those should have been a taller guy but I’m sure it’s hard to find someone like that to come in the portal and not start.

There's no question this team has been a major disappointment thus far. That being said, we're currently on a 2 game winning streak sitting at 14-6 with 11 games left to go in the regular season. I can understand why you're directing some of your criticism towards Coach L. If we're going to laud him when we're winning and making deep runs in the tournament, then surely he can take some of the blame when we're underachieving. I agree with you, that roster composition has left a lot to be desired. My qualm however is with the lack of size. I don't have a problem with the group of guards/wings on the team. It may not be stacked with future NBA players, but I think we've got a very good group of college perimeter players. Pack, Poplar and Cleveland will start on every team in the ACC. George and Joseph would start on many of them as well. My biggest beef with what I've seen thus far has been Coach L's approach with this squad. I think he's should've reined them in a long time ago. Put a stop to all the goofiness on offense. The 25 foot bombs. The careless turnovers. And don't get me started on the lack of defense and rebounding. This team has shot itself in the foot time and time again. I have no problem saying Coach L has to do a better job of coaching them up and righting this ship. I don't wanna hear about players not taking coaching. Ultimately, it's his job to get it done. As Canes fans, let's hope he gets this thing turned around. There's still time to do so. GO CANES!!!
That's my only issue as well. Obviously his approach works for him. But it only works witha certain amount of maturity. If he just stands there leaning against the scorers table and not holding people accountable than this will continue to happen. We will continue to go up 20 only to get ran down etc etc. Personally I think long term George has the potential to be a lottery pick. I love that kids upside. But right now pack needs to lead this team. Cleveland needs to lead this team. You need consistency. To me that's the two of them and omier with his length. People can say till their blue in the face the fact he's a center. But that's ONLY in title. The kids arms are tree trunks and his explosiveness up and down the court I can't remember having here since someone like Guillermo Diaz. Another kid his size had nothing to do with his game. His effort level and his motor allow him to exploit the people he matches up against. But he needs another option that can contribute inside otherwise he'll stay tired and in foul trouble. Maybe nwoko can help. But I doubt it. I think with this team it just is what it is.

Advertisement
Back