This is how you know you are getting oooold...

Advertisement
Remind me, form one old guy to another.
That year we recruited Bobby Washington, Charlie Jones and ________. Maybe it was just those 2. All of which looked great on paper and didn't amount to anything

Andrew Johnson (4-star out of Pittsburgh) was the other highly rated guy. Someone mentioned Derron Thomas too, same recruiting class.

But I really really wanted to get Bobby Washington to UM. He was not DIRECTLY accused of cheating on the SAT, but they felt that his score increase was not legit, so they told him to take it again.

Advertisement
Bobby actually had an ok football career in college finishing at EASTERN KENTUCKY.

When he was at NC state he was one of their better backs. They just had some players of the years in the state of nc there at the same time.

Top 4 recruit in a class that had A.P. and Lynch. At one point we, technically, had 2 of the top 4.

You aren't that old. Bobby senior just got busy. Its only been 17 years since he was a recruit. This is why big time programs have childcare services for current players.

And Thomas Brown #5!

Advertisement
Bobby Washington's son just got an offer from UM.

And I'm STILL mad about our RB recruiting that year...
I coached against him when he was a freshman MLB for some little private school that started with a C.. I don't even remember. He completely dominated. We couldn't block him. But we were never gonna get him.. Between the handlers and the test-takers... Forget about it.

I coached against him when he was a freshman MLB for some little private school that started with a C.. I don't even remember. He completely dominated. We couldn't block him. But we were never gonna get him.. Between the handlers and the test-takers... Forget about it.

I don't understand this mentality. He was a verbal commit to UM.

Advertisement
and a um fan...if it wasnt for the sat thing he would been a cane back and likely perform ok for us

Yeah, I think that the SAT/academic thing is key.

A lot of people overlook the small size of UM and the academic structure that UM has provided to athletes since Dr. Anna Price was first hired by JJ. I realize that the "headlines" are dominated by things like "LSU builds new study hall", but the truth is that the most important factors are the Academic Support employees and staff, and how the Athletic Department assists the players in picking majors/coursework and scheduling their academic time.

Some of the "big state schools" can be confusing for athletes who might not be coming from the strongest HS academic program, and it is easy to get lost within all the programs.

At UM, most of the athletes end up in the Business School or the School of Communications. The curriculum is tight, a lot of the players are able to take classes together, and the tutors are able to focus on core coursework. UM has been providing great Academic Support for over 30 years, and the proof is in the APR rates, the graduation rates, and the fact that VERY FEW of the UM kids ever drop-out/flunk-out without getting an undergrad degree.

I think Bobby got a little lost at NC State, or at least he never got into a groove on the academic side up there. I'm not saying he would have been Phi Beta Kappa at UM, but I think he would have had a better shot of getting the structure he needed for his success.

Advertisement
Top 4 recruit in a class that had A.P. and Lynch. At one point we, technically, had 2 of the top 4. And 3 of the top 7. And 4 of the top 15.....

You aren't that old. Bobby senior just got busy. Its only been 17 years since he was a recruit. This is why big time programs have childcare services for current players.
Weird seeing Thomas brown back then

IIRC, his girl took the SAT for him then told on him when he cheated on her lol

Even if the scores didn't get exposed, back then all the players down South were getting fake diplomas from Antron Wright's diploma mill in Goulds so he still would've had issues

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back