This is how I feel about the direction of the U

Advertisement
EVWRYONE sleeping on a HUGE issue here! We need players to stay for 4 years like they do at Washington, Michigan and the lesser schools that beat us bc their players stay for 4-5 years. Expecting freshman and sophomores to beat 4 and 5 year seniors consistently will NEVER take you to the promised land even if the roster looks good on paper. Our dominant teams had monsters play through senior year bc they could not leave. Use NIL to get SOME to stay. We will never ever get to the playoffs otherwise. Rutgers was exhibit A for this but man we have lost many games to inferior rosters bc they were older and wiser.

View attachment 276425Regardless of how we feel, Mario, Dawson, JB and Emory are what he have next season. Hopefully, the Canes coaches and players have learned from their mistakes because I don’t see any high calibre transfer QBs walking into this program
I couldn't disagree more. We will get a guy because it is Divine Providence. 😇⛪ We will be fuccin' then everyone will give Mario his props.

No matter how good u recruit u need to be able to get quality qbs and be innovative. Mario hasn’t proven he can do either. They both kinda go hand and hand so if one gets fixed, most likely the other one. Mario should focus on innovation, then the qb and stacking high quality recruits will follow.

Advertisement
As I've said as nauseum, we don't have time to stack 17 classes before expecting Mario to compete at a high level. He needs no less than 9 wins or else he will lose his job. in the next season.

I believe he'll win 10. We'll see.

What about Nick Saban at Bama? He didn't come into a loaded roster. His first championship team was with a group of perennial losers.
What Saban did was abnormal. Done with his coach/CEO talent combined with the assistance of a local car dealership and a lot of cash handshakes. That said, nobody is saying Mario is Nick Saban

What Saban did was abnormal. Done with his coach/CEO talent combined with the assistance of a local car dealership and a lot of cash handshakes. That said, nobody is saying Mario is Nick Saban
What about Bob Stoops at OU? He took over a 5-7 team that was down and had a ring in two years. He didn't have the portal only the loser players of the previous regime.

Advertisement

SIAP but I agree with this and have since Mario got here. Y’all can argue it amongst yourselves just letting people know where I am at.

It’s wild to me that every debate about this gets so ******* granular

We are 12-13 under this dude
Me hunting down and ultimately dealing with a CiS poster defending Mario on his phone:

As I've said as nauseum, we don't have time to stack 17 classes before expecting Mario to compete at a high level. He needs no less than 9 wins or else he will lose his job. in the next season.

I believe he'll win 10. We'll see.
Lose his job? Next year?

Advertisement
If Miami doesn’t get a real QB1 recruiting won’t matter. A lot of those recruits will hit the portal after next season. I don’t see Washington or Michigan up there in the recruiting rankings but yet they are playing for the trophy. retaining players after they come to the U is as big a factor as getting them to come in the first place.

Lose his job? Next year?
No way! I mean, he would have to go 5-7 for the powers that be to actually consider it. But, 8 or less wins will begin the inevitable death spiral and he'll part ways the following year. 9 wins means it could go either way and 10 wins or more means he will have the #1 recruiting class in the country and will have too much talent to not win 9 games going forward... maybe...

O
No way! I mean, he would have to go 5-7 for the powers that be to actually consider it. But, 8 or less wins will begin the inevitable death spiral and he'll part ways the following year. 9 wins means it could go either way and 10 wins or more means he will have the #1 recruiting class in the country and will have too much talent to not win 9 games going forward... maybe...
are you familiar with his contract structure?

Advertisement
Gotcha gotcha

I think we will start to see the 2023 class start to take over the team so yeah he will definitely start to lose the excuses

I’ve been less focused on a specific win total and more the eye ball test on how we get there. His big talk better start being backed up by these hand picked culture kids from the 2023 class or I agree his seat will actually start to get a little warm

Either way I think we have a long future with Mario for better or worse

Either way I think we have a long future with Mario for better or worse
I mean, I think that's a good thing. If it goes down the way I think it will, then that's a good thing. I think one certainty is this - he will NEVER be poached by a pro team as a HC. Other college teams? Yes, if he out-talents his inadequacies, but Pro? That's one thing we don't need to worry about.

Advertisement
Back