This is why South Florida is the football capital

Advertisement
Agreed. That short little story epitomizes most SF mothers as they instill a hard work ethic into their sons. In certain families, I wish moms had a bigger voice because they often want their babies to stay home and put on for the city. S/O to Mama Taylor, I think she would get along with Mama Roberts! :)

Last edited:
Advertisement
I coached youth football in Tampa for years and used to marvel at and praise all those single mothers. More Black than White, that worked all day, brought their kids to practice, took them home, fed them and did homework. Then brought them to games that were sometimes out of town. There are a lot of good men, but far too many trifling *** mf'ers who either do nothing or just think child support is enough for their boy.

Advertisement
From my experiences working with certain youth populations (one of my companies only works with Title I kids), it's a "hungry to rise" thing. Not necessarily a geographical thing, nor a race thing. But, naturally that hunger does correlate to certain populations in certain locations.

There are tons of South Florida parents who are in outer space. There are white, black, latin, and immigrant moms and dads who are in outer space with their guidance, too. I have an internship program with 20 interns this summer. 100% minority participants. Without fail, it's the ones with at least one strong, focused parent who bring the most value to our projects.

Ya'll should see a focused kid whose parents came from India, Haiti, or escaped Venezuela. Their willingness to grind and perseverance burst through even when they're the "smartest" kid in a group. I'm talking kids who've already been awarded Questbridge Scholarships (basically a full ride match program to top IVYs). The common denominator is each has a parent in their ear clawing away at any entitlement that might grow.

The flipside are a few very talented kids we give opportunities to who are only now getting access to mentorship. Their attitudes are different. Their willingness to push through is founded more on the guidance of equally lost peers.

Wish all of our future players had the same access to great mentors - in-home or our community would step up.

Advertisement
I coached youth football in Tampa for years and used to marvel at and praise all those single mothers. More Black than White, that worked all day, brought their kids to practice, took them home, fed them and did homework. Then brought them to games that were sometimes out of town. There are a lot of good men, but far too many trifling *** mf'ers who either do nothing or just think child support is enough for their boy.
What team you coached for?

My single Mom was tough as nails as well. She could out cuss any sailor and instilled a high work ethic along with honesty and integrity. Quitting was not an option and I was taught to give it my all in any endeavor. These traits have served me well my entire life.

It encourages me tremendously when I see Mom's like Mrs. Taylor teaching their sons the same things my Mom taught me.

Advertisement

I am white, but I grew with a single mom and we were poor as ****. She was very similar-- worked three jobs and moved us across the world to give me a better shot at getting an education/life. Definitely would not have been nearly as successful as I am today if not for her. Failure was never an option if something was possible to achieve. Those values and work ethic are definitely positive things for the kids we get to have.

Advertisement
Back